June 2012 Moms

Do you read to your LO at night & if so what do you read?

I think my favorite time me & DS spend together (other than bath time, cause he just looks so darn cute nakey & playing in the water with those big eyes) is when its bed time & I'm rocking him & giving him his bottle & reading him a good book. Right now currently we are reading James & the giant peach (I love the movie & always wanted to read the book) we are on chapter 15 & so far I love the book. I just read him til he either finishes his bottle or falls asleep! I just love the time together, we get to cuddle & its a time I know I can devout 100% my attention to him with no distractions.

Other books I love reading to him are of course dr seuss & a whole mess of books (I'm horribly guilty of his large book collection I love books & when he's older I want him to have a passion for books like I do). I have people tell me "you do know he doesn't understand what your saying or what the book is about right?" like they think its totally pointless in reading to him but I enjoy it & he seems to love it & I know one day if I continue this when he's a toddler he's going to understand & really love it than. I'm sure I'm not the only one who reads to their LO at bedtime..

Re: Do you read to your LO at night & if so what do you read?

• I've actually found that DD enjoys reading a little too much - she wakes right up, so I've started reading to her in the mornings. We're teaching her to be bilingual, so I'm only reading books to her (and speaking to her) in Spanish. We have a really cute Dora the Explorer book, we have Love You Forever and Guess How Much I Love You in Spanish, and then we have a book that she really likes about a pinguin... I think it's all the black and white that makes it interesting for her. =)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • imagecaeraRose:
    I've actually found that DD enjoys reading a little too much - she wakes right up, so I've started reading to her in the mornings. We're teaching her to be bilingual, so I'm only reading books to her (and speaking to her) in Spanish. We have a really cute Dora the Explorer book, we have Love You Forever and Guess How Much I Love You in Spanish, and then we have a book that she really likes about a pinguin... I think it's all the black and white that makes it interesting for her. =)

We are also teaching LO to be bilingual (Portuguese and English). I read to her Goldy Locks, Rapunzel - both in Portuguese, Moo Baa La La La, and Good Night Moon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedaisy080187:

I think my favorite time me & DS spend together (other than bath time, cause he just looks so darn cute nakey & playing in the water with those big eyes) is when its bed time & I'm rocking him & giving him his bottle & reading him a good book. Right now currently we are reading James & the giant peach (I love the movie & always wanted to read the book) we are on chapter 15 & so far I love the book. I just read him til he either finishes his bottle or falls asleep! I just love the time together, we get to cuddle & its a time I know I can devout 100% my attention to him with no distractions.

Other books I love reading to him are of course dr seuss & a whole mess of books (I'm horribly guilty of his large book collection I love books & when he's older I want him to have a passion for books like I do). I have people tell me "you do know he doesn't understand what your saying or what the book is about right?" like they think its totally pointless in reading to him but I enjoy it & he seems to love it & I know one day if I continue this when he's a toddler he's going to understand & really love it than. I'm sure I'm not the only one who reads to their LO at bedtime..

We have read to LO every night before his bottle since he was 6 weeks. he loves the colors in the book! now he smiles every time we turn a page... :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Actually, I was just telling my husband this morning that I've been terrible about forgetting to read to the baby. I've been so focused on my 6 year olds reading that I end up forgetting to read to him  But my favorite thing to read to him is a Jane Eyre board book that I found.  I know it's kind of girly, but Jane Eyre is my favorite book so I got excited when I found it!  We've got hundreds of books because my daughter has always loved reading, so I need to start reading him some of those!  My favorite books to read to my daughter are The Library Mouse and Stellaluna!  
  • Oh and about people thinking it's pointless to read to your child that young...it's totally not.  If you can get them to have a love for books at an early age, teaching them to read is so much easier.  And this is coming from someone with a 1st grader reading at a 4th and 5th grade level (not trying to brag on her, but there's some proof right there that reading to them from the time they are babies is beneficial!).  Not to mention it's a great time to bond :)
  • BRBR member
    We read Goodnight Moon every night before bed.  Just recently she is very interested and looks at the pictures instead of the ceiling fans.  During the day we read a variety of children's books.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Several times a week I sit down and read to DS the same three books- Croc and Bird, I am a Mouse, and Goodnight Moon. He calms down when I read to him and sometimes looks at the pages, sometimes he's more interested in the light fixture. Haha. But I do love reading to him.
  • I'm hoping to raise my DS bilingual too, English and French. I sing songs in both languages and when DH isn't around (he only speaks English) I speak to DS in French. We don't have many French books yet though...need to get on that. 

We read all the time...he has books that we read to him (we love Eric Carle, Robert Munsch, and Sandra Boynton books but he has a ton), but I'll sit him on my lap or lie down next to him and read whatever I happen to be reading to him. Yesterday I read him excerpts of a Michael Ondaatje book that I'm reading and he seemed to enjoy it, and today I read to him from my Baby-Led Weaning book. I'll also him down in my lap and read the paper out loud to him. DH is currently reading him The Hobbit (not so fond of that one!). I love reading so much, and I think if LO grows up in a house filled with books where everybody reads, he'll (hopefully) grow up to love reading and books as well. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I read to him a couple of times a day. He definitely looks at the pictures now!

So jealous of all of you bilingual ladies! How wonderful that you're able to expose them to two languages! That will be so good for them!

• DS#2 gets to read whatever 2 books DS#1 picks out before bedtime. Lately its been a ladybug book and a lift-a-flap little people book. (But it changes every wk or so)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I read my LO Dr. Seuss,Sandra Boynton, Eric Carle, Karen Katz, and misc. others.  He seems to really enjoy Dr. Seuss and Sandra Boynton.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • The first thing I did for LO's nursery was build his library...I love books. We seriously have a good size library...It seems so far that LO totally enjoys books. He loves to look at the pictures and read a long with me (cooing and such). On our bedside we have blueberries for sal, brown bear brown bear, where the wild things are...and read him since he was still in my belly, "I love you forever", good night moon...Hungry caterpillar...basically I have all the classics and more..
  • Your LO will listen to a chapter book?  DS and I read all the time, but I think he likes looking at the pictures the most. (DH reads to DS, too, which just melts my heart!)

DS loved Eric Carle books.  Any book with bright pictures and rhyming words seem to hold his interest as well.  My sister threw me my baby shower and asked all the guests to bring a book for baby.  It was an awesome way to start our library!  (Many of my friends and family wrote messages in the books, so sweet!)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"