School-Aged Children

Re: (Untitled)

• Some of the things you are listing are developmentally appropriate.  As a teacher and mom to a 1st grader as well (who is VERY bright), she still sometimes mixes up her D and B (very common in kids this age because they look so similar) and she will occasionally read words such as "saw" as "was".  You may want to "test" her.  Give her an easy book that you think she should be able to read (If you haven't heard of BOB books, they are great and I recommend that you check them out.  They work on word families and sight words and I bet this would help out immensely.  You should be able to find them on amazon, other websites, and Costco even carries them.)  Keep track of which words she has difficulties with and if there are any patterns in the words/letters/sounds that she is mixing up/missing.  This could help you to see if there is any sort of pattern to what is giving her problems.

Remember, 1st graders are really just starting to learn to read and it can still be difficult and confusing! I would watch her carefully and encourage her to sound out the words the best she can, helping when needed.   

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"