LGBT Parenting
Options

Lesbian pregnancy book???

You girls recommend one every once in a while that I thought I wrote down but didn't. There are a couple, but there is one everyone on here seems to suggest is better. I have friends who are having a pre-baby shower (don't ask), so I thought I'd give them the book. 

Re: Lesbian pregnancy book???

• Options

I think it's in the FAQ at the top of the board, but the two are:

The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians by Pepper

and

The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Brill

I'd say if you're going to buy one, Brill is probably better as she is a midwife and therefore has more authority than Pepper (who is just a lesbian writer who had a baby, as far as I can tell).  That said, I didn't really like Brill -- I thought she was often alarmist and sometimes totally off the wall.  Either one will be fine.

ETA: Do you know if your friends already have one or both of these books?  I bought and read both books months before we even had our first midwife consult, so if your friends are getting ready to start the process, they may already have them.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No clue. Good call. I will give them a gift certificate to a bookstore and if they already have the books, they can buy a novel or something!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageball.and.chain:

I think it's in the FAQ at the top of the board, but the two are:

The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians by Pepper

and

The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Brill

I'd say if you're going to buy one, Brill is probably better as she is a midwife and therefore has more authority than Pepper (who is just a lesbian writer who had a baby, as far as I can tell).  That said, I didn't really like Brill -- I thought she was often alarmist and sometimes totally off the wall.  Either one will be fine.

ETA: Do you know if your friends already have one or both of these books?  I bought and read both books months before we even had our first midwife consult, so if your friends are getting ready to start the process, they may already have them.

That was my impression as well.

If they plan to inseminate (as opposed to adopting), I think that Taking Charge of Your Fertility is the gold standard.  It's not written by/for lesbians specifically, but in terms of learning critical information about reproduction, it's the best.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options

Not a pregnancy book (well, kinda) but I found the memoir "She Looks Just Like You" powerful, as the non-bio parent.  Not necessarily suggesting you give it as a gift, but you might mention it to your friends, in case they haven't heard it.

Another gift suggestion would be a baby records book that includes pages for both moms.  They have specialized ones online, or I just bought ours at Hallmark because it came with an extra mom page and the dad page could easily be removed. Those were hard to find and would save them stress later on!!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"