1st Trimester

Taco Bell Nacho Cheese Pasteurized?

Does anyone know if the nacho cheese at Taco Bell is pasteurized? I'm craving their nachos but my OB said to be careful about nacho cheese because so much of it is unpasteurized. Thanks!

Elisabeth Lee "Ella"
Born April 14, 2013

Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right, 
Just like it's meant to be
All wrapped up in my arms so tight
Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right
Life's a long and winding ride
Better have the right one by your side
And happiness don't drag its feet
Time moves faster than you think

Re: Taco Bell Nacho Cheese Pasteurized?

• At Taco Bell it would definitely be. It's probably only partial cheese lol. But for shelf life alone a big chain wouldn't risk trying to find a rare unpasturized cheese.
  • I tried looking through their ingredients list and with the different cheeses that are listed as ingredients in their "nacho cheese", some specifically say that they contain pasteurized milk and others don't. That's what has me questioning.

Elisabeth Lee "Ella"
    Born April 14, 2013

Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right, 
    Just like it's meant to be
    All wrapped up in my arms so tight
    Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right
    Life's a long and winding ride
    Better have the right one by your side
    And happiness don't drag its feet
    Time moves faster than you think
  • Loading the player...
  • I think a more appropriate question would be, "is Taco Bell nacho cheese really cheese?".
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If it were a small authentic restaurant I might worry but the huge bulk orders for big chains would probably use pasteurized milk. Where I am from it's nearly impossible to find unpaseturized milk. I work in food service and they will choose a longer shelf life, and since it's an american company  the liability aspect would sway them if that didn't. I'd be more worried about other stomach issues Wink
  • imageChocodoxies:
    I think a more appropriate question would be, "is Taco Bell nacho cheese really cheese?".

Yes 

• I was told by many people that all cheeses in USA are pasteurized. Unpasteurized cheeses are very expensive to import so you usually know when you're eating them.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • I'm of the mindset that if you want some Taco Bell, have some Taco Bell.  My OB told me to avoid soft cheeses but specifically Brie.  I doubt she meant nacho cheese. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHesterlicious:
    At Taco Bell itwould definitely be. It's probably only partial cheese lol. But for shelf life alone a big chain wouldn't risk trying to find a rare unpasturized cheese.

This!!!!!!  

• imageSammieLou88:
    Does anyone know if the nacho cheese at Taco Bell is pasteurized? I'm craving their nachos but my OB said to be careful about nacho cheese because so much of it is unpasteurized. Thanks!

Is that stuff even cheese?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Most cheese you buy in stores is pasteurized. Taco Bell cheese probably isn't even cheese. Unless you go out of your way to go to a specialty store, you're unlikely to come across unpasteurized cheese.
  • imageBliss+Berry:

imageChocodoxies:
    I think a more appropriate question would be, "is Taco Bell nacho cheese really cheese?".

This.  OP, when you doctor referred to Nacho cheese, he was most likely talking about authentic Mexican cheese (queso blanco), which might be unpasteurized if it is imported. 

Even at most "authentic" places they use block cheese that's melted down and it's definitely pasteurized. I worked at a Mexican restaurant and when a pregnant woman asked if it was pasteurized the manager showed me the package. Most places are probably too cheap to import it. Ours came from Cisco.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Lol, there is no way anything that costs less than a buck at a fast food place is made of unpasturized cheese.

Go for it!
    Lucky Mom to 5 girls: 09/97, 06/99, 10/02, 11/04, 04/08 & Peanut #6 due in April! Pregnancy Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If it's in the US unless otherwise stated on packaging or on the menu, then it's pasteurized. I consumed huge quantities of brie during my pregnancy with DD without a worry. As PP said, the only unpasteurized cheese you'll find will be in a specialty store or expensive restaurant and you'll know it.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I am always so confused when I hear people say that almost ALL cheese in the US is pasteurized.  When I go to whole foods, like 50% of the cheese in the cheese counter is made from raw milk.  Heck, even basic parmigiano reggiano is made of raw milk.  I said to my doctor, I can't NOT eat my good Italian cheese, and he said he just couldn't say it was okay to eat raw milk cheese during pregnancy.  I have read that the risk for listeria is not present in hard cheeses made with raw milk because they are aged for so long.  But I am not a cheese expert so I have just been avoiding it.  Maybe I am just confused but I see these kinds of cheeses all the time.  And yes, they are like $20 a pound but that doesn't deter me when I really want some yummy cheese (and when I am not pregnant).  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageNandaB:

imagedoremi29:
    I'm of the mindset that if you want some Taco Bell, have some Taco Bell.  My OB told me to avoid soft cheeses but specifically Brie.  I doubt she meant nacho cheese. 

I don't mean this as an insult to you at all - but if my OB said this to me I would feel like she was insulting my intelligence. Soft cheese is FINE. absolutely SAFE, as long as it is made from pasteurized milk. which, as many other posters have pointed out, almost ALL cheese in the U.S. is. even "Mexican"cheese. because it is being sold in the U.S. and we have rules about this kind of stuff.

All your OB needed to tell you was to make sure it was pasteurized, by reading the label. Unless he/she thought you were to stupid to read or understand that.

Lol- I should've specified- we were speaking specifically about non-pasteurized.  She was far from insulting my intellegence.  This is my 2nd pregnancy and she's never said anything to me that has thrown up a red flag in my mind about her ability/knowledge as an OB.  Our main conversation was revolving around moderation......because I told her I really wanted to have a hot dog Smile

To OP- you inspired me......I had TB nachos and cheese today and they were deeeeelicious.  My only regret is not getting 2 orders!

• I knew a guy sho worked as a micobiologist for the health department. All he said was I do not eat at taco bell. OK I won't either! lol
  • imageChocodoxies:
    This!
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejamiedsgirl:
    I am always so confused when I hear people say that almost ALL cheese in the US is pasteurized.  When I go to whole foods, like 50% of the cheese in the cheese counter is made from raw milk.  Heck, even basic parmigiano reggiano is made of raw milk.  I said to my doctor, I can't NOT eat my good Italian cheese, and he said he just couldn't say it was okay to eat raw milk cheese during pregnancy.  I have read that the risk for listeria is not present in hard cheeses made with raw milk because they are aged for so long.  But I am not a cheese expert so I have just been avoiding it.  Maybe I am just confused but I see these kinds of cheeses all the time.  And yes, they are like $20 a pound but that doesn't deter me when I really want some yummy cheese (and when I am not pregnant).  

Well, you were at Whole Foods, so they were specialty cheeses. If you went to a regular grocery store I'm sure they would have a few unpasteurized types but they would mostly be pasteurized.  

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imageMelissaRae1525:

imagejamiedsgirl:
    I am always so confused when I hear people say that almost ALL cheese in the US is pasteurized.  When I go to whole foods, like 50% of the cheese in the cheese counter is made from raw milk.  Heck, even basic parmigiano reggiano is made of raw milk.  I said to my doctor, I can't NOT eat my good Italian cheese, and he said he just couldn't say it was okay to eat raw milk cheese during pregnancy.  I have read that the risk for listeria is not present in hard cheeses made with raw milk because they are aged for so long.  But I am not a cheese expert so I have just been avoiding it.  Maybe I am just confused but I see these kinds of cheeses all the time.  And yes, they are like $20 a pound but that doesn't deter me when I really want some yummy cheese (and when I am not pregnant).  

Well, you were at Whole Foods, so they were specialty cheeses. If you went to a regular grocery store I'm sure they would have a few unpasteurized types but they would mostly be pasteurized.  

Whole foods is a specialty store. They sell all kinds of products you wouldn't normally get in a regular grocery store. 

• Mmmm, now I want nachos......
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie Third Birthday tickers "You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the one person you can't live without."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"