Previous Incision Thickness — The Bump
VBAC

Previous Incision Thickness

Hello Ladies,

I was planning on having a VBAC, but have just found out that the scar from my previous c-section is not thick enough, thus putting me at higher risk of rupture.  I found out at the end of my last appointment and was told we would discuss options at my next appointment.  Has anyone else heard of this?

 

Re: Previous Incision Thickness

  • I have absolutely zero medical background, but that sounds fishy to me.  I would get several different opinions from different practices before I just accepted that answer.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • They never measured the thickness of my scar. That sounds a little strange to me too.
                                                                             
    image 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • There's not enough studies to prove that there's a correlation between scar thickness and chance of rupture. Honestly, I would print out this blog post and take it to your provider (as she cites a few studies):

    http://vbacfacts.com/2009/01/17/predicting-uterine-rupture-via-sonogram-to-measure-uterine-thickness/

    Here's another post: 

    http://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/2009/02/ultrasound-measurement-of-cesarean-scar.html

    How far along are you? Can you find another provider who truly supports VBAC? I was also never given any constraints for my VBAC, either.

    hth and good luck!

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

  • Thanks for the feedback ladies.  I've tried to find more data on the internet, but there isn't much there.  My doctor is definitely not against VBAC, and has always said that it is ultimately my decision.  She'll just give me the facts and let me make the decision.  She had just stated that in Canada anything under 3.0 mm is considered high risk and I'm at 2.0 mm.  We'll see what she says at the next appointment.  Up to this point she has always encouraged a VBAC, so I hope she'll give her honest opinion. 
  • image beham:
    Thanks for the feedback ladies.  I've tried to find more data on the internet, but there isn't much there.  My doctor is definitely not against VBAC, and has always said that it is ultimately my decision.  She'll just give me the facts and let me make the decision.  She had just stated that in Canada anything under 3.0 mm is considered high risk and I'm at 2.0 mm.  We'll see what she says at the next appointment.  Up to this point she has always encouraged a VBAC, so I hope she'll give her honest opinion. 

    I don't know about that stat. Or what high-risk in Canada means to you. I'm not trying to flame you, but it does sort of sound like she may be setting you up to not be disappointed if she wants you to have a RCS.

    Are you on FB? I would ask your questions (specifically that Canada stat) on there:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/vbacfactscommunity/

    https://www.facebook.com/vbacfan

    DS1 - Feb 2008

    DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards