February 2012 Moms
Options

Give me a break......

I learned long ago that there are 3 topics that people feel personally passionate about and tend to differ on individually - and these topics can drive people apart.

These are:

- Sex

- Religion

- Politics

For each one of these topics, individuals tend to have specialized viewpoints that are highly personal to them.  Their views and actions in these topics may work for one person, and may not work for another.

So what may "work" for me and be a personal truth for me in an area may be offensive to you.  I suppose I am somewhat a believer in moral relativism.  But what I know is that each person has their own path.  Long term, lessons are learned the easy way or the hard way for everyone. I try to let peoples' decisions in these areas be their personal business, unless they want to ask me for my opinion. (And there is a clear difference between sharing information and asking for an opinion.)

For the sake of keeping a close-knit group and not driving people apart on topics that really aren't related to our purpose for being in the group, can we agree to keep our opinions to ourselves (unless asked for), and try to understand that there is no one exact perfect right way to be and/or think in any of these areas for everyone in the world?

Please???

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Give me a break......

• Options

Let me think about that.

No. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well at least you thought about it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought we already shut this door...when did it open up again?

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Oh I'm sorry, the cheaters would like to stop talking about the fact that they're cheaters, and we should respect that, because they're such respectful people themselves. 

We'll talk about what we want. The only dead horse here is people trying to control the topics and attitudes of the board.  

• Options

Actually, Shoe, I just think you're being immature.

But it also appears that you are enjoying the drama and getting pleasure from it, so perhaps I should keep my mouth shut and let you get your kicks? Feel free to respond back with more flaming and I hope I can help you get the release you are looking for.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Well in my opinion, it's immature to say, "hey guys, these topics are too  sensitive, let's just avoid them altogether and only talk abut babies. Babies are safe." 

Topics like sex, politics and religion are important. As adults, we should be able to have real conversations about them, especially on an anonymous forum. And sure, if people are going to whine about those conversations, I'm going to make fun of them. They aren't acting like adults, so why should I have to? 

Did I mention I'm rubber and you're glue? 

• Options
    I do agree that the topics are important, and I am certainly not opposed to real conversations about them.  I suppose what I am trying to say is that because the topics are so important to most people, it's easy to become emotional and let the conversations degrade into bickering and belittling - sharing thoughts and opinions that make the situation worse rather than improving it.  I am all for open-minded, objective, opinion sharing.  Judging each other hurts our relationships with each other and makes it more difficult to learn from and support each other.  Gently sharing a different perspective tends to bring people together and increases the chances of learning.  I am not saying we shouldn't talk about these topics.  I am simply suggesting some ground rules for how we do so in the hope that we can share dissenting opinions without drama.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagelivinginashoe:

Oh I'm sorry, the cheaters would like to stop talking about the fact that they're cheaters, and we should respect that, because they're such respectful people themselves. 

We'll talk about what we want. The only dead horse here is people trying to control the topics and attitudes of the board.  

Sorry, I've been gone all day and missed your input on the threads below. I thought the thread was dead since I didn't see new replies this morning.

Anyways, I don't mind talking about the subjects above but I feel like the conversation about the FFFC thread is getting old. When you've read the same point 10X, you start to not care about it anymore.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagelivinginashoe:

Topics like sex, politics and religion are important. As adults, we should be able to have real conversations about them, especially on an anonymous forum. And sure, if people are going to whine about those conversations, I'm going to make fun of them. They aren't acting like adults, so why should I have to? 

The irony of this is that the sole person who whined about the "real" conversation we had was the person you "loved". You're so cute, do you know that? Always rooting for an argument.

In any case...I agree that sex, politics are important in the grand scheme of things. I like talking about them. I like that people get passionate and self righteous and cray cray...In the moment, that is. It's nice to hear other people's perspectives, and I do think it applies to parenting. We need to learn to be tolerant of other people's beliefs- or at the very least we need to be aware of them. The world is much bigger than our immediate group of IRL friends and family. That's why places like this exist.

I just hate the part where the same person keeps bringing up the same topic over and over because they feel misunderstood or whatever the case may be. It's an internet forum. People won't always agree, but considering we are all strangers I would think we could express our feelings and move on.

My Colton...Growing up so fast!

And Coralee, his baby sister...On the way!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Bethany, I get where you're coming from... but I'm going to have to say "no" too.

It's nice when this board is peaceful and fun with nothing but puppies and rainbows... but that will get old really fast. I like the conversations (even the drama, when not taken too far) that come from the hot button issues.

As adults, we need those discussions. It might not change our views, but it will make us aware of the views of others. Look at it this way, IRL are you going to ignore someone just because they have different opinons than you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Options

Sorry, but I am going to have to agree with Lancy and say no too. Those topics are controversial and always will be, there will always be an argument whether it's those hot topics or baby related (the infamous car seat topic for example) around here. That is the part of freedom of speech that I love, we can voice what we want, when we want to whom we want at any time. And who doesn't like talking about sex??

• Options
    As long as people don't act like they are better than others, I feel we should be able to talk about any topic like grown adults.
  • Options
    Good points, everyone. I guess it just bothered me to see the judgment but you are right, that happens IRL too. Our board is great because we get past it when the drama does occur, and keep on doing what we do :
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"