VBAC
Options

? for those with VBAC success

So, question for those of you that had VBAC success: if your first labor stalled and then led to a c-section, what made your VBAC a success? I wasn't even dilated until the day I had my first but today at 36w I am already 1cm...do you think this bodes well at all? Baby is head down too and I am assuming cervix is effaced somewhat though doc didn't mention that part. Ideas? Or means nothing really?
6 & 2 year old, 2 losses

Re: ? for those with VBAC success

• Options

What made all the difference was having a doula, a pro-VBAC birth team with supportive and patient care providers, and a pro-VBAC hospital.  I also educated myself on what my options really were prior to labor starting.  And I attended local ICAN meetings for emotional support and healing.  Dilation and effacement are certainly helpful for VBACs, but neither are indications that a VBAC will happen.

All that being said... What REALLY made both of my VBACs successful?  To be honest, things just worked out for me.  There's no "sure fire" way to guarantee a VBAC birth.  You just go in as prepared as you can be and have faith that everything will work out the way it's supposed to.  

Have faith in your body and in the process of birth.  GL to you! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    imagebabyike:
    What made all the difference was having a doula, a proVBAC birth team with supportive and patient care providers, and a proVBAC hospital. nbsp;I also educated myself on what my options really were prior to labor starting. nbsp;And I attended local ICAN meetings for emotional support and healing. nbsp;Dilation and effacement are certainly helpful for VBACs, but neither are indications that a VBAC will happen.All that being said... What REALLY made both of my VBACs successful? nbsp;To be honest, things just worked out for me. nbsp;There's no "sure fire" way to guarantee a VBAC birth. nbsp;You just go in as prepared as you can be and have faith that everything will work out the way it's supposed to. nbsp;Have faith in your body and in the process of birth. nbsp;GL to you!nbsp;

All of this. Well said. I do also think that really focusing on optimal fetal positioning helped me. I went to a chiropractor regularly and I followed all the tips at spinning babies.com. I would crawl around the room every night while watching tv. Getting him in a good position helped my cervix dilate and efface.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I have been doing a ton of reading and research and things like yoga, birth ball, squats, etc. I am open to the VBAC if I go into labor prior to my RCS otherwise I will have the section. I was just wondering if my body might do this before then and if being dilated so early on might be a good sign. I am willing to have a trial of labor since i have heard any is good for the baby. We will see what happens. my doc is supportive either way but she is really hesitant based on my pelvis, blah blah. Time will tell!
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • Options

I feel like the difference for me was a more patient provider. I was  "failure to progress" the first time and had a c/s about 15 hours after I was induced.

With my vbac, I was again stalled out and not making much progress 15 hours in... but my OB was in less of a hurry to get home and so we waited another 14 hours before DS was ready to come out.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    For me, I just found a MW who was willing to allow me to go to 42 weeks and would honestly try what she could to help me. I had to get past my fears/anxieties/disappointments from my c/s and trust that my body would do what it needed to do. Even when I was a few days away from an impending c-section, my MW talked to me and made sure I wasn't tensing up or feeling depressed/disappointed again that I'm going down the same road and just kept believing in myself.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

The thing that made my VBAC work was that this time the baby was positioned well. With DD1, she never descended. There was never a reason given, it just wasn't happening after 40 hours of labor.

I had the same midwife for all of my deliveries at the same hospital. It did help that she was very pro-VBAC and really wanted it to work for me. Even when there were complications she still pushed me to go for it,

I don't think that being dilated at 36 weeks means anything. I've always been dilated a little by 36 weeks and each labor was still very different.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"