March 2013 Moms

Can anyone recommend a great crockpot recipe?

I know there was a post not that long ago that contained lots of crockpot recipes but I can't seem to find it.  I can't stand food and preparing something is the last thing I want to do but I suppose I should make something to feed my DD.  Though I am kind of feeling ill even thinking about it.  Ick!

Re: Can anyone recommend a great crockpot recipe?

• What kind of food are you looking for? Like, if I recommend a meat dish, is that going to make you all kinds of gaggy?

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh it might..lol  but it doesn't matter though.  I will take a look at any and all recipes.

• Loading the player...
  • This isn't so much of a recipe as a "dump this crap in get yummy stuff out" but, how about pulled pork? It's easy, and it can literally cook all.day.long. and depending on the size of the roast you get, will last foreeeever. You can have it in sandwiches, use it on pizza, in tacos, etc.

Get a pork butt (or pork shoulder, they're the same cut) roast, probably boneless so you don't have to dig the bone out, toss it in your crock pot (fat side up) and spice it up. I put a healthy dose (probably about a tablespoon each) of powdered garlic, paprika, dry mustard and onion powder on it. Then a big sprinkle of salt, pepper, dried red pepper flakes, and a dash of cayenne.

Then, pour in about 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and let that thing cook on low.

I usually let it go all night and part of the day, then I drain most of the fatty juice out (leave a little bit in for yumminess), take 2 forks and shred it all up, add 1/4 cup of brown sugar and a sprinkling of all the spices I added before cooking, as well as a dash more of vinegar.

After that, add your favorite bbq sauce for sandwiches or leave it naked. It's really versatile, and like I said, it lasts foreeeever.

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • allrecipes.com has a lot of crockpot recipes. Try the top rated recipes.

https://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyday-cooking/sensational-slow-cooking/main.aspx?prop24=PN_2.4.8_SN.Slow-Cooker 

Also, you can chop and freeze things for the grill, like Kebabs in a marinade with bell peppers and onions. Just defrost in the morning and throw in a grill basket and serve with rice. My H grills so I barely have to do anything. 

• Tomatillo Chicken Enchiladas that I found on here were REALLY good.  I used shredded chicken from a can as the chicken so I didn't have to prep it at all which I liked.  It was also fairly easy, and cooked in about 2 hours in my crockpot.

Tomatillo Cream Cheese Enchiladas
    2 1/2 cups shredded chicken

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    8 flour tortillas (I used 9)
    16 oz. jar tomatillo salsa verde
    1 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used cheddar)

Directions:
    In a bowl, combine the chicken, beans, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, garlic powder, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir until well incorporated.
    Use about 1/3 cup of filling and spoon down the middle of each tortilla. Roll up and place in the bottom of a large crockpot that has been sprayed heavily with non-stick cooking spray. You?ll have to place some on top of others to make it all fit.
    Pour jar of salsa on top of the enchiladas. Cook on high for about 2 hours. When there is about 15 minutes left, sprinkle the cheese over the top and let melt. Serve with sour cream and garnish with lime and cilantro.
    Note: The back side of your crockpot (side opposite of the controls) typically cooks much hotter. Use a foil collar to make sure the enchiladas on that side don?t get burned

(I didn't have to use tinfoil on the back side of my crockpot, they didn't burn.  I would recommend putting half the cheese on the first layer of enchiladas and the rest of the cheese on the top layer - if you have to use two layers, as I did because I have a medium sized crock pot and fit 4 on each layer).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pinterest has a TON!

• cut up one small onion, a pound of bonless pork chops, and a big can of cream of mushroom (or two small cans) cook on low for 8 hours. serve over rice. best food ever
    a href="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Parenting Advice" img src="http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1343c8.aspx" alt=" IAmPregnant Ticker" border="0" / a
  • I have a whole board on my pinterest page dedicated to crockpot cooking if you want to check it out. I loooove my crockpot and use it at least once a week.

I have also written up and reviewed a bunch of crockpot recipes on a website I contribute to (and make absolutely no profit from mentioning it by the way :))

https://mamasaywhat.com/category/real-home/real-meals/

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Hubby makes chicken salad in the crockpot, and it's AMAZING:

Put a bed of finely chopped onions, carrots, and celery (add shallots for extra yum) on the bottom of the crockpot. Lay a couple of pounds of boneless/skinless chicken breasts on that bed. Pour a half-cup of dry white wine over the chicken, and sprinkle some fresh parsley, salt, and pepper in there (+ tarragon if you like it, though it'll REALLY change the flavor, so go easy). Let it cook for a day (6-8hrs). When it's finished, in a separate bowl, shred the chicken and mix it with finely-chopped uncooked celery (as much as you like). Add and mix real mayonnaise with it one large dollop at a time until you get the level of moisture you prefer. I also like to add chopped almonds.

Endless variations, but the point is that it's easy! Yay! 

"Can I call your baby 'Ze Munchkin,' or 'ZM' for short?" - my best friend
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"