Delaware Babies
Options

New to the area... need new OBGYN!

Hello Delaware Moms! My DH and I just moved here from Pennsylvania, and I am looking for a new OB/GYN. I am very picky, and want only the BEST care for our first baby. I am 9 weeks now, and have had one ultra sound and appointment with my OB/GYN in PA, but am looking to switch ASAP, as the drive is not going to work for the next nine months. I am looking in the Wilmington area, associated with Christiana Hospital (I've heard that's the best hospital to deliver?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: New to the area... need new OBGYN!

• Options
    I got to All About Women and they are fantastic!
  • Options
    do you see a specific doctor in that practice, or do they rotate? I have heard good things about this place.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejesswinkler:
    do you see a specific doctor in that practice, or do they rotate? I have heard good things about this place.

I've always seen the same person but I've heard they do rotate for ob patients. I've only gone there for my yearly checks. I see Szymanski, but she is a midwife...not sure if you care

• Options
    p.s. stick around. this board is slow sometimes but if more people start coming by it would be nice!
  • Options

Welcome to the area!! I go to Maternity and Gynocology associates. They are located in the building right next to the hospital. I see Dr Brosch... with my first DS I saw all the doctors in the practice, with my 2nd DS I only saw my doctor. I was high risk, with my 2nd, so not sure if that was why.  

Christiana hospital is awesome, I had both my boys there!!

Congrats and welcome again!! Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    thank you so much!! Big Smile
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I go to First State Women's Care and they are great. I see Dr. Ostrum and they do rotate after your first 2 visits. 
  • Options
    Alot of my friends have gone to All About Women and I'm actually transferring there from my current OB/GYN next week.  I've heard both good and bad things about it, but I think that's with anywhere...I'm excited to make the switch!  Hope you find a great doctor!
    Met 6.12.09 Engaged 09.29.10 I Do 10.22.11 
    BFP #1 8.19.12 Ectopic 8.29.13
    BFP #2 1.14.13 DS 10.6.13 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 3e4e397b-bd1a-4854-a3fc-944df770c8e5_zps809b131e.jpg
  • Options

I actually just moved from Pittsburgh to Wilmington and had to switch my Ob/Gyn late in my pregnancy.  My doctor in Pittsburgh recommended All About Women, but I have not been entirely pleased with the way that they handled everything. 

1.) setting up appointments-  I left several messages when I knew I had to move to see about switching to their practice.  I did this at the start of May, when I knew I was moving, and I did not have any of my calls returned.  I think I finally got hold of them at the end of June/early July.   Once I had finally set up my appointment, they cancelled it, and the process of setting up another appointment took, in my opinion, much longer than necessary.  They also informed me that the doctor I was assigned me was not going to see any patients for several weeks.  Since I was already +30 weeks at the time, it seemed like I would never see that physician. Consequently, I've been seeing a different doctor every visit.  

2.) transferring medical records- Their medical records person, Amber or Amanda, was very rude and condescending.  I had followed the procedure that my Pittsburgh doctor's office gave me to transfer my records.   Once I gave my consent to release my records, the rest was out of my control, and I was at the mercy of the company sending out my information.  I got many curt calls from their records person regarding this issue, and I was on the phone with my Pittsburgh office for an entire day as they reassured me that the records were arriving the week my first appointment was scheduled.  My old Ob/Gyn office was kind of enough to pull as much information as possible and faxed it.  Then, they had to fax it 3 different times because she said she never got them.  I asked  Amber/Amanda to call once she received them, but I heard nothing from her when all was said and done. If they do not receive your records, they will not see you.  

3.) Differences between PA and DE-  After I got my records in and saw a nurse and a doctor, I was constantly told different things about requirements for certain tests. Maybe the doctors did not have a chance to read all my records, but I had a laundry lists of tests they said SHOULD have been done and were not completed. I was told by other nurses that each state is different when it comes to certain testing.  At this point, I'm not bothered about having to have blood drawn for more tests, but one of the doctors did make it seem like I was receiving sub-standard care.  

I had a very good relationship with the doctors at my Pittsburgh practice, and they were attached to a women's hospital that is the ranked in the top 5 for gynecological care.   My pregnancy has not been difficult and I felt that they did an excellent job during my pregnancy, especially when they knew I was moving.  I would have much preferred to stay and deliver in Pittsburgh, but that was not possible.  Maybe it's my hormones or the stress from moving, but something about the way this particular doctor looked at my records, talked about my previous care, and then made me feel bad about not getting tests I never knew I needed, added to my overall irritation with All About Women.    

I'm sure that they provide a very satisfying experience to the women who they see pretty early on, but as someone who had to transfer it has been nothing short of a nightmare on top of the move and being very, very pregnant.   

If I had to do it all again I would:

1.) be persistent about setting up your appointment.  First they did not return my phone calls, and I waited patiently.  Then the cancelled my appointment.  Even with so many doctors, they are an incredibly busy office. 

2.) make sure your records are faxed directly to their records person, and submit your request well in advance of your first appointment.  Then you can avoid the multitude of rude phone calls I received from their medical records person. Again, they will not see you without them.

3.) Ask if you have had all the screening and tests done that Delaware requires.  I had no idea that Delaware required certain tests done that Pennsylvania did not.  

I hope this helps you if you choose All About Women them as your new Ob/Gyn.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"