Postpartum Depression

I need help

I think I am dealing with a mixture of postpartum depression and post traumatic stress disorder. My pregnancy was downright horrible. I had two broken feet in my third trimester, then ended up with kidney stones, hydronephrosis and acute kidney failure resulting in premature rupture of membranes and an emergency c-section under general anesthesia along with a premature baby in the NICU for 2 weeks. I thought I would feel better once my daughter came home but I don't. I'm constantly anxious, constantly crying, feeling overwhelmingly like I failed my baby... I don't know what to do. Every time I fall asleep I dream about the pain I was in. I keep reliving the experience- especially the part where I was begging the medical staff to kill me because it would make the unbelievable pain go away. I contacted the behavioral health center the hospital referred me to and they don't have any appointments until late October and that's pending my insurance approval.  I'm not sure I can handle feeling this way for that long. 

Re: I need help

• Hang in there!  You are doing a great job and please please please visit postpartumprogress.com for support, reference, help, etc.  I truly believe the site helped me in ways I could never properly illustrate.  Please keep reaching out.  Don't give up.  Hug yourself tightly.  Warmly, a fellow post partum depression and anxiety sufferer! xo
  • I would definitely call your normal doctor. Even if they are specifically a "behavioral health" doctor they could at least get you started on something that may be able to help. When I started dealing with a lot of anxiety and depression a few months ago, I didn't think anything of it until just a month ago when it really started taking a toll on my job and my marriage. I scheduled something with my family practice doctor and he was able to start me on a low dose of an anti-depressant and gave me some extremely helpful advice.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • First off, I am sorry you are going through so much right now - but it will get better. Can you call your OB and ask them to assist you? I know my OB took me pretty quickly (the next day) when I called with PPD. They also referred me to a Psychiatrist which took a couple weeks to get into since the meds the OB put me on weren't working.

You definitely need to talk to someone about this further. If you can't get into the behavioral center or OB, call your GP, someone who can help. They seem to usually be pretty understanding especially if you are reaching out for help.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Thank you for your responses. I'm going to call my GP tomorrow. I love my daughter with my whole heart but I just feel so unbelievably overwhelmed. 
  • imagebeaner1013:
    Hang in there!  You are doing a great job and please please please visit postpartumprogress.com for support, reference, help, etc.  I truly believe the site helped me in ways I could never properly illustrate.  Please keep reaching out.  Don't give up.  Hug yourself tightly.  Warmly, a fellow post partum depression and anxiety sufferer! xo

Thanks for sharing this site!!!  I love it, just checked it out!!  However, how do I sign up for the site...to post things like we do here???

OP....you are not alone!  I am a sufferer too...PPD/PPA.  My major symptom was severe insomnia and I still take 3 different meds 2 years PP.  Sucks, but it does help to see a therapist, psychiatrist and your OB/GYN regularly.  Meds did it for me...they are def. working, thank God!  Keep your head up and get help ASAP so that you can start to feel better!  Good luck and hugs...

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• I'm sorry to hear you have been going through so much!  I can definitely understand feeling so overwhelmed!  But don't give up!  I saw your update that said you are going to call your doctor tomorrow and I'm really glad, I think that is definitely the right decision.  They can get you the help you need until you are able to get into the behavioral health center.  This is not to be taken lightly!  In the meantime, hang in there and know that you are not alone!  <3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"