August 2011 Moms

I'm so frustrated!

Ugh! It's just been one of those weeks. DS has a diaper rash that I'm pretty sure is yeast and it just won't go away. I'm treating it like yeast and letting him air out a lot, but it doesn't see, to be clearing up yet. ::sigh::

Also, he's teething SO bad and is just now starting to feel better. This has causes him to not want to eat anything except blueberries. That is the only thing I can get him to eat. He hates WCM, so that means I've been nursing him ALL DAY LONG for the last few days. I'm exhausted and so frustrated. Should I be concerned about him not eating? At what point do I call the pedi?

Oh, and on top of that, I'm battling a bladder infection and a cold. I'm on antibiotics for the infection, but they just put me on a different kind and I'm concerned he'll never beat the yeast as long as I'm taking them.

Anyway, I needed to vent, but I'll also take any advice at this point. I wish I had cupcakes to give to everyone who made it to the end of this post.

Oh, and sorry for any errors, I'm not used to posting on my iPad. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm so frustrated!

• Try an athlete's foot cream on his diaper rash.  It could be fungal, and that will help.  We just went through this last week, and it's gone now.  

I wouldn't worry about him not eating...  As long as he's wetting diapers and eating "enough" BM/blueberries.  He might lose weight, but this is a passing thing.  I wouldn't call the pedi.  

We went through HFM disease where his throat was so sore, he went 6 days straight on JUST BM.  It'll be OK.  I hope he feels better soon!!

Did they give you an antibiotic that is considered safe during BF'ing?  Sorry, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, just curious.  If it's safe, it should only minimally pass through your BM if at all.  He should be able to beat his infection with topical cream. 

We just went through a HELL of a month -- roseola, followed by HFM compounded with eczema AND he's getting all 4 molars...  I.TOTALLY.FEEL.'YA!!  Things are on the upswing now, and life's returning to normal.  I hope you guys get there soon!! :)

Take care of yourself and that little sweet boy of yours!! 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yes, I'm already using the AF cream. This is our third day using it and I don't notice a difference. And yes, they are BF safe antibiotics so hopefully it will clear up soon.

Oh yeah, we've got an eczema flare up over here too. We're just continuing to use Cetaphil since his is pretty mild.

These sweet littles we have sure are a lot of work. ;) Thanks for the advice! 

• Loading the player...
  • When DS had yeast, we used Lotrimin's AF cream per the pedi. It looked a lot better after a few days, but took almost a week to go away completely. Good luck with it.
  • imageRoselis:
    When DS had yeast, we used Lotrimin's AF cream per the pedi. It looked a lot better after a few days, but took almost a week to go away completely. Good luck with it.

Yep. That's what we're using too. Thanks! 

• If the Lotrimin is not clearing it, then it's likely not yeast.  Is there any broken skin?  If so, call your pedi for a prescription cream.  We've been going through this since a massive pooping episode last Friday (reaction to peaches) and the only thing that helped was the prescription cream.  There was a marked improvement 24 hours in. 

I realize that the only thing he's willing to eat is blueberries, but they may also be hurting the rash.  They're acidic and can irritate the already sensitive skin when they come out.  Until the rash is gone, it's best to go bland. 

Have you tried feeding him frozen banana slices?  They help with the teething pain and are bland enough (and, actually a bit constipating) that they are fine with the rash.  If you have a mesh feeder, you can also try putting other frozen or partially frozen items in there for him to gnaw on.  Stay away from peaches, pears and anything acidic (tomatoes, yogurt, etc...) until the rash is gone.

For the rash, air time helps a lot, but so do baths with baking soda in them.  I also have been pinning a prefold diaper (i.e. burp cloth) onto him when I don't want him running around fully naked since he loves to pee on the carpet.  We have mostly carpet, so it's hard to avoid putting him on it.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageKaren1998:

If the Lotrimin is not clearing it, then it's likely not yeast.  Is there any broken skin?  If so, call your pedi for a prescription cream.  We've been going through this since a massive pooping episode last Friday (reaction to peaches) and the only thing that helped was the prescription cream.  There was a marked improvement 24 hours in. 

I realize that the only thing he's willing to eat is blueberries, but they may also be hurting the rash.  They're acidic and can irritate the already sensitive skin when they come out.  Until the rash is gone, it's best to go bland. 

Have you tried feeding him frozen banana slices?  They help with the teething pain and are bland enough (and, actually a bit constipating) that they are fine with the rash.  If you have a mesh feeder, you can also try putting other frozen or partially frozen items in there for him to gnaw on.  Stay away from peaches, pears and anything acidic (tomatoes, yogurt, etc...) until the rash is gone.

For the rash, air time helps a lot, but so do baths with baking soda in them.  I also have been pinning a prefold diaper (i.e. burp cloth) onto him when I don't want him running around fully naked since he loves to pee on the carpet.  We have mostly carpet, so it's hard to avoid putting him on it.  

Thanks! Yeah, the nurse told me it would take about 3 days until the rash started to look better. I hate that it's a long weekend because I was planning on calling again if I didn't see improvement by tomorrow. I have some prescription cream from a yeast rash he had on his chest before. It's the same thing they give for bums.

I didn't think about the blueberries making it worse. That's a good point. Even when he is eating normally, he really only eats fruit, yogurt, and cheese. Ugh. I haven't tried a mess feeder yet, but I have tried giving him frozen cubes of squash and frozen peas and he would suck on them until they thawed and then spit them out. He doesn't like bananas unless they are mixed with something else, but he may try them frozen. I think he mainly doesn't like their texture, so frozen may be better.

I've been putting him in PFs and fitteds, but I don't have that many of them as I do pockets and AIOs. I'm actually doing diaper laundry now. I'm also concerned about having to get the yeast (if it is even yeast) out of the diapers after the rash clears up. And will the rash ever clear up if I keep him in cloth? I stripped them the other day and have been putting fleece liners in, but still...so, I've been using sposies all day today.  

• My friend's DS gets diaper rash and/or yeast infections a lot.  Hope your DS's clears up soon!  Hope you feel better.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageKaren1998:

This.  DD had one heck of a diaper rash episode a little while back.  Doc figured it was yeast, gave us a medicated cream.  It would get under control for a couple days, then flare up again.  After awhile, it finally went away.  When it came back with a vengeance a few weeks later, I realized it happened in conjunction with cooking up a new batch of spinach.  As it turns out, she couldn't hang with eating just spinach - I could mix it up with other food and it was fine, but if there was only spinach in the bowl, it caused a nasty rash.

You might try mixing a little whole milk ricotta and dash of cinnamon in with the blueberries.  DD loves it - and it makes a pretty tasty snack for mom, too.  :)

• Aw man. I hope you catch a break soon.

DD1 had crazy diaper rash that would not go away. It finally cleared up when we switch diaper brands. If all else fails, maybe that would be worth a try? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"