LGBT Parenting
Options

Ask Me Anything....

I got caught up at work yesterday and am here all day, folks. :)

Ask Away... :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Ask Me Anything....

• Options
    How long have you been in your current job? Do you ever think about doing something different? What would your dream job be (say, if pay were no object)?
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options

imagethiswillbe:
    How long have you been in your current job? Do you ever think about doing something different? What would your dream job be (say, if pay were no object)?

I have been here 8.5y.

The only reason I have thought about doing something else is the commute (about an hour each way + more to drop off/pick up the kids.) Even with leaving at 4:30, I don't get home with the kids till 6. I wish that I worked closer to home so they didn't have to go to before care/after care for so long (though they love it) and had more time for after school activities, free play, and to make an actual dinner. But I can't find anything that interests me...so here I stay.

Silly as it sounds this might be my dream job...but i would like for it to be part time/closer to home. I really like my co-workers, I am respected and don't have to put up with crazy doctor egos thinking they know more than social work (about social stuff!), each day bring something new and different, I work with crazy smart people, I have great work stories...

I've always wanted to be a Paramedic. I think i would be great at it, but the course (anatomy and physiology killed me in college) and the crazy hours have always deterred me from doing it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is a trip to bring the kids to Disney on the agenda? With your love for it, I'm surprised you havent gone yet! (though i think you mentioned that they've been for a day trip)
  • Options

imagectbride08:
    Is a trip to bring the kids to Disney on the agenda? With your love for it, I'm surprised you havent gone yet! (though i think you mentioned that they've been for a day trip)

It is on my agenda after L finishes the dissertation.Wink I refuse to go in the summer (I hate the heat!) and think that Jan/Feb is the perfect time to go - crowds are low and great weather. I was hoping that L would be finished in time for us to make a jaunt this winter, but it isn't looking like that will be happening.  I have my fingers crossed that we can do it in 2014 though!

• Options

We've got our trip calendared for 2014 as well :)

follow up question: What is your stance on taking kids out of school for family vacations?

• Options
    imagectbride08:
    follow up question: What is your stance on taking kids out of school for family vacations?

We've never really done it (aside from 2 days last fall when I took them to Maine to bury my mother's ashes.) But primarily because we haven't taken vacations aside from that gap week during the summer between camp and school. I think we are both fine with taking them out as long as it is more of an isolated event. I would have rather been able to do the Disney vacation this year since I think that making up school work will just be more difficult as we go up in grades, but I think we can work around it.

When are you thinking in 2014?

• Options

image2brides:
    When are you thinking in 2014?

April - school break time :)

• Options

I might know this but I've forgotten - what brought you to the DC area?

How did you and L meet?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Do you feel as though your family is complete with 2 ? Do you ever wish you had a little girl ? ( i have the opposite and a few of my friends just had boys - I LOVE LOVE My girls but a boy would be nice)

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    imageleapgirl8:

I might know this but I've forgotten - what brought you to the DC area?

How did you and L meet?

I originally came here for undergrad. After I graduated I found a job in Tampa and moved there for 18m. I really missed my friends and this area and found a job/moved back. So aside from my short FL tenure, I have lived here 20 years this month. I can't believe it has been 20y. Wow.

L and I originally met when I was a freshman in college and she was the administrator in charge of freshman housing (hence the age difference.) We knew each other and had mutual friends, but didn't hang out/socialize.

Eight years later, one of our mutual friends ran into L at the mall and invited her to go with us to see Rocky Horror sing-a-long as part of Pride. She came and we all went to dinner and then the 3 of us hung out going to movies, dinner, etc for about 6 weeks before L and I started dating. Smile

• Options
    image2moms2twins:

Do you feel as though your family is complete with 2 ? Do you ever wish you had a little girl ? ( i have the opposite and a few of my friends just had boys - I LOVE LOVE My girls but a boy would be nice)

No, not really. Would I love to dress a little girl in cute smocked dresses and bows in her hair? Yep! But I don't feel like I am missing anything by not having a girl. In fact, we might be thrilled that we don't have to deal with teenage girl drama! Wink

• Options

What are the twins' relationships with each other like?

What is L getting her PhD in? (I'm bringing your family in on both these questions, so if they're too personal, it's okay) 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options
    imagehlke:

What are the twins' relationships with each other like?

What is L getting her PhD in? (I'm bringing your family in on both these questions, so if they're too personal, it's okay) 

they really are good friends and yet I think they strike a great balance between playing together and maintaining their own identity/friends. They are still in the same class because their school is really small and there is only 1 class per grade. This isn't ideal for us, but it is working for now because they have their own friends and their own interests. It is rare that you find them playing together when we pick them up from aftercare. But at the same time, they generally play pretty well together when we are home. Yes, they fight and argue just like any sibling pair, but they also have a great time playing Legos, Wii, reading, building forts, etc together.

L's PhD is going to be in Human Resource Development and Adult Learning. She does a lot with Organizational Development, Performance Management, Instructional Design, etc. The non payroll/benefits side of HR. Her dissertation is on emotional abuse in the workplace.

• Options

What do you think is your strongest asset as a parent? What area do you feel you could improve?

If you had one piece of advice to offer to couple's about how to keep a relationship strong after starting a family what would it be (especially with twins Wink)?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagenevr2amazin:

What do you think is your strongest asset as a parent? What area do you feel you could improve?

If you had one piece of advice to offer to couple's about how to keep a relationship strong after starting a family what would it be (especially with twins Wink)?

Strongest? I think I find fun stuff to do with the kids. I am always on the lookout for things on the weekend that I think they would enjoy. I also think I do a good job of praising them for the things that I see they are doing. Lots of kisses and "I love yous" to go around.

Improving? This is a mile long. :) Biggest one is patience. I don't have much of it (not just with the kids...it is a bad character trait of mine.) Yelling. I have been known to be a yell to get their attention. It works - though I know there are better ways.  Letting them play too much Wii/DS because I get peace.

Oh, I am not the person to get relationship advice from. I guess the one thing would be not to put off your relationship with your spouse because you haven't slept in 1001 nights, or you always have a kid in your bed, or you have 1001 things to do, or because by the time you get the kids to bed, clean up, and get ready for the next day you are exhausted, or paying for a babysitter is so freaking expensive, or you always have someone crying/yelling for you, or the millions of reasons that crop up once you are parents....because you keep putting it off and putting it off and putting it off and pretty soon it is damn hard to get it back because it has been on the back burner for so long.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"