November 2012 Moms
Options

Any multilingual families?

I was raised bilingual, and my husband learned english as a teenage immigrant, so we've got three native languages between us, and family speaking them all. We're planning to try for some kind of split of three languages at home, maybe dropping one if it doesn't work out.

Any other multilingual families? Any thoughts on how to split things? My mother claims she spoke French with me, as did her father, and then English when my father or her mother was around. We're thinking of doing the split something like that, each of us speaks to the kidlet in our language when we're alone, and we speak english, our common language, when we're together. I'm entirely undecided about sending the kid to english or french language schools when they're old enough, both are options.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any multilingual families?

• Options

Yes, we are a multilingual family!  My husband speaks fluent Spanish and I speak fluent French, but English is our native language.  No one else in either of our families are multilingual.  We plan on splitting, just as you say.  My husband will be speaking to our son in only Spanish when they are together.  I will speak to him in only French.  As a family, we'll speak English.  We'll be moving to either Spain or Brazil when our son is 2-3 years old, where he'll probably start school in Portuguese.

ETA:  He'll start school in Portuguese if we go to Brazil.  If it's Spain, obviously it'll be in Spanish. 

• Options
    Only bilingual here but we do the same thing. I speak Japanese when I'm with DD1 or other Japanese speakers and English when there are other English speakers around. She's just under two but and seems comfortable with both. Half her words are in Japanese, half in English she seems to choose whichever is easier for her to pronounce, but understands in either language. Plan on continuing with DD2.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've read that babies are very good at picking up and distinguishing languages, so you can mix and  match.

We are a trilingual family-- I'll speak one with the baby, in-laws will speak another when they take care of them 1 day a week, and then DH and everyone else will speak English with them.  We'll just see how it goes.

• Options
    I speak Russian, my husband is French and we're hoping for a Spanish speaking day-care.  The splitting languages when we are with bun seems the most sound plan. Kids learn languages so much faster than adults and I want her to be at least bilingual if possible.
  • Options
    My husband is a foreign language teacher, and he is fluent in French, and we are both competent in Spanish.  I don't think we'll be splitting the languages in our home and living bilingual (or trilingual)...  I don't think either of us really know enough Spanish for that, and while DH knows enough French, I don't!!  But, I know that we will begin teaching our son words and phrases in the other two languages from the time he is little...  DH already started it with my belly. Stick out tongue 
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"