December 2011 Moms

Sippy Cups

How do your LOs do with them?  We have tried multiple kinds including straw cups without much success.  He just bites on the spout or straw.  The only one I am able to use with him is a Tommy Tippy one, when it is tipped back the water comes out and he doesn't have to suck on it but I have to tip it back for him, he won't tip it back on his own. 

I thought by now he would be better about taking the sippy, but maybe I just need to give it more time. 

Re: Sippy Cups

• I only offered Tommee tippee straw and he took it well. There is a an article showing how to get them to drink from a straw. I will look for it. Some babies just need practice. We started with regular Poland spring bottle and fed him the water. I think that helped him get the idea of lots of liquid in his mouth and swallowing. I will post the how to once I find it.

ETA: https://www.ehow.com/how_2087311_teachchilddrinkfromstraw.html

Lucas started at 6.5 months so the age range they use isn't very accurate.

Lilypie - (ovfd)

• Thanks, I will try that. He really likes to just drink from a regular water bottle, he will take that and tip it up to his mouth.  Maybe he would do better with just a cup or a straw in the water bottle at first.
  • Loading the player...

• I tried a couple different types of sippy cups before switching to these straw cups that allow you to press on the sides to push a little liquid up the straw into the baby's mouth.  

https://www.playtexbaby.com/mobile/CupsMealtime/Lil-Gripper/LilGripperTrainingCup

My DS caught on very quickly with these cups and can now drink out of a regular cup and straw (while I hold the cup of course).  I don't think he would have figured a regular sippy cup out by now either, he would just get frustrated and bang the cup on his high chair.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 0015-1
  • We offered water at just before 6 months and E did really well with the Nuk brand sippy with a straw. He can easily grab both handles and pull the straw into his mouth. He can drink out of a regular sippy if we tip it back for him. I think he did so well early on with the straw because he has been getting vitamin D supplements daily from a medicine dropper since day one and he liked to suck on it.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • so far we've tried nuk & tommy tippee, and avent regular sippy cup with soft spout which she mainly chews on.  i bought the playtex straws and i'm going to try those. i also bought the sassy grow up cup which is supposed to be more like a real cup but w/o spilling. 

she still barely drinks an oz of water a day so i have to start teaching her.  

• We have tried a few different kinds of sippys and the only one that DS was able to get the hang of is the plain cheap-o take and toss ones.  They are not completely spill-proof but are really easy to clean and you get 5 of them for like $3.  

He is just starting to get the hang of drinking out of a straw from a regular cup (with us holding it of course).  

• I have a Nuby cup which DS has yet to master.  He puts it in his mouth and sucks, but he hasn't figured out that he needs to lift it up to get the water.  We're taking a trip to Buy Buy Baby this weekend for some new toys and a straw cup.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We bought the straw cup PP mentioned where you can squeeze the cup to help them learn.

Unfortunately I think she's learned that the straw goes in her mouth and them mama squeezes the water.   :/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"