Baby Showers
Options

Hostess Gift Question

Hello, I am a usual lurker, looking for guidance.

My stepmother and close girlfriend are hosting my baby shower in a few weeks. I have decided to get my stepmom a beautiful Pandora charm for her bracelet with a nice card and a handwritten heartfelt message celebrating her new grandmother status, and maybe a bouquet of flowers. She is really going all out, from the snippets of info I've gotten from her about the shower, so I really want to do something nice.

The dilemma I am in: what to get the friend who is helping my stepmother. I am not looking to be flamed, not sure if this is flame-worthy (hope not, but feel free if I'm being an idiot) but I threw her baby shower, hosted it alone because no one offered to help from her closer group of friends, nor did her sister or anyone in her family. She is a great friend so I didn't mind, and spent quite a lot on a 60 person shower, and I LOVED planning it and throwing it! She did not give me a hostess gift, and it didn't bug me one bit because I didn't know about hostess gifts as I have never thrown a shower or been thrown one, until this one coming up. I wasn't expecting one and was never offended.

Now I've been lurking like the lurker I am and learning lots from you ladies, and I am wondering: if you were in my shoes, what would you get her? I know I *should* get her something nice and heartfelt. Am I being an a**hole just wanting to get her a card and something small? I am trying hard not to be a "tit-for-tat" or a brat. DH says to get her nothing. I do not agree with him.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hostess Gift Question

• Options

If you want to "just" get her a card and something small that's fine.  Write her a note about how much she means to you and how you're grateful she's a "mommy-role-model" for you. 

I've honestly always loved getting notes and letters of thanks more than gifts--they mean more.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    imagegraciesmurf:

If you want to "just" get her a card and something small that's fine.  Write her a note about how much she means to you and how you're grateful she's a "mommy-role-model" for you. 

I've honestly always loved getting notes and letters of thanks more than gifts--they mean more.

This, and if you really feel the need to get her a gift, maybe a gift card for a manicure and pedicure? Give her the chance to pamper herself a little bit. I just wouldn't give your friend and your stepmother their gifts in front of each other.

Married 2/15/09, BFP #1 02/03/12 - EDD 10/13/12, Missed M/C 03/15/12@9w5d (measuring 8w3d) They weren't kidding when they said "Beware the Ides of March" Image and video hosting by TinyPic BFP#2 06/13/12 - Emily Samantha born on Feb 9, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't be tit-for-tat; just as you didn't realize hostess gifts existed when you threw her shower, she probably didn't either.  I wouldn't feel presured to get her a lavish gift, but certainly a heart-felt thank you card and perhaps a small token of thanks (bottle of wine she likes, gift certificate for a pedicure, etc.).  As PP mentioned, I wouldn't give her and your step-mother their gifts at the same time.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh I wasn't going to give them their gifts at the same time. I do truly appreciate that she is helping my stepmom and doing a shower for me, and I want to give her something. I think a nice card with note and a pedi gift card will be sufficient. Thanks for the advice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"