Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Worried about being left alone with DD

DH's one week of leave ends and he has to go back to work on Tuesday. I am still not really recovered from the c/s and afraid to be left alone. I know my dad and friends will come over and help, but I am just afraid something will happen with DD and I won't be able to take care of her. I so wish DH could have one more week home with us until I felt at least 80 percent better!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Worried about being left alone with DD

• Options
    While I can't speak for the pain/recovery of having a c-section and being left alone. I can tell you that you might be surprised at how your mothering instincts will kick in when it is just you.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Dont worry you will get the hang of it! I was terrified to be left alone with my LO especially since I was healing from a second degree tear.  The first day was the scariest, just because I was nervous that I would not know what to do.  But instincts kicked in and I was fine.  You can do it and it will be easier than you thought!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Just take a deep breath, it will all work out.  Remember if you become stressed and over-whelmed, just put the baby down and take a breather.  A baby can cry, it's okay for that to happen.

When you're standing there and they are crying, just stay calm and treat it like a process of elimination.  Are they hungry? y/n  Do they need a new diaper? y/n  Do they need to be burped? y/n  Is the baby tired and wants to be rocked? y/n.  Sometimes baby's cry because they are bored or over-stimulated.  Try putting them in a swing or bouncer for a bit.  Sometimes baby's just want to be held and cuddled.  It depends on the child.

Try putting the baby in the stroller and going for a short walk if the weather is nice, fresh air is great for the mind and sanity.  You're recovering from a c/s so don't over-do yourself.  Take that walk when you're good and ready.

• Options
    It is scary the first day.  But, you can do it.  Also I found that every day after the c section I felt considerably better.  So hopefully by tues you will have much more energy!
  • Options
    You'll get the hang of it. My dh printed up a checklist 'for the delirious parent' and taped it to various surfaces in the house to remind him what to do when the baby cries. It's pretty hilarious:
    My Blog
    DS 2/23/10
    DD 7/31/2012
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My DH left 10 days after LO was born. He had a summer job out of state. I also had a c-section. I spent 2 wks alone at home and I hired a neighbor to come 2h/day to do the dishes and laundry. She ended up helping a lot with DD.

I was afraid of not being able to do it, but we are stronger than we think. GL and PM me if you like.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My H went back to work when LO was 2 weeks old. First day and week was the hardest for me especially emotionally but we survived. Just know that you can get through it. Time seemed to stand still for me then but it truly gets easier. Accept help from whoever you feel comfortable with to help with your recovery. For me, I was on my own with no family around so thinking back I thought it would've been nice just to have someone around to help hold LO when they seemed to like to be held constantly at this age or do stuff around the house etc.
  • Options
    imageIvana.Stolichnaya:

Just take a deep breath, it will all work out.  Remember if you become stressed and over-whelmed, just put the baby down and take a breather.  A baby can cry, it's okay for that to happen.

When you're standing there and they are crying, just stay calm and treat it like a process of elimination.  Are they hungry? y/n  Do they need a new diaper? y/n  Do they need to be burped? y/n  Is the baby tired and wants to be rocked? y/n.  Sometimes baby's cry because they are bored or over-stimulated.  Try putting them in a swing or bouncer for a bit.  Sometimes baby's just want to be held and cuddled.  It depends on the child.

Try putting the baby in the stroller and going for a short walk if the weather is nice, fresh air is great for the mind and sanity.  You're recovering from a c/s so don't over-do yourself.  Take that walk when you're good and ready.

THIS!!! This is exactly what you need to do. I had a c-section and took my first walk 2 weeks pp. It was a short walk around the block. But It was enough to calm me and LO down. Also my DS loves to be in his carseat. So walks have been great with him! Good Luck Mama!! You can do it! 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I understand - I was totally thrown by just how much my c-section recovery took out of me physically!  As PPs said, you'll know 'what" to do instinctively.  As for whether you'll physically be able to - you will.  Just chuck everything other than that which is absoluetly necessary to care for LO off your plate.  And accept all offers for help.  Do try to get out of the house - movement at your pace will help you recover physcially and feel better emotionally.  Ask your friends to go for a short walk with you and LO so that you can buildyour confidence there as well.  Ask them to bring you a meal or make you a sandwich - whatever you need/want.  Believe me - they WANT to help and will feel better knowing that the help they are giving is indeed what you need.

THese are all suggestions that worked for me.  Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks! Your advice has made me feel better about being alone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

Don't worry! You will do awesome. To be honest, I bawled even before my DH left for work his first day back. I was so terrified! But we did alright. My mom gave me some great advice:

Get yourself ready for bed/house ready to be shut up, so when LO goes down for the night, you can right on to bed as well- no matter the time!

Our first day alone was a little scary but then I realized, "Hey, I'm the mother and (no offense to my DH) I've been doing all the work anyways!" I did have to go slow as I was recovery from a 2nd degree tear- not even close to a c section- so I sometimes didn't get to her as soon as I wanted. But I made peace with it.

As the PP said, do only what is needed and don't push yourself! Give yourself a break momma- you just had a sweet baby! :)

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"