April 2012 Moms
Options

GTKY Fave documentaries

DH and I were just talking about it being time to watch a punkrockumentary called Another State Of Mind. We watch it a few times a year. I love it. We also like King of Kong.
For non pop culture stuff I will watch any crunchy birth movie I can get my hands on. I won't watch any of the ones about food sorry McDonalds chicken nuggets are a guilty pleasure. Don't judge me!. Who Killed The Electric Car? was also good.
Tell me about your faves. I want to watch something new this weekend.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: GTKY Fave documentaries

• Options

I have an addiction to HBO documentaries.

One of my faves is called " Paperclips" . It is concerning the Holocaust.

I really get fascinated by the " Gang Wars" documentaries they have done, too. I used to do volunteer work with human trafficking victims and every time I would watch this one documentary series about prostitutes in NYC , I would want to go try and save the girls. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will have to look up "Gang Wars". Another favorite series is the ESPN 30 for 30. "The two Escobars" was perfect for the sports fan in DH and the social scientist in me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    One that I can think of off of the top of my headthat I liked a lot is How the Universe Works. It was a documentary miniseries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's a tie between King of Kong and The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia.
    Back when I was single and broke and Netflix didn't suck, I'd watch documentary marathons. I love them.

Oh another good one is called Monster Camp. It's all about LARP'ing live action role playing for all you uncool people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKFCupcake:
    It's a tie between King of Kong and The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Back when I was single and broke and Netflix didn't suck, I'd watch documentary marathons. I love them. Oh another good one is called Monster Camp. It's all about LARP'ing live action role playing for all you uncool people.

I will have to ask DH if he has heard of Monster Camp. He's a gamer but not a Larp. 

• Options

I liked The Cove (about dolphin hunting in Japan)

Mine (about pets after Hurricane Katrina)

Gasland (about fracking) 

Restrepo (war in Afghanistan) 

And it's not award winning but have you seen Catfish!? Every internet poster should watch it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll have to watch King of Kong!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Born into Brothels

Mad Hot Ballroom

Religulous

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head...but I love documentaries, so I may come back and add some to my list when I remember them :) 

• Options

Food Inc. changed the way we eat.  But if you have a penchant for nuggets, I'd avoid that one ;)

I like all the ones in the America: The Story of Us series.  I will also watch The History Channel's The History of Christmas DVD any day of the year. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Mad Hot Ballroom

Pretty much anything by Michael Moore - specifically Roger & Me and Sicko

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageTrudyCampbell:

I liked The Cove (about dolphin hunting in Japan)

Mine (about pets after Hurricane Katrina)

Gasland (about fracking) 

Restrepo (war in Afghanistan) 

And it's not award winning but have you seen Catfish!? Every internet poster should watch it! 

I just checked out Gasland's website because I had never heard the term fracking . It looks interesting.

I can't bring myself to watch The Cove :-(

• Options

Mad Hot Ballroom looks great too.

Thanks for all the recs! 

• Options

I have a serious passion for documentaries, so I have a few favorites in mind...I'm sure it will be obvious that I'm partial to the social issue/ human rights genre. 

Into the Abyss- Wener Herzog interviews two inmates about the triple homicide that landed one of them on death row. He also interviews the family and friends of the victim while subtly relaying his opinion on the death penalty in the US. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1972663/

Into the Fire- Shot mostly by amateurs, this documentary reveals the true scale of the shocking incidents of police brutality and human rights violations that occurred at the 2010 G20 protests in Toronto. The film features some crazy, crazy stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935826/

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father:  A heartbreaking documentary shot from behind the lens of a dear friend of a man named Andrew Bagby who was allegedly murdered by his wife...merely days after their child was conceived. . The purpose of the film was to paint beautiful memories from the words of Andrew's loved ones and friends so that his son, Zachary, would get the chance to "know" his father in the only way that he possibly could...through word of mouth.....but somewhere in the final stages of the documentary, the film changes into something unspeakably horrific.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

Children Underground: This film follows the lives of a rather large group of children who have either run away or were abandoned by their families and now live in the Bukharest underground, sleeping in subways, abandoned buildings, and playgrounds. Its shocking, yet touching at times. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264476/

Winter Soldier: Follows a group of Vietnam Veterans who decided to speak out about the war crimes committed by their platoons (and by themselves) in hopes of shocking the United States Government and its citizens to speak out and bring the war to a halt. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0204058/

These sites have a few thousand streaming (no download-just embedded) documentaries, with genres spanning from the Arts to Military & War, Biographies, ect.

https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/watch-online/

https://documentaryheaven.com/ 

• Options
    Sundance channel did a documentary on the 50 best documentaries. This one was my favorite....it showed some brilliant ones that DH and I have since watched.  I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    History Channel has some great ones. I like their "American Eats" series. Just about anything they do, though, is pretty good.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"