Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Piercing baby's ears??

Any thoughts on piercing a baby's ears?  I have a daughter and was thinking of piercing her ears next month (when she will be 6 months).  I am getting a lot of flack from family members and friends that I should let her tell me if she wants them done when she is older. I was not allowed to get mine pierced and got them done at 18.  My sister got hers done at 25 (and my mother finally caved and got her done at 50!! for my wedding....) I wanted them my entire life---and I just assumed that because she is my daughter...she will want them too..:)

Thoughts?  I would love to hear... 

Re: Piercing baby's ears??

• I had DD's done despite all of the concerns about her pulling them, me cleaning them, and us missing out on a special mother daughter day (even at 6 my sister screamed so much they only got one ear done).

I waited to have them done at the dr and they didn't do it until 6 months.  The nurse who did it sucked.  She did 1, took her time as DD screamed, then did the other and it was barely on her ear, it looked horrible.  I took them out, and didn't have the balls to complain and ask for my money back.  When it healed I took her to the mall.  DH sat on the stool with her on his lap.  I held a bottle to her face as the ladies took their time marking her ears.  She stood perfectly still sipping her bottle while they got it perfectly even.  They pieced both ears together, she cried for a second, and almost 2 years later they still look great.  She's lost a few earrings, never swallowed any, but she loves getting new ones and is very proud of her earrings. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • imageLalaMama81:

Honestly, I hate pierced ears on babies. I know it is cultural for some, but it is not for our family. My daughters will not be getting theirs done until they are closer to 5, 6, 7 if not older. 

I think it looks silly and I prefer not to alter my child's body unless they are on board. 

I don't know how you feel about circumcisions, but I felt much worse about doing that then having DD's ears pierced.  That felt like I was saying there was something wrong with DS from the moment of birth, then letting DD be girly  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Loading the player...
  • I'll put to you this way. That's your baby nobody else's if you want her ear's pierced totally do it. If i had a baby girl i would have done it at 4 months tbh.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemegann831:
    imageLalaMama81:

Honestly, I hate pierced ears on babies. I know it is cultural for some, but it is not for our family. My daughters will not be getting theirs done until they are closer to 5, 6, 7 if not older. 

I think it looks silly and I prefer not to alter my child's body unless they are on board. 

I don't know how you feel about circumcisions, but I felt much worse about doing that then having DD's ears pierced.  That felt like I was saying there was something wrong with DS from the moment of birth, then letting DD be girly  

oh how i agree with this. 

• My mom had my ears pierced when I was 8 months old. Honestly, I'm glad. I don't remember it and she took care of them as they healed. I never messed with them, or got infections like my friends who had them done around 6 years old. I certainly don't feel like I missed out on a mommybonding time, nor do I begrudge my parents for "altering my body", and I don't feel that they thought I wasn't "perfect" without them.
    I'll pierce my own DD's ears if I can find a place to do it.
    If you want to, go for it. Other people might have a negative opinion about it, but she's your child so you're the one who gets to make decisions about her.
  • We are doing DD's in a couple of weeks.  She is 5 months old.  I am Cuban and in my culture that is just what you do.  All of the women and girls in my family all had our ears pierced as babies.  My grandmother said in Cuba they used to do it in the hospital when the baby was born.  I know for some people it is a big rite of passage but it has never been a big deal in my family. 
  • imagejennyann28:
    My mom had my ears pierced when I was 8 months old. Honestly, I'm glad. I don't remember it and she took care of them as they healed. I never messed with them, or got infections like my friends who had them done around 6 years old. I certainly don't feel like I missed out on a mommybonding time, nor do I begrudge my parents for "altering my body", and I don't feel that they thought I wasn't "perfect" without them. I'll pierce my own DD's ears if I can find a place to do it. If you want to, go for it. Other people might have a negative opinion about it, but she's your child so you're the one who gets to make decisions about her.

All of this. I'm such a sucker for pain that if my mom hadn't done it when I was a baby I probably never would've done it, not because I didn't want them but because I wouldn't have wanted to go through the pain.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't judge anyone who does it but it's not for our family for the same reason we did not circumcise our son.... Their body, their choice. If you do choose to pierce them I have heard the younger the better so they don't mess with them.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just got our daughters done this week at 4 months.  She barely made a fuss, she had a little stunned cry, I picked her up and nursed her and she didn't know any different, in fact was in an awesome mood the rest of the day.  I came under attack by a lot of people but ultimately in the end it was the decision of my husband and myself what was going to work for our baby.  I had mine done at a very young age and I am happy that my parents went ahead with it.  As for "missing out" on a bonding experience, I take every chance with my baby as a bonding experience, enjoying laughter and interaction and I dont think that those moments are limited to ear piercing when the child gets older, so are we missing out, not at all! 
  • Uhmm.. No. Mine aren't done, my mom's aren't done and my daughter's most certainly won't be done unless she decides she wants them done when she is capable of making that decision.
  • I hope this doesn't come across as mean, but I always thought that little babies with no hair and pierced ears kind of look like sick adults or older children... I think the earrings make them look older, but then there's no hair... It's not as bad on babies who are very hairy, but I personally still don't love the idea of something so grown up-ish being put on a baby.
  • imageLalaMama81:

This exactly. I understand it is a cultural thing for some people, but for me, I just don't get it. I used to run a home daycare and had a few baby girls with pierced ears. I was always so scared they were going to get pulled out when they became toddlers. I had one toddler that was always losing them and pulling on them. I honestly just don't get why people don't just wait. If she wants her ears pierced, she'll tell you. I remember it being a sweet coming of age type of thing for me. I was 8.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If you want them pierced, get them done.   I just had my LO's done at 4months and she cries more during tummy time than with the piercing.   I don't care if ppl think earings look stupid or make my baby look older or sickly as one lady suggested. 

I had mine done when i was a baby and wanted to do the same

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageLalaMama81:
    Honestly, I hate pierced ears on babies. I know it is cultural for some, but it is not for our family. My daughters will not be getting theirs done until they are closer to 5, 6, 7 if not older.nbsp;I think it looks silly and I prefer not to alter my child's body unless they are on board.nbsp;

Yeah, I tend to agree with this personally. That said, your child and your family, so do what you feel is best! :

• I'm in the "it looks silly to me" camp, but it's your kid so do what you want.

My daughter will get her ears pierced when she's old enough to ask for it and prove that she's responsible enough to take care of them. I got mine done when I was 8 and my mom made a whole special outing of it...shopping for new clothes, lunch, and getting my ears pierced. It made me feel so proud and grown up. I want DD to have that kind of experience. 

ETA:

RE:

imagevicky7139:

and I just assumed that because she is my daughter...she will want them too..:)

Don't assume. My mom likes a LOT of things that I can't stand. :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageLalaMama81:
    imagemegann831:
    imageLalaMama81:

I wouldn't circumcise a son either. What if your DD doesn't want to be girly?  

There are too many guys on this planet with ear piercings for me to associate it with being "girly" anymore.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I had my DD's ears peirced a few weeks ago, she did great, cried a little but after that she was completely herself again. I have been taking good care of them and have had no problems. They look cute
  • imageOkayKelci:
    imagemegann831:

I had DD's done despite all of the concerns about her pulling them, me cleaning them, and us missing out on a special mother daughter day (even at 6 my sister screamed so much they only got one ear done).

I waited to have them done at the dr and they didn't do it until 6 months.  The nurse who did it sucked.  She did 1, took her time as DD screamed, then did the other and it was barely on her ear, it looked horrible.  I took them out, and didn't have the balls to complain and ask for my money back.  When it healed I took her to the mall.  DH sat on the stool with her on his lap.  I held a bottle to her face as the ladies took their time marking her ears.  She stood perfectly still sipping her bottle while they got it perfectly even.  They pieced both ears together, she cried for a second, and almost 2 years later they still look great.  She's lost a few earrings, never swallowed any, but she loves getting new ones and is very proud of her earrings. 

I will not have my daughter's ears pierced until she is old enough to tell me she wants them done. I try not to side eye other parents that have their baby's ears pierced- unless they do it TWICE or take them to the freaking MALL. Then I side eye.

I agree. I side eye big time! This sounds like you are torturing your poor baby girl. Poking holes when they don't need to go through this pain! My little girl will not get her ears pierced until she is 12 years old, old enough to take care of them herself, and understand if she wants them in the first place.

• imagemkflower3000:
    I hope this doesn't come across as mean, but I always thought that little babies with no hair and pierced ears kind of look like sick adults or older children... I think the earrings make them look older, but then there's no hair... It's not as bad on babies who are very hairy, but I personally still don't love the idea of something so grown up-ish being put on a baby.

My DD has tons of hair so that's good.  I guess she'll look pretty with her earrings. 

• Mine were done at 4 months.  I was fine.  Never an issue.  However, now as an adult, I rarely wear jewelry.  We won't be doing DDs because DH doesn't want to and I don't feel strongly one way or another.  I think it will be fun to do it when she is old enough and knows what is going on.

Also, FYI, as a baby, I was known to eat my gold hoop earrings and my mom would search my diapers for them. 

• You can side eye me all you'd like, you don't know me from a hole in the wall.  If you saw my daughter walking down the street you'd have no idea what the circumstances were around here ear piercing.  I'm really not sure why you'd care if I had them done at the mall.  That is their job, they do it all the time, they know what they're doing, and they did it 100 times better then the doctor.  She's 2 1/2, she loves wearing earrings and talks about them often, she hasn't been traumatized.  I'm really not sure why people make such a big deal of it, either way.  For those of you planning this special day when they're 8 or 12 or what ever, that may not happen either, and there are plenty of ordinary events you can make into special days when ever you want.  If my daughter decides when she's 8 she doesn't want them, we'll take them out, no big deal.  I had mine done around 5, 15, and 17, and now I wear none.

I don't understand why so many moms think it's acceptable to look down on others who choose to pierce their baby's ears. 

• My mother forced me to get mine pierced when I was very small.  I hated them.  When I turned 7 she finally gave me the choice in taking them out & letting them grow in.

I am EXTREMELY girly but I do not miss having my ears pierced; I wish I would've been allowed to make my own decision from the beginning.  Because of this, if I ever have a little girl, I WILL NOT pierce her ears.  It's her choice. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"