August 2012 Moms

peanut shell carrier?

I have a peanut shell carrier (which is similar to a ring sling) and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong when I go to use it. I put my little dude in it and when I look at him he looks scrunched and very uncomfortable. Is there some kind of trick that I'm missing or is he supposed to be all scrunched up?

Re: peanut shell carrier?

• I have one too and tried to use it the other day with no luck :( she seemed too enclosed in the fabric and I couldn't see her face. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am an avid babywearer and an advocate for babywearing safety, so let me see if I can offer anything helpful. Do you have the pouch or the ring sling? Based on which one you have, I suggest going to You Tube and looking for videos. If it is a pouch, the first thing you have to do is make sure it is the right size for you. I am not very familiar with this brand, but I have some doubts about their products since even on the Peanutshell website, both of the pouch shots on the frontpage show blatantly unsafe babywearing--yikes.

Here are two videos to get you started:
    Ring Sling: https://youtu.be/BaHnoyUfvbY
    Pouch: https://youtu.be/RNVzS-rZrtY

As for baby being squished--this could be ok or not. It depends on what you mean by squished. Here are the general safety requirements of babywearing.
    -Baby's head must be high enough for you to kiss
    -Baby's chin should never touch her chest (at least two fingers must fit between chin and chest)
    -Baby's face must be visible to the wearer at all times
    -Baby's knees must be higher than baby's bum (this can look like a seated position with baby's legs out or a squat like a frog with baby's legs in)

If you are new to babywearing, I would avoid using the cradle position with your carrier and focus on a tummy-to-tummy upright carry. New babywearers often have a tough time avoiding chin-to-chest in any position, but the cradle carry makes it really, really hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"