January 2013 Moms

Camera Lens Recs?

We have a Olympus E510 DSLR. We just have the kit lens (14-42mm) and I'm looking to upgrade before baby girl comes. I'd like a lens that allows for more ability to focus on a subject in the foreground, leaving the background blurred. I think there were a few photographers out there- any help? My poor prego brain is getting overwhelmed sorting through online reviews and options!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Camera Lens Recs?

• Honestly I have no idea about this type of thing but you'll probably get some pretty helpful suggestions on the Photography board. Those ladies are always talking technical!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like your interested in a prime lens allowing a lower aperture. Not sure what lens that would be for your camera.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure exactly which lens would work best for you since I have a Canon, but sounds like you're looking for a 50mm prime, preferably < 2.0f. I absolutely love my 50mm 1.8 - it rarely comes off my camera. But, you have to keep in mind with a prime lens you have to do the zooming with your feet, not the lens.
    BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also have a Canon and will be getting a 50 mm f1.8 for baby pics. I agree that you should look for a fixed focal length and small f#. 
  • imagerunlong3:
    I'm not sure exactly which lens would work best for you since I have a Canon, but sounds like you're looking for a 50mm prime, preferably < 2.0f. I absolutely love my 50mm 1.8 - it rarely comes off my camera. But, you have to keep in mind with a prime lens you have to do the zooming with your feet, not the lens.

This exactly! 

4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• I have a 50mm 1.8 that I LOVE for my Canon....it's sometimes called the "nifty fifty." It was fairly inexpensive too (about $120 on amazon). 

I was recommended to get it from my photography teacher, and I've since convinced several friends to get it. It's a great investment! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto everyone else on the 50mm prime.  

Getting a little more technical, if you want a shallow depth of field AND nicer portrait compression, the 85 1.8 would be a slightly better lens than the 50 1.8, but will also be tighter to use indoors because of the longer focal length.  (If none of that sounds like English, get the 50mm 1.8.)

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Thanks, ladies!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelittlemaybaby:

Ditto everyone else on the 50mm prime.  

Getting a little more technical, if you want a shallow depth of field AND nicer portrait compression, the 85 1.8 would be a slightly better lens than the 50 1.8, but will also be tighter to use indoors because of the longer focal length.  (If none of that sounds like English, get the 50mm 1.8.)

Definitely this! :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"