January 2013 Moms

Lactation cookies?

Someone told me about lactation cookies over the weekend.  Have any of you used them?  I've seen several recipes online, but do you have one you swear by?

If you did make them, did you make them before giving birth or afterwards?

Last time, we had to supplement from the get-go and I'm trying to solely BF this time.  I'm willing to try anything and I've heard this works.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Lactation cookies?

• I made them the last time I was pregnant. My supply decreased a lot when I returned to work so I googled the recipe and never looked back! I don't know how much they worked because I also added supplements like fenugreek and ate a lot of oatmeal and drank mother's tea. But, they tasted good and I was desperate so I kept on making them. I have been thinking about making them before giving birth this time so I've got some just in case.

• I ate them last time (not until postpartum).  They didn't work, but you have to take my experience with a huge grain of salt because I was doing everything under the sun and not making any milk so that's a little different than trying to increase supply.  I honestly don't recall the recipe I used, but the main ingredients that are good for breastfeeding mamas are oatmeal, flax, and brewer's yeast, which are good for anyone really.  They taste good.  It's certainly something you can start eating before baby comes if you're worried about supply.  In fact, I'm glad you mentioned it, I'm going to add these to my before baby comes preparing the boobies to make milk plan :)
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • One of the reasons I'm super happy about having another baby is an excuse to eat more of the freaking things. This is my recipe:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1715164

There was a lady that sells them to my lactation group but they were too expensive to keep buying. This cost so much less to make my own. You can freeze them and thaw them out as needed. I plan to make a couple batches at the end to have them ready. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Where can you find brewer's yeast? I am going to make some and freeze them to have on hand when baby is born.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got my brewers yeast from a local health food store. Ill bet you can find it on amazon too. I made them while pg this time because my supply was tanking (it was a lost cause but I wanted to slow the inevitable). I don't know if the cookies themselves helped but oatmeal (which the cookies contain) definitely did for me. 

I didn't need them early in my BFing journey, but def can't hurt and are a yummy snack - and I was always FAMISHED when nursing early on till my milk regulated. No need to eat them till the baby is born but make them now and freeze! 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• imageEAMommy:
    Where can you find brewer's yeast? I am going to make some and freeze them to have on hand when baby is born.

Usually any sort of natural/health food stores carry it, sometimes it's in the bulk section.  I'm pretty sure GNC carries it also.  Worst case you can always order some online!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • A friend made them for me when I had DS and was having problems with my supply.  They didn't work but d*mn they were good.  What was even better was DH wanted nothing to do with them so they were all mine.
  • imageShandaB:
    A friend made them for me when I had DS and was having problems with my supply.  They didn't work but d*mn they were good.  What was even better was DH wanted nothing to do with them so they were all mine.

My DH looooved them. At first when I told him they were lactaction cookies he got this weird look on his face - I had to say "No, they dont have breastmilk IN them" lol!!!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Thanks, yall! I'll definitely start making some closer to time and at least have a few batches made before baby gets here, even if I just freeze them and try them as needed.  (which I hope I won't!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Even if you don't need then for the lactation support, they are really healthy for you. The recipe I gave each cookie is about 80 calories and is packed with tons of nutrients for you. It sure beats the oreos I usually shove in my face while nursing. =)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"