School-Aged Children

School starts and DD is sick again!

Everytime school start DD is sick.  She has only been in school for 2 weeks and she already has a cold and they never go away!  I just don't know what do do with her anymore.  I take her to the Dr and they put her on a antibiotic and it gets better but a week later it is back again!  I can't keep her on an antibiotic constantly.  I just don't know what else to do anymore.  I have been giving her a multi vitamin with extra vitamin C, to see if that would help some but no such luck.  Any Suggestions?? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFetus Ticker
Anniversary

Re: School starts and DD is sick again!

• If it is really bacterial then you need to keep putting her on antibiotics, if it is viral than your doctor should not have allowed antibiotics some do anyway. As for keeping her healthier, make sure she is washing her hands properly at school and as soon as she gets home and have her change her clothes when she gets home. Also try to figure out if she rubs her eyes or nose a lot and try to change that. But have you also considered if it is allergies? Every year at the same time a cold that will not go away sounds like allergies, try something like Zyrtec daily for a few weeks next year try before school starts and it might help a lot.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I also suggest checking to see if it is allergies.

My DS has seasonal allergies, and the fall is really hard for him.  He's congested, snotty, coughing, etc.

When he's actually sick with a viral cold or something worse, the symptoms are similar, but he also has a fever.  If your DD has nasal symptoms but no fever, it might be allergies.

We use claritin to control DS's allergies in spring and fall.  Once he turned 6, he could take adult strength.

I also would be suspect of a doctor who just threw antibiotics at a cold.  Unless the doctor can verify that the child is sick with something bacterial, they shouldn't be prescribing antibiotics, but -- as littlejen said above -- some do anyway. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the others - if it is really a cold antibiotics won't do a thing.  If your daughter doesn't seem to ever get better, then I would think another evaluation would be necessary.  If it is a bacterial infection rather than just a cold, once the course of antibiotics is complete, our pedi has us go in for a re-check to make sure the child is all better. 

Also, this year fall allergies in our area are really bad, so that might be something to look into.

DD has been in school for two weeks and she already has her first cold too.  She had a sore throat for a couple of days before she had any other cold symptoms, so I took her to the pedi to make sure it wasn't strep.  The pedi said that it's like clockwork, two weeks after school starts they start seeing lots of sick kids in the office.  

Good luck, I hope your daughter feels better soon!

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • I agree alot with what has already been posted but just wanted to add that a good book I read was by Dr. Fuhrman entitled Disease proof your child where he discusses how changing diet can be a powerful way to prevent illness.  School has just started here too and I'm bracing myself for the onslaugt of illness.  Hope your child is feeling better!
    DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"