November 2012 Moms

Returning baby clothes after the fact.

So a few of you have suggested that not all clothes get washed, or have tags taken off because he may grow out of them before they have a chance to be worn. However some of the items we have had for months already. Also a lot of them we don?t have receipts for.

So my thoughts are can I even return something that I am sometimes not sure where it came from and has no receipt and is like 6 months old?

Part of me just wants to take my chances and have everything washed and ready to go.

Re: Returning baby clothes after the fact.

• A couple of things to think about:

1.) Is this your only (or last) baby?  If no, then just save everything for any subsequent children.  If yes, go ahead and take back anything you don't love.

2.) Even if you wash it and baby only wears it once or twice, you can always sell it when you're done having babies (consignment sales, garage sales, etc).

3.) Every store has different return policies.  Some don't mind if there's no receipt, but most do.  Target, WalMart, BRU, and a lot of other stores have a limit on how many times you can make a return or a set dollar amount that can be returned without a receipt.  I waited until I'd had all my showers to try and return things and I just went in with a stack and explained the situation.

4.) I may get flamed for this, but now that you have a baby, you will be invited to more and more showers and whatnot.  You can always save some of the things you don't like as much and use them as shower gifts in the future.

• I got to many newborn outfits and I was guessing they were from Kohl's. I just asked if I could exchange them for a different size. I didn't have a receipt and I didn't have any issues at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm just washing everything and going with it.  Most of the things people have given me don't have receipts.  Some have tags that I have no clue where they came from, and a lot of stores don't have great return policies anyway.  I'm amazed that there were no duplicates.  I like probably 95% of what people have bought him, and the 5% that I don't like can go be spare daycare clothes. Stick out tongue know I'll have at least 1 more kid if life goes as planned, so I'm not going to worry about it...  If he wears it, great, if not...  Not the end of the world.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • imagem i l l y:
    I got to many newborn outfits and I was guessing they were from Kohl's. I just asked if I could exchange them for a different size. I didn't have a receipt and I didn't have any issues at all. 

Kohl's has a very easy return policy, if you're lucky enough that they sell your stuff there.  I actually only have about 5 newborn outfits total, and I'm wondering if I should have more...  I have no idea how big he's going to be! Tongue Tied

Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • imageWVUPetunia:

imagem i l l y:
    I got to many newborn outfits and I was guessing they were from Kohl's. I just asked if I could exchange them for a different size. I didn't have a receipt and I didn't have any issues at all. 

Kohl's has a very easy return policy, if you're lucky enough that they sell your stuff there.  I actually only have about 5 newborn outfits total, and I'm wondering if I should have more...  I have no idea how big he's going to be! Tongue Tied

I would have said yes a few months ago; however, Carter's seems to set the sizing standard for quite a few other brands.  Recently Carter's has re-done their sizing charts.  Their newborn sizing is now for 5-8 lb babies.  DD1.0 was 7 lbs 10 oz (which is totally average) and did not regress much in weight.  If DD2.0 follows DD1.0's growth pattern, she'll wear NB clothes for about a month.  Having 5 cute NB outfits for going out is plenty.  However, you will need more clothes for what I call "home clothes", meaning onesies, gowns, etc.  HTH!

• I've washed everything that has entered my house.  I've folded stuff and put it away.  This is how I'm keeping inventory.  Mainly, I'm keeping HOW MUCH stuff I have in check.  In my opinion, if stuff is hanging up in the closet, unwashed with tags, the likelihood of me pulling if off the hangar and putting it on my baby is less than what is washed and ready to wear.  Seems simple to me.  If he never wears something, he never wears it.  Win for someone who buys it from the consignment shop I will be selling everything to!

ETA:  I have about 20 articles of clothing hanging in my own closet, never washed with tags.  I'm not going to drive somewhere to return them.  If I don't wear it, I don't wear it, and it get kicked out of my house when I do my "spring cleaning" every 6 months to get rid of access "stuff".

• imageCandaceLeigh:

4.) I may get flamed for this, but now that you have a baby, you will be invited to more and more showers and whatnot.  You can always save some of the things you don't like as much and use them as shower gifts in the future.

This made me laugh.

Typically, I would have no problem with re-gifting; however my SIL did this for a mutual friend's shower BUT she clearly split-up a 4-pack of onesies and only gave 1 of them as a gift. (it said something like "daddy's rockstar" and she didn't want it b/c the father of her baby is not in the picture) Anyways, it was pretty awkward when the mom-to-be also received the full 4-pack from another guest! hahaha

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• All of my thoughts exactly ladies. Looks like I will be washing this weekend while DH puts up the crib. YAY!
  • imageWVUPetunia:

imagem i l l y:

As a thirdtime mom, I'm going to say I have a handful of "newborn" sizes. We requested 0 to 3 months size clothes.

DS was 8lbs 3oz and DD was 6lbs 15oz. Both average size, and the clothes fit at birth, and lasted way longer than newborn size lasts.

But that's just my 2 cents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"