VBAC
Options

Last minute advice?

I'm getting so super nervous! I have my 38w checkup on thurs, with an u/s to estimate size. The dr mentioned scheduling an induction at that time, when being dependent on how big she is and how dilated I am. Any last words of advice/encouragement?

Re: Last minute advice?

• Options

Don't do it. An induction will greatly affect your odds of a VBAC especially this early. Letting your body do it's thing is your best chance of a successful VBAC, at least prior to 41 weeks. 

Inducing for size is a bad idea, and remember ACOG doesn't recommend RCS due to size estimates and size estimates can be 2 lbs off. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree.  Try to get as much time as your provider is willing to give you.  And decline the sizing U/S, if you can.  Induction is not a VBAC death sentence, but things will go much smoother if your body/baby is ready.  Unless you have a medical condition, I would never agree to an induction before my due date.

My best recommendation is stay positive and be committed to the outcome.  I also found that the induction accupuncture really helped me focus on what I was going to need to do during labor.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am surprised your doc wants to do an induction with the VBAC, that seems kind of contradictory with a VBAC since the pitocin can cause really strong, unnatural contractions putting your uterus under more strain...sounds like a road to a RCS instead. I would ignore the baby size and ask more about your pelvis and if it seems adequate to birth ANY baby, people birth big babies all the time, I don't get these doctors! I am sure my doctor will say the same stuff this week to me....ugh
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm not planning on agreeing to an early induction. My plan is to barter with him, I'm willing to be induced when my body's ready. The reason he does inductions is because he is basically the only dr in the area willin to do VBAC. If I labor on my own I run the risk of him not being on call and any covering dr would immediately do an RCS. This makes sense to me and I'm open to it. He has a great track record so a lot of it is faith in him!

But I agree with you, and FTR they were over a pound off with my first so I totally take the sizing test with a grain of salt. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options

As a heads up the on call doc doesn't get a say in you VBACing or not. Once you are in labs they are legally required to "stabilize" you which means the have to treat you until the baby is born and you have the right to refuse a c/s.

They can pressure you, scare you, and make @sses of themselves but they can't automatically RCS you because they don't "do" VBACs. Only you (or next of kin in an emergency where you are unable to consent) can agree to a RCS once you are in labor, so I wouldn't induce on the chance of my primary OB being unavailable when it can affect my VBAC.

• Options
    imagehopecounts:

Don't do it. An induction will greatly affect your odds of a VBAC especially this early. Letting your body do it's thing is your best chance of a successful VBAC, at least prior to 41 weeks. 

Inducing for size is a bad idea, and remember ACOG doesn't recommend RCS due to size estimates and size estimates can be 2 lbs off. 

This.

I was ultimately induced for my VBAC at 41 weeks and it was successful, but I wouldn't have agreed to that prior to 41 weeks.  Don't let them do a growth ultrasound- they are not reliable and just something they do for no real reason except to suggest a RCS.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imagehopecounts:

As a heads up the on call doc doesn't get a say in you VBACing or not. Once you are in labs they are legally required to "stabilize" you which means the have to treat you until the baby is born and you have the right to refuse a c/s.

They can pressure you, scare you, and make @sses of themselves but they can't automatically RCS you because they don't "do" VBACs. Only you (or next of kin in an emergency where you are unable to consent) can agree to a RCS once you are in labor, so I wouldn't induce on the chance of my primary OB being unavailable when it can affect my VBAC.

Hmm. Well maybe it varies by state. But to do a VBAC here the dr has to be there for the whole thing, vs a regular delivery they're basically called in for the actual birth. And most on call drs aren't willing to do it. I've heard that more than once.

If that's the case where you are, how do you refuse a CS if there's no dr on call willing to approve VBAC?
  • Options

That's the good part they don't have a choice they are legally required to provide you care and if that means the on call doc has to be there they are legally required to sit their @ss there until you deliver.

All you have to do is say "I refuse to consent to a c/s at this time" and the on call is legally required to treat you

Most women just aren't informed or willing to do that. Also the on call docs can get nasty when they're put in that position so be prepared for all kinds of crap but it's still better odds than an early induction.

ETA: it's a federal law so it's applicable in any state in the US. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"