Military Families

Re: (Untitled)

• Depends on rank, what you want to spend and what your guy may like. My DH hates getting "stuff", as he puts it we are going to have to move that. I try to go practical. Because we have access to the regimental gift shop at the moment, I got him a tie pin with his regimental crest on it. He will use it when in blues and he wanted one Its special that we can get it where we are currently stationed because its a small regiment, and small when it comes time to move.
    Its a small thing, but it fit for him and what he likes/wants.
    If you are looking for smaller items, engravable flasks, mugs, glasses, watches, etc.
    I know others have gotten grills, coin racks, or whatever their spouse has been wanting to get for a while like a new TV. So many different options. Good luck.

• Does he like to run?  Most military guys do...I got my DH a GPS watch one Christmas and he loves it.  They are pricey, but they do all sorts of stuff.  May not be the best promotion gift, but just an idea. 

Most guys seem to really like "gadgets" if you are still looking.  Congrats!  Hope you had a great tour in Rota.

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Even though promotions are a big deal, I'd never feel like I needed to get my husband a gift for them. I also don't think his rank as anything to do with what you want to get him. A promotion is a promotion. Seems like you have a lot going on, so I'd get him something small. Something he likes. My husband is not a gift type. He doesn't like me buying him things... But when he needs a new army gadget he's all game. Find out if he needs something, otherwise don't stress. It might not even be that big of a deal to him. 
    "It's exhausting being fabulous." Victoria Beckham
  • imagex posh:
    Even though promotions are a big deal, I'd never feel like I needed to get my husband a gift for them. I also don't think his rank as anything to do with what you want to get him. A promotion is a promotion. Seems like you have a lot going on, so I'd get him something small. Something he likes. My husband is not a gift type. He doesn't like me buying him things... But when he needs a new army gadget he's all game. Find out if he needs something, otherwise don't stress. It might not even be that big of a deal to him. 

I disagree.

Some promotions are a total gimme while others are a "big deal".  For example, I know that E-7 is pretty big deal.  On the officer side, O-6 is a big deal while O-1 to O-3 are a time-in-service essentially unless-you-don't-have-a-pulse promotions.   

My husband will promote to O-4 later this fall and I don't plan on doing anything but a nice lunch after the ceremony.  But if he were enlisted and putting on Chief, or if he was selected for command, I can understand wanting to celebrate and getting him something special.

OP, unless there is a traditional gift, I would just think about something you know he would love and go for it.  One thing I did for my DH was I had my children's fingerprints made into charms to put on his dog tags.  He wears them when he flies and it is a sentimental reminder of our kids when he is away.  Something like this: https://www.tearcatcher.com/thumbies.html

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagex posh:
    Even though promotions are a big deal, I'd never feel like I needed to get my husband a gift for them. I also don't think his rank as anything to do with what you want to get him. A promotion is a promotion. Seems like you have a lot going on, so I'd get him something small. Something he likes. My husband is not a gift type. He doesn't like me buying him things... But when he needs a new army gadget he's all game. Find out if he needs something, otherwise don't stress. It might not even be that big of a deal to him.nbsp;

Rank definitely matters. There are traditions related to different ranks. Also, I agree with other posters that some ranks are a bit more momentous than others.
  • Maybe I'm a sucky AF wife, but I put together his promotion party, handled all of the food, had a cake made, etc.  It honestly never occurred to me that I should get him a gift as well.  Oops.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesweetpea2003:

imagex posh:
    Even though promotions are a big deal, I'd never feel like I needed to get my husband a gift for them. I also don't think his rank as anything to do with what you want to get him. A promotion is a promotion. Seems like you have a lot going on, so I'd get him something small. Something he likes. My husband is not a gift type. He doesn't like me buying him things... But when he needs a new army gadget he's all game. Find out if he needs something, otherwise don't stress. It might not even be that big of a deal to him. 

I disagree.

Some promotions are a total gimme while others are a "big deal".  For example, I know that E-7 is pretty big deal.  On the officer side, O-6 is a big deal while O-1 to O-3 are a time-in-service essentially unless-you-don't-have-a-pulse promotions.   

My husband will promote to O-4 later this fall and I don't plan on doing anything but a nice lunch after the ceremony.  But if he were enlisted and putting on Chief, or if he was selected for command, I can understand wanting to celebrate and getting him something special.

OP, unless there is a traditional gift, I would just think about something you know he would love and go for it.  One thing I did for my DH was I had my children's fingerprints made into charms to put on his dog tags.  He wears them when he flies and it is a sentimental reminder of our kids when he is away.  Something like this: https://www.tearcatcher.com/thumbies.html

First, I am so late responding to this (we are FINALLY in our new home Stateside) but thank you to all the posters here I got some great ideas from you! This may never get read but thanks!

This one about 'thumbies' I LOVE. I may not use it now but after DD is born and do both together. DS has a good chance of deploying this tour so these would be great to send him with. 

P.S. DS put on 04. More of a I'm proud of him kind of thing ... Busted his butt this last duty station and always got the EP / #1 LT ... Not 06 yet but he's on his way ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"