Parenting after 35

Ooohhhh finally a board to make me feel young :) (teasing!)

i just noticed this board & would love to hear more about the scoop on it!? Hoping it is drama free & maybe ppl talk about how tired they are cuz seriously I've been really tired and sleep deprived for 3 1/2 yrs... (I have 3 yr old twins).

BUT I'm 'only' 37 so am I young???? woohoo! The photo guy at work retouched the wrinkles under my eyes the other day for a stock photo for some publication thing & I was so freakin' happy. It's the little things.

ETA: I saw some application details:

1. pegging pants was my ultimate dream as I am only 5' and this made ALL pants fit me! I wore my older brother's Cavaricci pants pegged and can only imagine how much shorter & wider that made me look...I do secretely wish it would come back so I could wear more pants again. Sigh. However, I am ashamed that I had a pair of purple rayon 'drop crotch' (ala MC Hammer) pants from express that I wore around the same time. yikes.

2. To poof my bangs, I used a big curling iron to roll half of them down toward my face & then rolled the other half back toward the top of my hair for 2 big rolls and then sprayed the crap out of them. As I matured into the 8th grade however, I took a pick to them & fluffed them out nicely before the spray (Salon Selectives b/c it smelled like apples). 

Hope that helps me qualify.

Re: Ooohhhh finally a board to make me feel young :) (teasing!)

• imagegroovygrl:

To poof my bangs, I used a big curling iron to roll half of them down toward my face & then rolled the other half back toward the top of my hair for 2 big rolls and then sprayed the crap out of them. As I matured into the 8th grade however, I took a pick to them & fluffed them out nicely before the spray (Salon Selectives b/c it smelled like apples). 

This exactly. If you were brunette, wore glasses, and on the chubby side, we probably have identical high school yearbook photos.

Welcome! I'm a newbie on this board - 37 and my LO is 2 weeks old. These ladies are wonderful and full of helpful and flame-free advice. It was a breezy transition from the other awesome bump board, PG 35+.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebenniferbaby:
    imagegroovygrl:

To poof my bangs, I used a big curling iron to roll half of them down toward my face & then rolled the other half back toward the top of my hair for 2 big rolls and then sprayed the crap out of them. As I matured into the 8th grade however, I took a pick to them & fluffed them out nicely before the spray (Salon Selectives b/c it smelled like apples). 

This exactly. If you were brunette, wore glasses, and on the chubby side, we probably have identical high school yearbook photos.

Welcome! I'm a newbie on this board - 37 and my LO is 2 weeks old. These ladies are wonderful and full of helpful and flame-free advice. It was a breezy transition from the other awesome bump board, PG 35+.

<giggle> At least I know I'm not the only one who did that with the bangs - I got to the point I just went in for perms so I didn't even have to think in the morning, I could just go at it with the brush and Rave 4 and go...  It worked just as good as Aqua Cement but smelled SO much better!!!

This board seems to be pretty quiet/drama free for the most part.  We're old enough that the young'ns ware us out! LOL

Btw - Zubaz (i.e. Hammer pants) are one of the few fashion companies that never went out of business after the 80's - they're still going strong here in Minnesota!!! 

Let's see - trends I'd like to see back from when we were kids...  I'd have to say society's view of parenting where you could use what worked for the child within reason of course and no one belittled you.  I just find it tough to relate to a some of the parents of today from time to time.  I grew up that adults were in charge (within reason of course) and that we never were to talk back or anything of the sort.  Now, if you so much as look at your child funny they're calling the authorities on you!  Also now adays it's tough to find a single current TV show that is family friendly and doesn't marginalize parents. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegroovygrl:
    i just noticed this board amp; would love to hear more about the scoop on it!? Hoping it is drama free amp; maybe ppl talk about how tired they are cuz seriously I've been really tired and sleep deprived for 3 1/2 yrs... I have 3 yr old twins.BUT I'm 'only' 37 so am I young???? woohoo! The photo guy at work retouched the wrinkles under my eyes the other day for a stock photo for some publication thing amp; I was so freakin' happy. It's the little things.nbsp;ETA: I saw some application details:1. pegging pants was my ultimate dream as I am only 5' and this made ALL pants fit me! I wore my older brother's Cavaricci pants pegged and can only imagine how much shorter amp; wider that made me look...I do secretely wish it would come back so I could wear more pants again. Sigh. However, I am ashamed that I had a pair of purple rayon 'drop crotch' ala MC Hammer pants from express that I wore around the same time. yikes.2. To poof my bangs, I used a big curling iron to roll half of them down toward my face amp; then rolled the other half back toward the top of my hair for 2 big rolls and then sprayed the crap out of them. As I matured into the 8th grade however, I took a pick to them amp; fluffed them out nicely before the spray Salon Selectives b/c it smelled like apples.nbsp;Hope that helps me qualify. nbsp;
    I like you already

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yeah, you'll do just fine here.

Have you noticed the trend among Hollywood celebs to shave the sides of their heads.. Rhianna, Miley, etc.

Let me be the cautionary tale.  I did it in the mid/late 80s.  Pat Benetar/Cyndi Lauper, et al.    The hair right over my ears is now super kinky and weird.   I blame that very questionable fashion choice.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey and welcome!
  • imageBrideBuddies:

Yeah, you'll do just fine here.

Have you noticed the trend among Hollywood celebs to shave the sides of their heads.. Rhianna, Miley, etc.

Let me be the cautionary tale.  I did it in the mid/late 80s.  Pat Benetar/Cyndi Lauper, et al.    The hair right over my ears is now super kinky and weird.   I blame that very questionable fashion choice.

HA i was on pinterest yesterday & one of the photos under "popular" was a photo of Rihanna w/ long hair & the side shaved and all I could think was, wow, that looks so.bad. Why are ppl pinning this? Plus I feel like it fit PB &CL back in the day & does not at all fit Rihanna...

• imagebenniferbaby:
    imagegroovygrl:

Well, I have to be honest...I wised up in h.s. and grew out the bangs & perm and wore my hair long & straight...also got contacts in 8th grade b/c some kid made fun of my glasses in 7th grade...  LOL.

• imageELF4321:
    imagegroovygrl:
    i just noticed this board amp; would love to hear more about the scoop on it!? Hoping it is drama free amp; maybe ppl talk about how tired they are cuz seriously I've been really tired and sleep deprived for 3 1/2 yrs... I have 3 yr old twins.BUT I'm 'only' 37 so am I young???? woohoo! The photo guy at work retouched the wrinkles under my eyes the other day for a stock photo for some publication thing amp; I was so freakin' happy. It's the little things.nbsp;ETA: I saw some application details:1. pegging pants was my ultimate dream as I am only 5' and this made ALL pants fit me! I wore my older brother's Cavaricci pants pegged and can only imagine how much shorter amp; wider that made me look...I do secretely wish it would come back so I could wear more pants again. Sigh. However, I am ashamed that I had a pair of purple rayon 'drop crotch' ala MC Hammer pants from express that I wore around the same time. yikes.2. To poof my bangs, I used a big curling iron to roll half of them down toward my face amp; then rolled the other half back toward the top of my hair for 2 big rolls and then sprayed the crap out of them. As I matured into the 8th grade however, I took a pick to them amp; fluffed them out nicely before the spray Salon Selectives b/c it smelled like apples.nbsp;Hope that helps me qualify. nbsp;
    I like you already
    Yes
  • You do seem young to me! I'm 7 years old than you at 42 and probably could have babysat for you.

Hobbling away with my cane...

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • imagerobynlesley:

You do seem young to me! I'm 7 years old than you at 42 and probably could have babysat for you.

And since I'm 3 years older than you, Robyn, I'd be the older, cool neighbor who taught everyone how to smoke and sneak beers in their jackets.

• imagerobynlesley:

You do seem young to me! I'm 7 years old than you at 42 and probably could have babysat for you.

If I may tease...you are getting a little senile cuz that is only 5 yrs ;) Might want to start taking that gingko biloba or something. LOL.

• imagerobynlesley:

You are young - I am 41 (42 in December) but welcome - you will love this drama free board - it can be slow but its a great place to hang out.  By the way, as I said, I am 41 and have a 6 year old DD who just starting kindergarten last week and a 4 1/2 year old DD who just started PreK (both full time at the same school).  I work full time - 3-4 days a week from home and the rest of the time in the office.  And for the record - I loved pegged pants!

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imagegroovygrl:
    imagerobynlesley:

If I may tease...you are getting a little senile cuz that is only 5 yrs ;) Might want to start taking that gingko biloba or something. LOL.

Yikes! I'm not only OLD... I'm SENILE!!! Embarrassed

Math not my strong suit. LOLz!

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Welcome!  I recognize you from the Working Moms board.   We are older, but very, very wise.  Or at least pretend to be.  LOL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I try to check in on this board from time to time. I'm 40 with an 8 month old baby boy. I've never felt my age but lately I finally feel 40. I've been exhausted. I really need to get back to working out regularly so I'll feel young again :-) ANYWAYS - I shaved one side of my head one night when my parents were out one night. When they got home I had the hood of my sweatshirt over my head and it took them a while to figure it out! YIKES! And in high school i definitely did the bang thang!! Whew they were high!!! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"