Babies: 3 - 6 Months

babys first cold

DD has a slight cough, stuffy nice, watery eyes and is sneezing. Earlier this week I was deathly ill with a fever of 103 but I am pretty sure that was from mastitis, and am being treated. I am bringing her to the doctors at 10 just to be safe... but what was your experience with your babies first cold? How long did it last? Did you do anything for it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: babys first cold

• Tenley's first cold lasted about a week. She still gets a little snotty, but it's really cleared up. Putting a humidifier in her room REALLY helped. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • All of the boys in Olivia's daycare class were sick so I figured it was coming.  She didn't have a real fever, but her body temp was elevated, she had a mild cough, really runny nose, she wasn't eating as much, she was cranky (not her personality norm AT ALL) and she fought sleep.

I gave her the recommended dose of baby tylenol for a week and she seemed to improve but it was a good 10 days before the runny nose and everything else was better.  The doctor asked me to bring her in on day 9, just to make sure her lungs were clear (they were) and he said it was probably a virus and needed to run its course.  When she was sick she really enjoyed bath time, the water must have felt good bc she'd get really cranky when I took her out of the tub.

I got sick right after she started showing symptoms and it lasted a couple days (it hit me pretty hard but I got over it pretty quickly)

• Loading the player...
  • DD had one around 2 months. We thought it may have been croup because she had laryngitis, but she didn't display any other croup symptoms. I always lose my voice when I have a cold, though, so it might just be a genetic reaction.

Anyway, it lasted for about 3-4 days, and we just kept her nose clean and kept her warm. It sort of passed on its own. You can also ask your pedi about giving infant Tylenol if she has a fever too. 

• did yo use saline drops?
  • My poor boy first got sick when he was 2 weeks old.  That was a auto date with the pediatrician right there.

I'm on day 7 with a bad cold and he caught it about 2 days after me.  I have been running the humidifier at night.  Saline nasal spray helps.  Get it up their nose, let it sit there for a minute or so and then suck out all the gunk with a bulb syringe.  Get some Vicks baby rub (not the regular adult strength) and put it on their chest and neck area.  Also undress your baby down to a diaper and run your shower on full blast heat.  Shut the bathroom door and sit on the toilet and let the place fill up with steam.  Stay in as long as you can, I make it about 5-7 minutes before I run out.  The steam helps open up their nasal passages.

Keep an eye out for a fever, if it gets high, consider calling the pedi. or give a does of baby Tylenol (it's your call on that)

• now her eye is read and watery and yellow gook! We just
  • My little guy has had some kind of virus two times now.  All the pedi says to do is keep an eye on his temp, use 2.5mL of infant tylenol if needed, use a humidifier, and wait it out.  They also mentioned saline nose drops for a stuffy nose.  He kicked both his sicknesses within a few days.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imagekkchisholm:
    now her eye is read and watery and yellow gook! We just

That could be a clogged tear duct or pink eye.  My DS has had both.  Right now he has eye drops for the pink eye.  It doesn't even phase him to put them in.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • imagekkchisholm:
    did yo use saline drops?

DD is almost over her first cold and saline drops have been extremely helpful in keeping her nasal passages clear.  Spray it up there and let it sit for a little bit and then use the bulb or an aspirator to clear it out.

• I just baught the target brand. it says to drop in infants and spray or drop in tolders... so its okay to spray infants?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"