April 2012 Moms

20 pounder! DR. seems to think I'm feeding him too often

LO had his 4 month appointment today and weighed in at 20 lb, 11 oz, 27 inches long. No  wonder my back hurts!

When I told the dr he eats when hungry, every 2-3 hours, she kind of side-eyed me and said not to feed him sooner than every 3 hours. How often do you feed your babies?

He too his shots like a champ, though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 20 pounder! DR. seems to think I'm feeding him too often

• What a chubster! He's so cute - I LOVE fat babies!!!

DS eats every 3.5-4 hours. On average, he eats 5.5 oz. Sometimes he'll drink 6, sometimes 5. 

• Say whaaaat? If he goes over 2.5 hours, we would have a screaming session on our hands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We do every 23 hours and my pedi told me to keep that up but I have a very small baby

Pregnancy Ticker
  • N eats every 2-4 hours during the day. At night, he's still nursing 2-3 times.

I side eye your doctor, ha.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I feed him when he is hungry. Some days it is 2 hours and some it is 4. I side eye your doctor.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Your DS is long too, so it isn't like he is short at almost 21 lbs. Ds is breastfed and he eats whenever he wants. Normally 2-3 hrs, but sometimes he wants it sooner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This is almost exactly was DS was! Our doctor said he is doing great! He is in the same general percentiles that he has always been in.. and we feed him the same...
  • imagesoftskate31:

What was his birth weight?

(My DS was 21 pounds at 4m, but he started at 11 - his weight and length are in good proportion) 

You may be overfeeding - he may just be a big boy.

Nursing or FFing? daily total?  Are you and your DH big people?

(My nephew had to be put on restriction at 4m b/c he was way too fat for his length and eating 40+ oz of formula a day. He had reflux and ate for comfort.  They put him on scheduled feeds with paci and other comfort measures in between.  He is now a more averaged sized 18m old with a better weight/height proportion)

I don't know what's right - but childhood obesity is a hot topic and the pedi may be concerned.

I know obesity is a big thing with this office. It was our first time at this one and they had signs all over the place.

His birth weight was 9 lb, 2.5 oz. The thing is, he eats only 4 ounces at a time. Any more than that and he tends to spit it up. He eats both formula and breastmilk and only eats once at night (and he doesn't eat a lot at that feeding).

It's good to know he's not the only one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTrudyCampbell:
    We do every 23 hours and my pedi told me to keep that up but I have a very small baby

Bump mobile is telling us you feed V every twenty three hours. No wonder she is so small! :-) Dumb bump mobile.

OP, if you are feeding him by his cues I'm sure you are likely fine. If I'm not home D goes 3 hours between bottle feedings but if she is with me it is every 2 to 2.5 hours.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagehuahualove:
    Your DS is long too, so it isn't like he is short at almost 21 lbs. Ds is breastfed and he eats whenever he wants. Normally 2-3 hrs, but sometimes he wants it sooner.

Ditto this. She also nurses a few times at night.

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • EV takes 5oz every 2-2.5hours from 8am to 9pm also she BFs from 6:30 to 7:30 am, and at lunch and before bed.  this usually equalls 25 to 30oz formula and several oz of bm.  We get weighed tomorrow but I think that she is around 11 pounds at 4 months.  I would never withhold a bottle from a hungry baby unless it was medically necessary to. 
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker

• DD eats every 3 hours usually but I tend to just feed her then, she doesn't really fuss, and she sleeps for 10 hours a night so I get nervous she's not getting enough if I wait too long. But I would just feed him when he's hungry.
  • We FF, and she eats about every 3 hours unless she's sleeping. If she's hungry sooner, though, we feed her sooner. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • DD eats every 2-3 hours, but she was only 12lbs13oz at her 4 month appt. She is 24" long. 
    A - 4/27/12     D - 7/14/14
  • Ive got a big baby too!  He was 19.2lbs 26in at his 4m checkup.  Doc didn't say anything to me about his weight other than she kinda laughed when she told me he was 96% for weight.  He's eating every 3hrs - sometimes 2.5.  When he's hungrey, there's no quieting him until he eats.  He does sleep about 10-12hrs through the night.  I estimate that he's getting about 30oz per day right now. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageshealy12:
    Ive got a big baby too!  He was 19.2lbs 26in at his 4m checkup.  Doc didn't say anything to me about his weight other than she kinda laughed when she told me he was 96% for weight.  He's eating every 3hrs - sometimes 2.5.  When he's hungrey, there's no quieting him until he eats.  He does sleep about 10-12hrs through the night.  I estimate that he's getting about 30oz per day right now. 

This is kind of DS also--until last week he was sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Now, he wakes up once to nurse, but never gets a lot, since I don't make a whole lot. So his food is all during the day.

I think the dr. also didn't really hear me when I said he eats 4 oz at a time. We've tried giving him more than that, but he spits it up. I also don't want to push it because I'm still hopeful maybe we can do more bfing than pumping, and that won't happen if he expects a ton of milk to come out.

Although DS and I aren't super tall, we do both have taller people in our families. My dad and brother are both over 6 feet.

Honestly, I think the dr. didn't even consider his weight-length proportion and just heard "every 2-3 hours." We pay attention to his cues, but if he's hungry, nothing else will do!

• My DD is eating every 3.5-4 hours during the day and eats between 5 and 6.5 oz.

• imageKatFCo:

imageshealy12:
    Ive got a big baby too!  He was 19.2lbs 26in at his 4m checkup.  Doc didn't say anything to me about his weight other than she kinda laughed when she told me he was 96% for weight.  He's eating every 3hrs - sometimes 2.5.  When he's hungrey, there's no quieting him until he eats.  He does sleep about 10-12hrs through the night.  I estimate that he's getting about 30oz per day right now. 

This is kind of DS also--until last week he was sleeping 10-12 hours a night. Now, he wakes up once to nurse, but never gets a lot, since I don't make a whole lot. So his food is all during the day.

I think the dr. also didn't really hear me when I said he eats 4 oz at a time. We've tried giving him more than that, but he spits it up. I also don't want to push it because I'm still hopeful maybe we can do more bfing than pumping, and that won't happen if he expects a ton of milk to come out.

Although DS and I aren't super tall, we do both have taller people in our families. My dad and brother are both over 6 feet.

Honestly, I think the dr. didn't even consider his weight-length proportion and just heard "every 2-3 hours." We pay attention to his cues, but if he's hungry, nothing else will do!

I would keep doing what you're doing!   You know your baby best.  I know child obesity is a big problem nowadays, but at this age, I think there's no problem with chunky babies!  You have to feed him when he's hungrey, and his length ratio is proportionate! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS was the same length as OP but 14lbs at 4 months.  He is FF and eats 5  7oz bottles each day.  That's about every 3 hours during the day and none over night.
  • L is at 16lbs 6oz and we feed about every 2-3 hours. But it's whenever she's hungry. When she was eating 5oz it was every 2 hours except at night, ~30oz per day. We upped to 6oz and now she's spread the feedings out but still at 30oz per day. 

I agree with the side eye to the doctor.

We FF.  

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • DS is five months and eats every 2.5-3 hours during the day and once over night (from 7 to 7)
  • DDis EBF and eats every two to three hours. I think she gets about three to four ounces each time. guess eight hours at night.
  • hmm mine eats every 3 hours during the day when getting 4-5 oz bottles from hubby. But when I am there it is often sooner than 3 hours. I just feed her, whatever. I don't get the big deal. They are hungry when they are hungry, they aren't going to eat themselves to poor health on milk.

she still wakes twice at night too. I'm sure my pedi will say I should maybe try to stop this "habit" at our 4 mth appointment this week, but I'll just smile and nod and keep feeding her any time she wants to eat.

• imageMusiclover2012:
    DS was the same length as OP but 14lbs at 4 months.  He is FF and eats 5  7oz bottles each day.  That's about every 3 hours during the day and none over night.

DS was 14.5 lbs at 4 months and 27". When he was 20 lbs at 12 months, he was 32". Yes, my 10 lber is skinny. At 2 years, he was 26,8 lbs, 38". DS ate every 2 hours around the clock until 8 months old, he increased to 3 hours around the clock until 14 months. He still eats every 3 hours (snack or meal). I EP'd and he took 4.5 oz bottles the entire time.

DD weighed 11 lbs 14 oz and was 26.25" at 4 months (she was 9 lbs 2 oz, 21" at 37 weeks). She eats every 3-3.5 hours at daycare, every 4 when she nurses. We just increased to 5 oz since she is going through a growth spurt (she's also eating every 2 hours).

Remind the pedi that all babies are different. Our pedi is great, as he says, some need to set the curve. My kids gain weight much slower than average but the grow in length faster than average.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • I've got a chunkster too, around 20 lbs. I feed him anywhere from 2-3.5 hours, sometimes he takes 3 oz, sometimes up to 7! I try to stretch them out so that he isn't snacking. Usually takes 4-6oz. I don't think you can over-feed your baby, wouldn't they spit it up or not take it? Dr. side eye!
  • Uh, mine weighed 20 lbs three weeks ago. Our 4 month appointment is Thursday.

I wonder if I am going to get the crazy eye too.

I feed her when she's hungry--sometimes that's every 3 hours, sometimes more like 3 and a half, sometimes a hour and a half. It really depends. For example, she takes a lot of little drinks when we are outside in the heat. I'm not going to refuse her that, so I don't know what I am supposed to do. What really happens when a baby grows "too fast?" Anything bad, really?

• Seems like we all have big babies. I wonder if it's just an issue with this doctor's office. We had never been before; we just moved to the other side of town, so we transfered from one location to another. There are signs up about preventing childhood obesity and even one in the exam room saying "Never force feed a child." Maybe it's just their "thing."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"