Food Allergy

Latex and Avacado link

DS is alomst 8 months old and I have had a sneaking suspicion that he is allergic to latex because whenever he chews on his rubber ducky around his lips turn blotchy red.... also, the soft plastic bibs I started using caused redness around his neck. So I stopped using them and it cleared up. So yesterday he had some (very little) avacado (which he has had 3 times before and did fine) and around his lips turned blotchy red for about half hr and then cleared up. An hr and half later when we got home he started puking A LOT! It was obviously a food allergy... I was shocked! But as I have done my research it looks like latex allergy and avacado go hand in hand (along with many other food items)! Anyone else have latex allergy along with a food/or many food items?? I am planning to make apt with Ped this next week to discuss.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Latex and Avacado link

• I've been interested in this subject as well.

My LO has food allergies (egg, milk, nut) and banana was one of the first foods we tried.She did horrible, flared her eczema, she was very itchy and puked all day.I assumed it was an allergy and did some research on it, as I've never heard a banana being allergenic.I found out the connection between latex allergy and banana, as well as avocado, kiwi and mangos.I will not try avocados, for sure...

Of course, we had an allergy test and she tested negative for bananas, but as I've learned- reaction trumps the test. 

Just 2 days ago, I saw some red blotches on my LO's face, that disappeared after a while, just like you describe.I saw your post the other day and went through my DD's toys, but I can't seem to figure out what might have caused the redness. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My husband is allergic to latex, bananas, avocados, and kiwi, but I never realized there was a connection between them! Interesting...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Allergic to soy, oat, egg, peanuts, and tree nuts
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegymkatinka:

I've been interested in this subject as well.

My LO has food allergies (egg, milk, nut) and banana was one of the first foods we tried.She did horrible, flared her eczema, she was very itchy and puked all day.I assumed it was an allergy and did some research on it, as I've never heard a banana being allergenic.I found out the connection between latex allergy and banana, as well as avocado, kiwi and mangos.I will not try avocados, for sure...

Of course, we had an allergy test and she tested negative for bananas, but as I've learned- reaction trumps the test. 

Just 2 days ago, I saw some red blotches on my LO's face, that disappeared after a while, just like you describe.I saw your post the other day and went through my DD's toys, but I can't seem to figure out what might have caused the redness. 

I did some research and it seems most of the large toy companies are latex free UNLESS it says clearly in bold letters on the box... it is the smaller (cheaper) toys that tend to have latex.... If I am unsure, I try to look it up and call company...or just throw it out, not worth the chance

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a severe latex allergy (airborne), diagnosed at 13 and slowly added TONS of related fruits and veggies to my allergy list. I'm now 26 and allergic (ana), to banana, kiwi,chestnuts, water chestnuts, avocado, pineapple, mango, papaya, star fruit, strawberry, ginger, turemic, potato, sweet potato. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting a few things but almost all of those are related to latex, and there are more. Latex is an exposer allergy and some people have a low tollerence so need less exposer to develop an allergy. I'm basically telling you all of this to explain how severe this allergy can become through repeated exposer to latex and/or related foods. A BIG thing to keep a latex sensitive/allergic LO away from are balloons. They are my worst trigger. Walking into a grocery store where they were blown up an hour before can send me into anaphylaxis. My intention is not to scare you, but to help you become informed if your little one is reacting to latex. Not everyone will develop as severe an allergy as mine, and still some will develope worse. In my experience most doctors know very little about true latex allergies. A really great site/support group is https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LAForum/messages. Check it out and ask to join if you'd like to ask questions. There are many moms of latex allergic/sensitive LOs there. Especially helpful to talk to when it comes to sending LO to preschool and school as there are a lot of latex school supplies, and play ground equipment. 

So I know that was major rambling, and I'm really not trying to scare you! I just wish I would have known all of this when I was first diagnosed! I hope this will help at least 1 person :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"