November 2012 Moms

anyone else get TDP vaccine recently?

I had my 28 wk appt today and they recommended getting this vaccine due to the recent outbreak of pertussis (whooping cough) in babies.  They said it will protect the baby until she's old enough to get her vaccination.  I just hadn't heard of it and have a friend who's also due in November and her OB-GYN didn't mention it.

**  I should add that I DID in fact get the vaccine yesterday...no biggie... was just surprised I hadn't heard about us pregnant women getting them.  I'm all for protecting the little ones though! :) 

IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: anyone else get TDP vaccine recently?

• had it last week. no biggy.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At my 30 week appt, I asked he siad yes its recomended, lets do it today. My arm still hurts, but thats about all. DH will get one as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yup, at my last appointment when I got my Rhogam.  My arm hurt for a day, so if you're sensitive to vaccines (I am), schedule the appointment so it's late enough you don't have anything to do the rest of the day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had mine at 26 weeks.  I'm totally that girl and insisting that everyone who's coming for t-giving get it, too!

A lot of my friends have gotten it in the hospital right after delivery.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD was born September 3 last year... I got the vaccine in the hospital. My next OB appointment is Tuesday, but so far she hasn't mentioned me getting it again...
  • My doc said that you can get it during your 3rd trimester OR if you don't get it before the birth, the hospital will give it to you before you leave.  DH is paranoid about me getting vaccines while pregnant so that's what I am opting to do.

They also recommend that anyone who will be spending a lot of time with the baby should get it too.  My parents and DH are all getting them.

• DH and I got ours yesterday. OB office recommended it, but doesn't stock the vaccine, so had to go to family doc.  That office said they don't give vaccines to pregnant women, so there was some confusion, but I stood my ground and had them call the OB office for the OK.  Injection itself didn't hurt, but today my arm hurts.  DH's arm is fine though, so I guess is depends on the person.  My mom, grandma, and MIL & FIL (who will all be watching the baby regularly) are all planning on getting it soon, too.
  • imageLaura_Elaine:
    DD was born September 3 last year... I got the vaccine in the hospital. My next OB appointment is Tuesday, but so far she hasn't mentioned me getting it again...

I need to ask my OB about getting it again. I got one when DD was born, 15.5 months ago. Part of the TDaP vax is the tetanus and I know the plain ole tetanus vax is good for 10 years so I don't know when the TDaP needs a booster. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • imageLuckyMissus:

I had mine at 26 weeks.  I'm totally that girl and insisting that everyone who's coming for t-giving get it, too!

A lot of my friends have gotten it in the hospital right after delivery.

THIS! Yes I haven't been asked by my doctor yet, but I think I'll bring it up at my next appointment.

Isabella Sophia Tudorica - November 24, 2012
  • imageLaura_Elaine:
    DD was born September 3 last year... I got the vaccine in the hospital. My next OB appointment is Tuesday, but so far she hasn't mentioned me getting it again...

It's not an annual vaccine. The CDC simply recommends one booster for adults age 19-64. So if you had it once during that time frame you have immunity and should be good. I know in the ER I work in we give TdaP as the standard in place of just plain tetanus when someone cuts them self. I will be asking about mine at my next OB visit as I haven't had the Pertussis component and work in a Pediatric ER as well as an adult ER. 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesugar2515:

I asked my OB about it and she said to get it after delivery.  DH will get it, too.

This......we are all getting flu shots though 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"