Postpartum Depression

struggling with guilt

I have been struggling with severe anxiety and some depression since college. I started taking 10mg prozac a year before having DS and it changed my life. I finally felt better. I stayed on the prozac during my pregnancy and nursing DS. I felt so happy and content all of that time. After wearning DS, I weaned myself off of the prozac and felt good for a while. When I became pregnant with my DD, the depression started up. I started having trouble sleeping etc. I thought it was the pregnancy.

After I had DD, I felt great for a couple of weeks, then the trouble started up again. I would have a few good days and then a few bad days. Now, the bad days are frequent and the good days rare.

I went to my psychiatrist and she told me I should go back on my 10mg of prozac since it made me feel so great. I agree, but I'm feeling so guilty about exposing DD to this because we are nursing. Nursing is very important for me and I don't feel like weaning is an option, but I need to get well. My midwife said that it is fine to take while nursing and that a happy mom is the  best thing etc etc, but I can't get past this. DS was a very tough baby and is a tough child. He never slept well. DD is the best sleeper and such a relaxed baby. I can't help but have these thoughts.

I'm planning on taking the prozac tomorrow morning, but the guilt is awful. Anyone have a similar situation? I'm trying so hard to tell myself that it's a small dose and that she will probably not have any reactions. This guilt paired with the terrible anxiety is just killing me! uggh

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: struggling with guilt

• imagewheelsonthebus:

I have been struggling with severe anxiety and some depression since college. I started taking 10mg prozac a year before having DS and it changed my life. I finally felt better. I stayed on the prozac during my pregnancy and nursing DS. I felt so happy and content all of that time. After wearning DS, I weaned myself off of the prozac and felt good for a while. When I became pregnant with my DD, the depression started up. I started having trouble sleeping etc. I thought it was the pregnancy.

After I had DD, I felt great for a couple of weeks, then the trouble started up again. I would have a few good days and then a few bad days. Now, the bad days are frequent and the good days rare.

I went to my psychiatrist and she told me I should go back on my 10mg of prozac since it made me feel so great. I agree, but I'm feeling so guilty about exposing DD to this because we are nursing. Nursing is very important for me and I don't feel like weaning is an option, but I need to get well. My midwife said that it is fine to take while nursing and that a happy mom is the  best thing etc etc, but I can't get past this. DS was a very tough baby and is a tough child. He never slept well. DD is the best sleeper and such a relaxed baby. I can't help but have these thoughts.

I'm planning on taking the prozac tomorrow morning, but the guilt is awful. Anyone have a similar situation? I'm trying so hard to tell myself that it's a small dose and that she will probably not have any reactions. This guilt paired with the terrible anxiety is just killing me! uggh

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I just found out a few weeks ago that I am pregnant and I swear that I immediately started having feelings of depression. I am excited and happy to be pregnant, but the hormones are overwhelming. After my son was born I immediately went into horrible depression. I got on lexapro immediately and it definitely helped. They then added wellbutrin to it. I nursed him for a year and took the meds even longer than that. No problems whatsoever. He is a smart, normal, perfect little boy. I feel like you really need to take care of yourself in order to take care of your children. How long do you plan on nursing? I think only a very small percentage can even get to the baby.For some reason 5% rings a bell. I would definitely suggest starting it b/c it will help you be a better mother if you are happier. Good luck and I will be praying for you!

Also, you said you took meds while pregnant with your son? No problems then, right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with PP. Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do as a mother, five kids in I am just really figuring this out. I would give it a go and if you see a change in your DD then maybe stop. I took meds while nursing and pregnant and really felt like I was doing the right thing to have a happy family. Good luck to.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you, Ladies. I did take 10mg prozac during my pregnancy with DS and nursed him for 2 years on it. He is fine and never had any side effects at all. I was so happy during that time. So happy that I weaned off the prozac and felt great for many months.

I started the prozac again yesterday and of course I'm completely paranoid that DD isn't sleeping as well etc. I think it's just the anxiety because I honestly never even gave it a second thought with DS. I talked to my doctors and they said it was such a small dose, not even to worry. And I didn't. I was a happy, loving mother. I need to remember that feeling and tell myself that I'm going to feel better again.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"