Breastfeeding

(Untitled)

BFP#1 12/11/09, Natural M/C @ 15w1d 2/24/10 BFP#2 06/14/10 EDD 02/23/11 Daniel Victor arrived on his EDD 2/23/11!! BFP#3 11/9/11 EDD 7/21/12 Megz

Re: (Untitled)

• imagekalette:
    imagesingingirl96:

to add to the first response -

insurance only pays for your pump if you can prove medical necessity, such as a health condition that would prevent your baby from feeding from the breast such as a cleft lip, cleft palate, heart condition...etc..  Or if the baby was in the NICU for an extended amount of time.  Otherwise, it is looked at as a convenience and they won't cover it.

Even since the new health care law? I read somewhere about insurance companies having to cover pumps and LC appointments starting August 1st. I have BCBS and they paid for my pump (Medela PISA) no questions asked. I bought it from the hospital, but my LO was perfectly capable of nursing..  and this was back in March.

It depends on the policy you have.  I have BCBS and was told they only pay for it if it was "medically necessary."  Even with the new health care laws a lot of the policies are grandfathered which means pumps won't be covered until the policy renews.  Mine renews in January so I will see then if my pump will be covered.

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • imagekalette:
    imagesingingirl96:

to add to the first response -

insurance only pays for your pump if you can prove medical necessity, such as a health condition that would prevent your baby from feeding from the breast such as a cleft lip, cleft palate, heart condition...etc..  Or if the baby was in the NICU for an extended amount of time.  Otherwise, it is looked at as a convenience and they won't cover it.

Even since the new health care law? I read somewhere about insurance companies having to cover pumps and LC appointments starting August 1st. I have BCBS and they paid for my pump (Medela PISA) no questions asked. I bought it from the hospital, but my LO was perfectly capable of nursing..  and this was back in March.

It also depends on when your insurance starts. Most are January and the law won't go in affect for them until the yearly renewal.

I don't see the big deal with used pumps. I plan on offering mine to my sister or donating it, but letting them know to buy new flanges, valves etc. but those are pretty cheap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"