Preemies

home monitor ?

Hi!  I am a new preemie mommy and just got to bring my son home on November 19th after 70 long days in the NICU!  He is on caffiene, prevacid, and a multi-vitamin...so needless to say he also has a home apnea monitor.  The monitor doesn't go off that much so when it does it is pretty scary.  Tonight I had to go to a shower and instead of being breastfed my DS had to have a bottle.  During the feeding he choked and set off his alarm 4 times!  Has anyone else had a similar experience.  Should I be worried that this is something more?  I feel like staying in the NICU for so long makes me project problems that aren't really there!  Thanks!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Weishaars' World

Re: home monitor ?

• I'm sorry, I know nothing about the home monitor, my Logan is still in the hospital.  How early was your Logan?  Congrats on having him home, I'm jealous!
  • Hi, our Logan was born at 28 weeks 3 days on September 10th.  Don't worry, you will be home before you know it and will appreciate every waking cry at 3 AM!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    IVF 1=BFP, beta #1 8dp5dt 24, beta #2 12dp5dt 50, beta #3 14dp5dt 88.9
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Weishaars' World
  • Loading the player...
  • My Logan was born Oct 28 at 29 weeks 2 days.  Why did your Logan have to stay so long?  Right now my Logan's hurdle is eating, he falls asleep too soon to finish a bottle, and they wont send him home til he can finish 8 bottles a day!
  • Campbell set her monitor off several times during feedings.  However, our NICU never counted brady's during feedings b/c it's actually a nerve that gets stimulated when you choke.  Anyone who gets choked can actually technically brady.  I wouldn't worry unless it's every feeding and then you may need to look into if your baby has reflux or if he brady's or has apnea at times other than feedings.  Of course, I'm not a dr so you may just want to check with your pedi...

Btw- congrats on being home!  We were in the NICU for 66 days and it was an amazing feeling to get out.

• Ok, I re-read your post and saw that your DS is already on prevacid so you must know he's got reflux already :) 

Also, another thought, since it only happened when he was taking the bottle, maybe the nipple flow is too fast.  Also, we had to feed Campbell elevated and on her side in order for her not to choke when she was little.

HTH!

• Both of my girls came home on apnea monitors and both alarmed during feedings. ?It didn't happen during EVERY feeding, but it was a pretty common occurrence. ?With Claire, it was how her reflux was diagnosed. ?With Keira, she just outgrew it. ?Congratulations on bringing your little one home. ?It is definitely nerveracking the first couple of weeks, but it does get easier. ?Good luck!
    Claire Avery born at 32 weeks on 10/25/06 Keira Leigh born at 27 weeks on 4/29/08
  • what kind of bottle/nipple are you using?

If you're not already using one, you might try a Dr. Brown's with a preemie nipple. Robbie had trouble with guzzling and choking for a while and it helped a lot.

• The monitors can be really scary when we first came on with ours I was so on edge and felt the same way. As much as I wanted DS home I was unsure about being able to handle a real issue. My DS had very few real alarms in the three months we were on the apnea monitor. Several in the early days and then the second month very few, the third none. If you are worried you can call the NICU or the monitor company. I hope every thing goes well. It was very liberating to finally be cordless. I hope that day come soon for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"