March 2012 Moms

Non CIO Sleep training ?

Okay, I know I'm behind on this one.. Should have done this closer to 4 months, but DS was still in our room until 6 months, and he was sleeping pretty well until we moved him to his crib.

Anyway, I want to work on sleep training, but I am adamantly against any form of CIO, Ferberinzing, etc.  Can anyone suggest a good method?  What worked best for you and your LO?

Thanks!

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
52 books in 2015?           
image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   

Re: Non CIO Sleep training ?

• I don't know much about sleep training.  I thought I was doing Babywise with both of my girls, but it turns out they were just natural sleepers.  I'm not trying to brag, just point out that different methods work for different babies (and mommies).  I think that CIO gets a bad wrap, when the goal is just to teach baby to self-soothe, not cry themselves to sleep.  If you have a baby that naturally doesn't self-soothe, it's not going to work as well as a baby who will lay there happily on his own.  I can't remember if you've mentioned your childcare situation, but does LO have time to self-entertain during the day?  That might be a place so start.  It seems logical that a more independent baby won't need as much from mom and dad to fall asleep.  I could be way off.  Good luck!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekmhunt11:
    I don't know much about sleep training.  I thought I was doing Babywise with both of my girls, but it turns out they were just natural sleepers.  I'm not trying to brag, just point out that different methods work for different babies (and mommies).  I think that CIO gets a bad wrap, when the goal is just to teach baby to self-soothe, not cry themselves to sleep.  If you have a baby that naturally doesn't self-soothe, it's not going to work as well as a baby who will lay there happily on his own.  I can't remember if you've mentioned your childcare situation, but does LO have time to self-entertain during the day?  That might be a place so start.  It seems logical that a more independent baby won't need as much from mom and dad to fall asleep.  I could be way off.  Good luck!  

You lucky duck!  I'm jealous.. DS is definitely not a naturally great sleeper.  I know that the goal of CIO is to teach babies to self-soothe, but when DS really gets crying (I mostly saw this in the car from about 6 weeks to about 4 months) he'd get SO worked up to the point of choking and I'm sure he'd get to the point of vomiting.

I'm home with DS every other day and he goes to daycare on the days I work.  When he's at daycare, he's one of 4 kids there, so he definitely has some time to self-entertain.  When I'm home with him, I do interact with him a lot, but I also will put him on the floor with some toys or in his highchair, walker or jumperoo.  He's getting a bit more independent, especially now that he's rolling over a ton and is starting to sit.  Maybe it's just a developmental thing and as he becomes more independent, he'll be less reliant on us to fall asleep.  That does make sense, thanks!

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Loading the player...
  • I wish I could do CIO, it would be so much easier... but I just can't! Just thinking about it breaks my heart. 

We're working on transferring DD to her crib from cosleeping. She was also always nursing to sleep, so the first thing I did was break that habit - I just kept popping her off when she was drowsy, giving it back to her if she rooted, then popping her off again after another minute, and doing this over and over until she fell asleep off the breast. We started that a few weeks ago, and now I just pop her off once, and she just goes to sleep on her own.

Then we moved a mattress into her bedroom, and I've been sleeping in there with her so she can get used to it. I've always nursed her to sleep laying on my side, but now I've changed it to rocking in the rocking chair, popping her off so she falls asleep in her own in my arms, and then waiting until she's more relaxing and slowing laying her down on the mattress, then laying down next to her. I was surprised by how well she took it... I thought it would take a lot more work than it did. She usually falls asleep right away, or just kind of fusses around for max 30 mins, but more like 15 min, before just going to sleep. Once she's asleep, I sneak out (but come back at my bedtime to sleep). At night when she wakes up, I do the same thing. 

My next step will be to lay her down and not lay down with her, but leave. Then once that's easy, I'll switch to laying her in the crib. I also read that it's good to put them in their crib during the day and stay with them and play, so they associate it with a safe, happy place to be, so we've been doing that too.

*sigh* that's my own little method I've come up with, I didn't get it from anywhere. And that's why I wish I had the heart to CIO, haha. But it's working for us! And it won't be long now... maybe another week?

Good luck with your LO? Figuring out what to do is so tough...  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I hear you.  K never, ever calms down once she starts crying without soothing.   

imageKrsCrp83:

imagekmhunt11:
    I don't know much about sleep training.  I thought I was doing Babywise with both of my girls, but it turns out they were just natural sleepers.  I'm not trying to brag, just point out that different methods work for different babies (and mommies).  I think that CIO gets a bad wrap, when the goal is just to teach baby to self-soothe, not cry themselves to sleep.  If you have a baby that naturally doesn't self-soothe, it's not going to work as well as a baby who will lay there happily on his own.  I can't remember if you've mentioned your childcare situation, but does LO have time to self-entertain during the day?  That might be a place so start.  It seems logical that a more independent baby won't need as much from mom and dad to fall asleep.  I could be way off.  Good luck!  

You lucky duck!  I'm jealous.. DS is definitely not a naturally great sleeper.  I know that the goal of CIO is to teach babies to self-soothe, but when DS really gets crying (I mostly saw this in the car from about 6 weeks to about 4 months) he'd get SO worked up to the point of choking and I'm sure he'd get to the point of vomiting.

I'm home with DS every other day and he goes to daycare on the days I work.  When he's at daycare, he's one of 4 kids there, so he definitely has some time to self-entertain.  When I'm home with him, I do interact with him a lot, but I also will put him on the floor with some toys or in his highchair, walker or jumperoo.  He's getting a bit more independent, especially now that he's rolling over a ton and is starting to sit.  Maybe it's just a developmental thing and as he becomes more independent, he'll be less reliant on us to fall asleep.  That does make sense, thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKrsCrp83:
    Okay, I know I'm behind on this one.. Should have done this closer to 4 months, but DS was still in our room until 6 months, and he was sleeping pretty well until we moved him to his crib.Anyway, I want to work on sleep training, but I am adamantly against any form of CIO, Ferberinzing, etc.nbsp; Can anyone suggest a good method?nbsp; What worked best for you and your LO?Thanks!

We dealt with the every 3 hrs for a bottle until got comfortable in his room and familiar with his surroundings upon waking up. It sucks but eventually he came around and now STTN. GL
  • Baby whisperer has a great method and has worked out pretty good for us so far

Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"