April 2012 Moms

Tell me about Maine! (Devonpow and whoever else)

We usually take a summer vacation to Nantucket but I'm thinking about Bar Harbor, Maine for next summer. 

Anyone been? It seems really pet friendly which is one of the reasons we love Nantucket.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Tell me about Maine! (Devonpow and whoever else)

• I really liked Bar Harbor. If I'm remembering correctly, there is an improv show that we loved there. We really liked walking around downtown. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Maine!

Never been to Bar Harbor. So pretty unhelpful, but I generally love the state :)

We spent a week in Friendship when I was younger and had a blast, I don't think you can really go wrong on the coast.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We are here in Maine right now! We have been here for the past week (I am avoiding packing to go home as we speak). We like to stay mid coast - Camden/Rockport area. We rented an awesome lake house this trip on a smaller lake here - Lake Alford - and it has been fabulous. Canoeing and kayaking everyday hanging on the dock, great little towns to visit, can take the boat to Islesboro, etc for a visit, , Camden State Park...Bar Harbor is an OK town - not too exciting IMO, but obviously Acadia Nat'l Park is STUNNING. We were there on Wednesday and I do wish we could have stayed longer. Especially if you want to do a lot of hiking...there just isn't enough time to do it all. So if you want to do all the outdoors/hiking thing do Acadia, if you want more hanging on a lake/beach/little towns I would go mid coast.

I am also a big fan of Kennebunkport, but mainly to eat st the White Barn Inn. AMAZING.
  • DH is from southern Maine and I lived there with him for 3 months while we were dating.  I've never been to Bar Harbor, but southern Maine is beautiful.  Consider looking into Ogunquit and York Beach.
  • imageDevonPow:
    We are here in Maine right now! We have been here for the past week (I am avoiding packing to go home as we speak). We like to stay mid coast - Camden/Rockport area. We rented an awesome lake house this trip on a smaller lake here - Lake Alford - and it has been fabulous. Canoeing and kayaking everyday hanging on the dock, great little towns to visit, can take the boat to Islesboro, etc for a visit, , Camden State Park...Bar Harbor is an OK town - not too exciting IMO, but obviously Acadia Nat'l Park is STUNNING. We were there on Wednesday and I do wish we could have stayed longer. Especially if you want to do a lot of hiking...there just isn't enough time to do it all. So if you want to do all the outdoors/hiking thing do Acadia, if you want more hanging on a lake/beach/little towns I would go mid coast.

I am also a big fan of Kennebunkport, but mainly to eat st the White Barn Inn. AMAZING.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out mid coast. I was mainly looking at Bar Harbor because I know nothing about Maine and I have heard of Bar Harbor :).  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bar Harbour is stunning. There's not a whole lot going on there other than its general gorgeousness though. I agree with PP Ogunquit is amazing and so is Kennybunkport. They are also both much more accesible coming from NY Bar Harbour is a trek and a half and I've done the MV/Nantucket ferries since I was a kid, which may not bother you as much as it would me.
  • We go to southern Maine all the time. We mostly go to Wells, Ogunquit or Kennebunk but they are so close you can travel between the towns. We also really like Portland. It has some fun restaurants and the Sea Dog brewery.

Dhs parents own a beach house right on the coast in Wells and it is really a great place to spend some time.

Let me know if you want some hotel recs.
  • I live in Maine, in the beginning of the MidCoast region (Brunswick/Bath), I agree with hanging around the Camden area. You got the mountains and the coast.  You can take a day trip over to Bar Harbor and on your way home swing by Boothbay Harbor, a small but beautiful fishing tourist town :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers PicMonkeyCollage
  • Ogunquit is really nice, we occasionally drive up there to go to the beach. It's only a little further than the closest ocean beach and worth the extra drive. Though we go only for the beach, I don't know much about the surrounding area.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I am from RI. Newport is really beautiful too. What about a little road trip up the New England Coast? You can start out in RI and end up in Maine. It only takes about 8 hours if you drove right through (not that you'd want to drive straight) One of my favorite vacations was on the coast of Maine as a teenager. We rented a cabin on the beach, it was gorge.
  • We went to Bar Harbor/Acadia for our honeymoon!  I loved it and would love to go back.  Bar Harbor's kind of a touristy town, but Acadia is so gorgeous.  We stayed in a little cabin in a nearby town.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so glad I posted about this! The Camden area seems to be a great compromise. Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagekissyfitt:
    DH is from southern Maine and I lived there with him for 3 months while we were dating.  I've never been to Bar Harbor, but southern Maine is beautiful.  Consider looking into Ogunquit and York Beach.

I love Ogunquit beach! I've been to Bar Harbor a few times and it is a really beautiful area. Acadia National Park is amazing. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. I remember some pretty good places to eat, too (in Bar Harbor).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm from CA but traveled to New England in 2010 to introduce DH to my family & friends. We got engaged on Ogunquit Beach! *tear*
  • We went to Maine and stayed in Bar Harbor a few years ago. It was one stop on a long, crosscountry road trip, so unfortunately we didn't get to stay very long. I'd love to go back and spend more time in the Park, it was beautiful. Except for horrible morning sickness with DD1, we had a great time! Just thinking of lobster rolls makes my stomach turn a little
  • imageMsNessa:
    We went to Maine and stayed in Bar Harbor a few years ago. It was one stop on a long, crosscountry road trip, so unfortunately we didn't get to stay very long. I'd love to go back and spend more time in the Park, it was beautiful. Except for horrible morning sickness with DD1, we had a great time! Just thinking of lobster rolls makes my stomach turn a little

This is such a sad food aversion! Lobster rolls are deeeelicious.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"