September 2012 Moms
Options

Evening Primrose Oil

My MW told me that if I wanted I could start using Evening Primrose Oil vaginally at 37 weeks (which is tomorrow).  She said I can either poke holes in the capsules and insert them or I can get those little Instead cups (that people use during their period to catch fluid) and drain a few capsules into that and insert it.  I am just wondering, for those of you who have done this, how did you insert?  I don't want it all to leak out, and I want to get it close to my cervix, but I am not sure how much I like the idea of using the little cups.  I am sure it is irrational, but I am afraid if I have one in and my water breaks I may not know it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Evening Primrose Oil

• Options

The ladies on the natural birth board seem to find that just inserting the capsule and wearing a pantyliner to bed does the trick. I think some have mentioned poking the capsule with a pin, but either way it seems to get absorbed in for most people and be no big deal for the most part.

I considered picking some EPO up yesterday, but then decided against it. Not sure why. I'm sure it can't hurt. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just went with inserting it right before bed, and immediately laying down.  It seemed to work for the most part, although I'm really interested on hearing if there are better ways!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You don't have to poke holes in it. If you put it in the heat and moistness will help it dissolve down there.
  • Options

imagePhillyPhan:
    I just went with inserting it right before bed, and immediately laying down.  It seemed to work for the most part, although I'm really interested on hearing if there are better ways!

Did you poke holes in them?  How did you ensure they were close to your cervix, just shove them up as far as you could?  Did they leak out at all?  Sorry for all the questions, ha. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMomiJerz:
    You don't have to poke holes in it. If you put it in the heat and moistness will help it dissolve down there.

Thanks!  

• Options

I just inserted them whole and they dissolved just fine. My first morning pee became quite oily once I got to two capsules a night!

ETA: You pretty much know you are using enough when it leaks out. My H was doing perineal massage nightly, so after he did that he would insert them for me when I was already down for the night.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    UnemUnem member

Can I add a question?

My MW has had me taking them orally since 35 weeks.  What is the difference between doing oral or inserting them?

Emilia Antoinette
    10.03.12 at 41w5d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on starting later, like 39 weeks? I'm already passed the 37 week most ladies are mentioning and so I wonder if it is worth it or if I should still start with just one or go for two or three right away given being farther along?
    Adiah Catherine ~ September 6, 2012

• Options
    imageUnem:

Can I add a question?

My MW has had me taking them orally since 35 weeks.  What is the difference between doing oral or inserting them?

it's more effective when you insert them vaginally. I started using EPO and it seemed to be working well- lost my MP after the first night of using it. I am using borage oil instead because the EPO gave me cramps. 

• Options
    I just insert them whole at night right before I go to be and wear a panty liner. Yes, it will leak a bit especially if you're like me and get up every couple of hours to pee.  I've been using it for 2 weeks now (per my dr) and there hasn't been any change in my cervix or dialation so I'm not quite sure how well it works but I will continue to use it orally and vaginally for the next couple weeks it hopes that something will happen.  Oh and fyi, it doesn't have the most pleasant smell so I can't wait to shower in the  morning to get it off me!
  • Options
    imageLyndseylovesHugh:

imagePhillyPhan:

Did you poke holes in them?  How did you ensure they were close to your cervix, just shove them up as far as you could?  Did they leak out at all?  Sorry for all the questions, ha. 

No holes, like a PP said, they just sort of disolve on their own from the heat.  I just kind of went with it and put it up as far as I could.  It did leak a little since I didn't go to bed right away like I thought I was going to.  I think a panty liner should do the trick tonight just in case.

• Options
    I am taking two orally and inserting one at this point. Is that what you all were instructed to try or are you taking 4 around 38 weeks? If you take 4 are you swallowing two and inserting two? Just wondering. It seems like inserting 3 would be a lot and a mess.
  • Options

imagekristyandruss:
    Anyone have any thoughts on starting later, like 39 weeks? I'm already passed the 37 week most ladies are mentioning and so I wonder if it is worth it or if I should still start with just one or go for two or three right away given being farther along?

I just started today I am 39 weeks and was 1CM dilated at my appt 2 weeks ago

• Options
    I just walked my big self up to Whole Foods to buy myself some EPO. Turns out the mg per capsule aren't the important part as that just refers to the amount of oil (which apparently isn't what we're going for) it's the Gamma Linolenic Acid in the oil. There were two there with like 45 mg of that stuff, and then another with 260 mg of Gamma Linolenic Acid per capsule. The ones with 45 mg were 500 mg capsules, and the ones with 260 mg are 1300 mg capsules. So it is definitely a bigger capsule but you would still have to put in 6 of the others to equal one of the 1300 mg capsules (brand: Barlean's). So check that out too as you consider how many you are using/inserting. 
    Adiah Catherine ~ September 6, 2012

• Options

imagekristyandruss:
    I just walked my big self up to Whole Foods to buy myself some EPO. Turns out the mg per capsule aren't the important part as that just refers to the amount of oil (which apparently isn't what we're going for) it's the Gamma Linolenic Acid in the oil. There were two there with like 45 mg of that stuff, and then another with 260 mg of Gamma Linolenic Acid per capsule. The ones with 45 mg were 500 mg capsules, and the ones with 260 mg are 1300 mg capsules. So it is definitely a bigger capsule but you would still have to put in 6 of the others to equal one of the 1300 mg capsules (brand: Barlean's). So check that out too as you consider how many you are using/inserting. 

That's good to know, thank you!  I will be making my way to Whole Foods this weekend because I believe the ones I've been using are the 500mg, which might explain why I haven't shown any progress at all! 

• Options
    imagekatiedollaz:
    I am taking two orally and inserting one at this point. Is that what you all were instructed to try or are you taking 4 around 38 weeks? If you take 4 are you swallowing two and inserting two? Just wondering. It seems like inserting 3 would be a lot and a mess.
    This is what I am doing so far but if I don't show any progress at my next internal I might do 2 orally and 2 internally. This would be around 38wks.
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options
    As far as it working, from the research I've done, it will not start softening your cervix. However, it will help it once it has already started itself. Does that make sense? I went from a fingertip to 1 cm in a week so my MW told me to stop using it until today. Then at today's appt she told me to hold off until Monday because she will out of town until then. :) Apparently she saw a significant enough progress from using it that she actually asked me to stop taking it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"