October 2011 Moms

my poor baby-update

Got bit by a mosquito on her eyebrow and now her right eye is swollen shut. She is still her happy self, but looks pretty pathetic. This picture is of her last night. This morning the eye was totally closed. We will be going to the pedi later...for what I am not sure, but they said they wanted to see her.

Update: I just talked to DH and he said they were still at the doctor and had just finished up getting blood work done and they were going to give her antibiotics. WTH? It is a mosquito bite that she had an allergic reaction to, I saw the mosquito and she had a similar reaction on her leg previously. The only reason she is at the doctors is because it was affecting her eye, otherwise we would have just put hydrocortisone on it.  What does she need antibiotics for? Of course DH doesn't ask any questions, just goes along with whatever. I am ticked and I wish I had just taken a sick day. Now my baby has had blood drawn...for what...idk, and will be getting an antibiotic shot...wth? Time for a new Pedi  I think.

note: I am all for using medications like antibiotics when it is medically necessary, for bacterial infections, but this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Re: my poor baby-update

• Oh man! Maybe an allergic reaction? I swell from mosquito bites.  I hope the swelling goes down for her.  

Have fun on your long weekend!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh my goodness, poor LO! I hope it clears up quickly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelissfriedrice:

Oh man! Maybe an allergic reaction? I swell from mosquito bites.  I hope the swelling goes down for her.  

Have fun on your long weekend!  

This, it's gotten better as I get older thank God. Are you sure it's from a mosquito bite? E had that once and it ended up extending across the side of his face and his ear turned purple and red. I was convinced it was spider bite but the pedi said seasonal allergies, prescribed him Zyrtec and it turned out that's what it was. It was crazy! 

• Yeah, I brushed the mosquito off her face, so I am pretty sure that is what got her. We were only outside for maybe 30 seconds when it happened. We must of walked right into it. DH has a similar reaction, so I guess I need to be more vigilant about insect repellant, but I am still hesitant to put that on her face.
  • imagelissfriedrice:
    Oh man! Maybe an allergic reaction? I swell from mosquito bites. nbsp;I hope the swelling goes down for her. nbsp;Have fun on your long weekend! nbsp;

This, I still get pretty bad reactions to them. I have to use a steroid cream otherwise it takes up to 3 weeks for one bite to go away!
    Hope that swelling goes down soon!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagejwls84:
    imagelissfriedrice:
    Oh man! Maybe an allergic reaction? I swell from mosquito bites. nbsp;I hope the swelling goes down for her. nbsp;Have fun on your long weekend! nbsp;
    This, I still get pretty bad reactions to them. I have to use a steroid cream otherwise it takes up to 3 weeks for one bite to go away! Hope that swelling goes down soon!

Steroid cream helps? I just suffer through it.  I suppose I have to get a doc to prescribe.  I found I have a pretty good pain tolerance, but the itching from bites is beyond nuts for me.   

• imagelissfriedrice:

imagejwls84:
    imagelissfriedrice:
    This, I still get pretty bad reactions to them. I have to use a steroid cream otherwise it takes up to 3 weeks for one bite to go away! Hope that swelling goes down soon!

Steroid cream helps? I just suffer through it.  I suppose I have to get a doc to prescribe.  I found I have a pretty good pain tolerance, but the itching from bites is beyond nuts for me.   

I use Benadryl cream, it's amazing. 

• Aww, poor thing!  Hope the swelling goes down soon!
  • imagecantalopes24:
    imagelissfriedrice:

imagejwls84:
    imagelissfriedrice:

Sweet.  Can I get this over the counter?

Thanks for the tip!  

• Oh that poor girl! I hope she will be OK. Maybe they can recommend something to put on it to take the swelling down like hydrocortisone cream.
    image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagelissfriedrice:
    imagecantalopes24:
    imagelissfriedrice:

imagejwls84:
    imagelissfriedrice:

Sweet.  Can I get this over the counter?

Thanks for the tip!  

Yep. I get it at Target and I think CVS has their own version. 

• imagelissfriedrice:

imagejwls84:
    imagelissfriedrice:

This, I still get pretty bad reactions to them. I have to use a steroid cream otherwise it takes up to 3 weeks for one bite to go away!
    Hope that swelling goes down soon!

Yep, works great for me, it is a prescription though. Benedryl works good too, but knocks me out so I only take it on extreme cases
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Poor babe. I was told that babies don't have natural antihistamines in their system to help against bug bites like we do until the age of 2. Maybe that is BS? Both my kids get big red bumps that take a few days to get rid of.
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Awe I hope they can give her something to help speed her recovery. Poor babe

Both DS1 and I were bitten a last month. Mine was right on the side of my leg and it looked like I had a second knee, It just cleared up last week. DS1 was bitten a few times on his lower leg and they were large but not as bad.

I guess it runs in the family

• Oh man! Poor baby! I hope the doctor can give you something to help get that down quicker. It looks painful.

I swear I can attract mosquitos from miles away. I can go outside with a large group of people and come back inside covered in bites and no one else will have a single bite. The west nile virus scares the crap out of me. I really hope Rocco does not get this mosquito attraction from me.

• Poor girl! I just wanted to butt in to say that the exact thing has happened to me 3 different times. I always freak out when I get a bug bite on my face in case it happens again where my eye gets all matted shut. It hasn't happened since high school, thankfully, but it is no fun. And as far as the antibiotics go, I'm sure they are just being extra cautious. If it did turn out to be an infection, it could spread to her eye and cause lasting vision damage.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • PP makes a good point that maybe the antibiotics are preventative in case of an infection, but I also would have asked (can you or your H call to ask?) and would be hesitant about giving my baby antibiotics unless it was absolutely necessary.

I react like that to mosquito bites, too.  I've had my eye swollen shut like your LO and one bite that covered 1/4 of my leg because it swelled so much.  It has gotten better as I've gotten older, though.  Except that now every time I go somewhere new I react badly again because the insects have slightly different venom everywhere.  When we were in Colombia I had a terrible bite on my leg that caused my ankle to swell like crazy.  We went to the doctor and struggled to explain what was going on (we'd only been there a short while and didn't know much Spanish, he knew almost no English, it was interesting) and I could see him thinking "What's wrong with this crazy Canadian girl, coming to the doctor for a mosquito bite?!"  I finally showed him my leg and he yelled "ay yay yay" and prescribed four different things (including an enema Indifferent) that I ended up not taking and just waited for the swelling to go down.

Anyway, that was my very long-winded way of saying that I'm sorry your LO is having such a crummy reaction to the bite and that I hope she feels better soon.  And I hope that she grows out of this kind of reaction quickly.

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

• imagemamaZbo:

Got bit by a mosquito on her eyebrow and now her right eye is swollen shut. She is still her happy self, but looks pretty pathetic. This picture is of her last night. This morning the eye was totally closed. We will be going to the pedi later...for what I am not sure, but they said they wanted to see her.

Update: I just talked to DH and he said they were still at the doctor and had just finished up getting blood work done and they were going to give her antibiotics. WTH? It is a mosquito bite that she had an allergic reaction to, I saw the mosquito and she had a similar reaction on her leg previously. The only reason she is at the doctors is because it was affecting her eye, otherwise we would have just put hydrocortisone on it.  What does she need antibiotics for? Of course DH doesn't ask any questions, just goes along with whatever. I am ticked and I wish I had just taken a sick day. Now my baby has had blood drawn...for what...idk, and will be getting an antibiotic shot...wth? Time for a new Pedi  I think.

note: I am all for using medications like antibiotics when it is medically necessary, for bacterial infections, but this doesn't seem like one of those times.

Call Your pedi's office and talk to either a nurse or the pedi.You have a right to know why they are prescribing Medication.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"