Multiples
Options

Fundal height measurement

Okay so I will be 20 weeks on Sunday. I went in for my A/S and 20 week appointment yesterday. Everything looked great on the ultrasound babies both measuring very close : ) Doctor was only slightly concerned that I have only gained 9 pounds. THEN he measured my fundal height at 27!!!! I was shocked. If I am already measuring that far how will there be room in there by 30+ weeks?! I am not sure if measuring 7 1/2 weeks ahead is normal or not?! I would've asked the doctor, but it didn't really hit me until I was out the door.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Fundal height measurement

• Options

I've never measured that far ahead (the furthest I've been is 3 weeks, maybe 4 one time), but it seems very common based on what other women on this board have shared. That fundal measurement can also change over time, and you may not end up as far ahead as you're thinking in your worst nightmare scenario :) Some women do consistently measure very far ahead with multiples, however. It's very normal and your babies are growing nice and big!

The doctor may have over-measured a bit, too. I squawked once when my doctor measured me really far ahead so she re-measured and realized she'd made a mistake and I was a couple centimeters smaller. They'll track your measurements over time and investigate further if there's any cause for concern. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Everyone's different, but I think it's normal to measure anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks ahead. I've seen some posts on here that are more than that. I've been measuring 6 to 8 weeks ahead, and it keeps growing with each appointment :) I think you sound perfectly normal!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for reassuring me ladies! : )
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's normal! You have two LOs in there, and those measurements are based on singleton pregnancies. I consistently measure 8-9 weeks ahead. The doctor just told me 2 days ago, "Dang, that's a big uterus!" I was hysterical laughing. No worries, mama. Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

There is zero normal fundal height for multiples. It means nothing about growth or possible preterm delivery.  It really doesn't reflect anything.  So I never measure my patients unless for fun. 

I would not stress about this at all.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Options

imageBabyCarryingVessel:
    Everyone's different, but I think it's normal to measure anywhere from 5 to 8 weeks ahead. I've seen some posts on here that are more than that. I've been measuring 6 to 8 weeks ahead, and it keeps growing with each appointment :) I think you sound perfectly normal!

This. 

By the end of my pregnancy (37 weeks) I was 52cm. Uncomfortable was not even the word for what I was!!  I really think it had a lot to do with their positioning (as is usually the case with fundal height).  I was measuring about 12 weeks ahead until my last couple of appointments.  My baby A was head down, facing my spine with his butt pushed waaaaaay out by the end, so my last couple of measurements were 15 weeks ahead.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image image
  • Options
    I've consistently measured ahead as well. I went to my OB on Tuesday and measured 35 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I measured 52 at 37 weeks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've consistently measured ahead since they started measuring me around 20 weeks.  I also have only gained about 11 lbs and last weekend at 29w3d I was measuring 44wks so 14+ weeks ahead.  Babies fluid levels are fine and I do not have GD so no one is worried.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options

I measured 10 weeks ahead starting at 20 weeks and went between 10-12 weeks ahead the rest of my pregnancy.

This one I've been measuring 2 weeks ahead - it happens!

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think at that point I measured about 5-6w ahead but I was measuring 8-10w ahead for about the last 12 weeks of pregnancy. Hang in there!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"