October 2012 Moms
Options

toddler bag for the hospital

In addition to a present from the baby (we want to get her something that she can play independently with so that she can be occupied when we're dealing with the baby), we want to have a bag of little things for DD to play with while she's at the hospital.  I think the baby will lose it's excitement after about 10 minutes, and I know whoever brings her will want to stay longer. 

Other than crayons, stickers and a coloring book, I can't really think of anything else to put in there.  anyone have any suggestions? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: toddler bag for the hospital

• Options

DS is younger than your DD but he is ALL about Pinwheels these days.  Those things occupy him for a while.  

He also Loves puzzles now that he's able to do an actual 24 pc. "real" puzzle.  He has a great wooden one of Sesame Street characters that I just got at Wal Mart for like $3 bucks.

The Dollar Tree is where I go sometimes to look for random "keep him occupied" treats.  Maybe you could find a couple of things there.

• Options
    I agree with the dollar store...or if you have the store called Five Below, they have great toys all $5 and under. DS is 4 so he'll be in preschool for the first half of the day, but since I'm having a RCS and we know we'll be in the hospital a few days I'm definitely going to get a few things to keep him occupied. DS is really into video games so thankfully he has a PSP and the VTech tablet so he's got some electronics to keep him busy. I'll bring a puzzle or two and maybe even some DVDs that he can watch on the laptop. We aren't sure how long he'll stay at the hospital with us since we will have my FI's parents around and I'm sure they'll keep him busy if my FI isn't.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am getting DD a new doll with a bunch of accessories... diapers, bottle, car seat, etc. Her birthday was in July and we didn't do a "bigger" present knowing that we would order this for when the baby is born. My MIL has made her some special blankets and diaper cloths to go with it and it will be a present from the baby.

All of that said, I have read to not have older siblings at the hospital for long. I am hoping for a problem-free vag birth, with a 48 hour stay max, and ILs will just have to visit with the new baby when we are home as they will have DD1 the whole time.

Birthday

• Options

Snacks. 

Something she can watch videos on (laptop, tablet, phone) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    My DD is younger than yours but loves her mr. potato head.  She also loves this magnetic sketch thing we bought her.  Yours might be old enough for an etch a sketch.  Also she likes cars and trucks and blocks and books.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options

Forgot about books!

Also, we got her her own baby doll that she will get when she meets her brother. It has some accessories, but I might think about getting a few more.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Yummy snacks, maybe pack her favorite treat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I saw a fun idea on pinterest about packing a disposable camera so the older sibling can take pictures of baby, mom, dad. I thought that was neat since my daughter loves taking pictures.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We got DS a Magna Doodle when he had his tonsils taken out and he would play with that for a long time.  I got one for my friend's daughter when she had a baby recently because it kept DS so occupied.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Those plastic animals are always a hit over here...you can get them at Michaels and just put them in a big bag.   I don't think you will want your toddler hanging around for more than 45 minutes anyway through.  My son is adorable and sweet, but more than 45 minutes in one hospital room would be my limit, haha!  Maybe someone else can be there too so they can take him to the cafeteria, for a walk around the grounds, etc.
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    If you have the budget for it a device like a Leapster or Leappad is awesome to keep preschoolers occupied for more than a few minutes.  It could even be a gift from the baby to your toddler.  My 2 year old even likes watching stuff on her sister's Leapster explorer.  She likes it so much we're getting her a Leappad for Christmas.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"