Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Vent: clueless moms

Can I vent? Please please don't flame me.

I just got off the phone with my SIL who is 7 weeks pregnant and it took her a year to get pregnant, which makes my heart break. She's a nurse in a general practice and I have no medical background so I would expect her to know a good bit more about general medicine. Don't get me wrong. I love her dearly and we've really bonded over our pregnancy challenges, though they are very very different.

She had her first appointment and was worried about the baby because her doctor says she is 7 weeks yet her last period was almost 10 weeks ago. She thought she had to be ten weeks because "you can only get pregnant two weeks after your period on day 14". Turns out she never charted anything, as was obviously recommended, and she's only been having sex blindly around day 14 for a year. She even wanted a referral for looking into fertility treatments, though she hadn't asked yet. She also has never been to an ob/gyn before or had an exam. Seriously?!? And you went to nursing school?!? I just don't get it. After all I've been through, I'd do about anything to make sure I have the most up to date information about my body and ive gone through some nasty testing to do so. But to understand so little?!

Moral of the story: know your own basic medical knowledge so you can advocate for yourself because apparently not all nurses do... I'm actually scared...

BPF 1. Baby Girl "Petri" 12/22/11 Said goodbye 12/27/11

BPF 2. Baby Boy "Roo" 1/20/12 Heartbeat 160b/m 2/15/12 Said goodbye 2/20/12

BPF 3. Rainbow Baby Boy "Creed"  4/28/12 Born healthy and alive 1/5/13

BFP 4. "Rainbow 2.0" 8/17/14 due 4/28/15

"Darling don't be afraid. I have loved you a thousand years. I love you a thousand more."

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vent: clueless moms

• Options

That's really odd, especially since she's a nurse! Indifferent

Maybe a good Christmas gift would be the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    WOW! That is sad. Please send her to fertilityfriend.com ASAP. She needs to take their on line free classes before she passes the only day 14 knowledge onto the next generation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageweddedwife:

That's really odd, especially since she's a nurse! Indifferent

Maybe a good Christmas gift would be the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book?

Yes

I am kind of shocked she is a nurse and still so unaware.  It really blows my mind how little women tend to know about their own bodies.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options

That's bizarre.  I have to admit I was clueless about my cycle until I started to TTC, but I worked through that with this crazy new invention they have called a "book" which walked me through the concepts of ovulation, conception, temping, etc. Actually, I think I read two books.

What is up with her?!!

• Options
    Oh I forgot the best part! She asked me if my son has a heartbeat yet. I'm 21 weeks....

BPF 1. Baby Girl "Petri" 12/22/11 Said goodbye 12/27/11

BPF 2. Baby Boy "Roo" 1/20/12 Heartbeat 160b/m 2/15/12 Said goodbye 2/20/12

BPF 3. Rainbow Baby Boy "Creed"  4/28/12 Born healthy and alive 1/5/13

BFP 4. "Rainbow 2.0" 8/17/14 due 4/28/15

"Darling don't be afraid. I have loved you a thousand years. I love you a thousand more."

imageimageimage

• Options

Okay, seriously this woman needs to get a valid education on female bodies (and I am sure much much more). If she has a daughter I can just imagine the sex talk;

"Now honey, don't have sex on day 14 without a condom, but any other day is okay. And remember, you can't get pregnant during your period or before your 1st period. Also if he says he has to have sex or it will cause him pain you just have to take one for the team."

Lord, tell me she isn't in Northern California!

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imageJuddandJessica:
    Oh I forgot the best part! She asked me if my son has a heartbeat yet. I'm 21 weeks....

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it is so far fetched that she wasn't charting, especially since he hadn't ever been to an OB before. The first thing our OB wanted us to do was chart, and we did that, and we still didn't get pregnant. It wasn't until after we quit worrying about the stupid chart and when I'm ovulating and if I was getting my period or if I was pregnant. And guess what? Two months after we stopped trying, I became pregnant. Before I became a mother, I knew nothing. My husband also works in healthcare and knows zip about what's going on with my body, though we're learning together (as things have changed since the last time I've been pregnant).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"