September 2012 Moms

What is your plan for getting a flu shot?

This is not a "should I/shouldn't I?" post.  I am definitely getting a flu shot, as will DH and DD.

But, since LO#2 will be too young to get one this year, I'm thinking I should try to get it while I'm still pregnant so he or she can get some antibodies that way.  (I will also be BFing.)

I'm also thinking I should ask if I can bring DD in to our 2 week pedi check-up so she can get one too and I don't have to make a separate appointment.

My OB hasn't mentioned it yet and it just occurred to me that the shots should be available now, since it is almost September.

Have you gotten one already, or will you be trying to get one before you deliver?

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

Re: What is your plan for getting a flu shot?

• I've never had one, nor will I.  
  • hmp1hmp1 member

Good post, I haven't thought about this at all. I have never gotten a flu shot and wasn't planning on it. I'll talk to our pedi about it at our first appointment. 

Good call on asking to get LO1 at LO2's appt. Last year, DS got one at a routine well check but he doesn't have another one until Dec. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • My OB was offering them at my appt this week, so they are out there already.  DH will get one, but DS and I allergic to the flu shot and don't receive them.
  • imagemrssqueegy:
    Is it even flu shot season?  I don't think it is here.

I just asked my mom (she works in my PCP's office), and they have the shots now.

• I've gotten one every year since having DD.  DH gets them too as do all the grandparents.  I usually get one around October so I'll probably do at my checkup after the baby is born. I think if you have a small baby who cannot get vaccinated it is more important for those around the baby to have the shot. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For some strange reason every time we get them in our house hold we become so sick last time DH and DS both ended up in the hospital. So I think we are going to pass on them this year. I will call our pedi and see what he says but I would be afraid we will all get so sick again.
  • my ob was offering them this week, so i got one weds.  DH might? not sure yet.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehmp&mrj:

Good call on asking to get LO1 at LO2's appt. Last year, DS got one at a routine well check but he doesn't have another one until Dec. 

DD's next check-up isn't until next June, and I'm pretty sure one the last things I'm going to want to do with a newborn in tow is to have to take her for a separate appointment, just to get a shot.

I could probably get DH to bring her, but I'd rather him use his time off for when we first bring baby home.

• imageBethevans85:
    I've never had one, nor will I.  

Ditto - my neurologist is dead set against them. He rather I get the Pertussis Vac because that is virus specific. The flu shot, they take a guess on which strain to use in the vaccine. I know this because my Neuro's son-in-law is on the committee to decided which strain to use every year...its really a crap shoot in my opinion. 

• imageLindsayB8469:

imageBethevans85:

Ditto - my neurologist is dead set against them. He rather I get the Pertussis Vac because that is virus specific. The flu shot, they take a guess on which strain to use in the vaccine. I know this because my Neuro's son-in-law is on the committee to decided which strain to use every year...its really a crap shoot in my opinion. 

Agreed.  I know you are getting it but for other people reading, I am a teacher and MH is a paramedic and we never get them and *knock on wood* have yet to get the flu.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageTAGSL710:
    imageLindsayB8469:

imageBethevans85:

Agreed.  I know you are getting it but for other people reading, I am a teacher and MH is a paramedic and we never get them and *knock on wood* have yet to get the flu.

Okay...that's fine for you, but I got the flu once when I was in college and it was the sickest I have ever been.  There's no way I would chance getting it again with a toddler and an unimmunized infant in the house.

Hopefully the "other people reading" are wise enough to talk their OB or their pedi if they are undecided about the flu shot.

• They offer it at my office every October and I've gotten it the past 6 years. I will ask my OB what she recommends.
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • We'll all be getting one after delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got mine yesterday, but my OB said they came in earlly this year, so they might not be in everywhere yet.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I received both the flu and pertussis today.  My OB was in favor of doing them before LO arrived, though left the decision up to me.  H will be getting his in the next week or two.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll have to ask my OB. I don't know if I should get it while still pregnant or after. Pedi already has an appt for DS to get his.

• Trying to get one before I deliver.
  • I'll get one and ds will get one. Hopefully LO will be ok. They don't offer them from Kaiser until October, so I can't get one early, although it sounds like a good idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"