September 2011 Moms

Carseat installation questions...tethers?

H just went and got our convertible carseat professionally installed. The model we have (britax boulevard) has tethers but she didn't install them. H said she specifically said not to until you turn them front facing.

The user guide that came with it says to use them at all times. So who's right?

She also installed the seat using the seatbelt since the LATCH hooks in our car are more than 11 inches apart. It's weird that VW would put latch hooks in too far apart. (especially since it's a pretty small car)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Carseat installation questions...tethers?

• I would probably go off of the car seat installer, I would imagine they might be more up to date with car seat safety standards and models than a widely printed carseat guide?  But then again, I have no idea how much training/how often these installers are quizzed. 
  • Is the car seat in the middle? We have a VW Jetta, and it specifically says in the owner's manual that the LATCH cannot be used if the car seat is in the middle position. the hooks are installed at the proper spacing for the outboard positions, which puts them too far apart of the middle position.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am unsure, as I have a Graco. But with ours the tethers are for FF only, and the only way they would even go to the anchor is if it went over the car seat and that makes no sense what so ever. If you don't trust it is correct, take it somewhere else.  Watch a how to video on britax's website to double check. 

Also, latch can be too far apart? I had no idea.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Britax allows tethering rear facing. Personally, I would tether if the seat allows for it. There are you tube videos that explain rear facing tethering that are useful. I think one of them was made by britax. There are two ways to tether a britax seat, the Australian method and the Swedish method. The Swedish method is more common in the US.
    As far as not using latch, is the car seat in the middle seat? Some cars don't have latch in the center and may not allow you to use the latch anchors from the outboard seats.
    Seatbelt installs are as safe as latch installs. I guess latch was supposed to make it easier to install seats correctly but it seems to just confuse a lot of people.
  • imagememali26:
    Is the car seat in the middle? We have a VW Jetta, and it specifically says in the owner's manual that the LATCH cannot be used if the car seat is in the middle position. the hooks are installed at the proper spacing for the outboard positions, which puts them too far apart of the middle position.

Ah, that explains it. 

Thanks for all the input.

• imagemnewlee:

H just went and got our convertible carseat professionally installed. The model we have (britax boulevard) has tethers but she didn't install them. H said she specifically said not to until you turn them front facing.

The user guide that came with it says to use them at all times. So who's right?

She also installed the seat using the seatbelt since the LATCH hooks in our car are more than 11 inches apart. It's weird that VW would put latch hooks in too far apart. (especially since it's a pretty small car)

VW makes their own carseats and they probably fit the latch system.

I would use the tether.  The fireman that installed ours said to always use the tether.  My car has a latch system but it was installed using the seatbelt.  I was told the seatbelt installation is better than the latch systems.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Britax is one of the only carseat manufacturers that allows for RF tethering.  The guy who installed ours at the firestation didn't tether our Britax either, and I haven't done it myself since there is nothing in my car to tether it to on the floorboard, and I can't figure out how to tether it to the top of the seat.  How do you get the kid in and out of the seat with the tether across the top like that?
  • We have a Britax Marathon and our instructions state that the tether strap is not necessary for RF, but should be used at all times for FF. I don't know if the instructions are different between the various Britax carseats. I'll tell you what though, we aren't using the tether strap and there is no way DS is going anywhere -- the seat is SO secure and we can't move it in any direction!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebets2011:
    Britax is one of the only carseat manufacturers that allows for RF tethering.  The guy who installed ours at the firestation didn't tether our Britax either, and I haven't done it myself since there is nothing in my car to tether it to on the floorboard, and I can't figure out how to tether it to the top of the seat.  How do you get the kid in and out of the seat with the tether across the top like that?

Mine is tethered to the rail for the front passenger seat.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"