August 2012 Moms

nights and days are mixed up. what did you do?

hey all,  sorry i've been MIA.

so, Koa is, for the most part, a really sweet little girl who doesn't do too much crying. 

the only real issue we're having is that she seems to have her days and nights mixed up.  i try to keep her awake when i can during the day, but come night time, she is no longer my sleeply little girl.  she seems to fight sleep during the night, but will sleep anywhere and under any circumstances during the day.

i know this is fairly common, but what have you done?

any success?

if your LO had this and then it improved, when did it start to improve (like at what age?).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: nights and days are mixed up. what did you do?

• I wake Shane to eat exactly 3 hours from the beginning of his last feeding to feed him again. If that means waking him, I wake him. Since I started that, he only wakes once at night. I'm pumping and supplementing so he lasts a little longer than if he was just BF.
    Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • 1. I was wondering how you were! Happy to hear she's doing so well! :)

2. Sergio was the same way. We did the same thing the PP did, per recommendation of his pediatrician. We started feeding him 3oz every 3 hours last week. If he was asleep, we'd wake him up, change his diaper, and feed him a bottle. Throughout the night, I'd let him wake us up, but after one day of waking him every 3 hours, he woke himself up every 3 hours throughout the night. Now, it's a week later and he has been sleeping about 4 hours at a time through the night. He's awake a lot more during the day as well, but I think that's just because he's getting older...sigh. :( We still wake him up every 3 hours to feed throughout the day, if we need to...but he usually wakes himself up at 3 hours on the dot.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Loading the player...
  • Day - lights on, tv/radio going, regular voice levels and now big sis running around, etc.

Nights - whispering, very low lights for changing/feeding, no stimuli.

Took about 6wks for DD, I'm sure it will be earlier this time around with an active big sis in the house.

• thanks for the input.  i definitely do wake her to feed her, probably closer to 2 hours apart, actually.  she isn't sleeping for long stretches of time in the day, but she is just much easier to sooth during the day as opposed to night.

during the day, if you put her in her crib wide awake, she will lay there for a few minutes cooing and talking to herself and then go to sleep.  if you do the same thing at night, she cries.  i have to trick her to go to sleep at night....get her to fall asleep in my arms and then try to be a trickster and get her into her crib.  then, i lay there tense for minutes, praying to any god that will listen to let her stay asleep.  she wakes up and then i repeat the cycle.  sigh.

• imagehooslisa:

thanks for the input.  i definitely do wake her to feed her, probably closer to 2 hours apart, actually.  she isn't sleeping for long stretches of time in the day, but she is just much easier to sooth during the day as opposed to night.

during the day, if you put her in her crib wide awake, she will lay there for a few minutes cooing and talking to herself and then go to sleep.  if you do the same thing at night, she cries.  i have to trick her to go to sleep at night....get her to fall asleep in my arms and then try to be a trickster and get her into her crib.  then, i lay there tense for minutes, praying to any god that will listen to let her stay asleep.  she wakes up and then i repeat the cycle.  sigh.

If you wait 15-20 minutes after she falls asleep in your arms, she'll enter her REM cycle of sleep and she'll stay asleep after you put her down. The trick to see if she's really in her REM cycle is to pick up her little arm and see if it just drops down (gently, of course) or to get up and walk around and see if she wakes up. This is the only way I get any sleep! I think now he actually knows he's going to be put down after 15 minutes because if I put him down a little early, he usually just looks around and goes back to sleep.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Congrats on your little girl! I must have been in labor when you announced! Anyway, Howell had this in the hospital and when we got home a few days. I set a clear nightime routine different from what we do for daytime naps.

We dim the lights. He nurses an hour in bed. First side just in his clean diaper. Put pjs on and do second side do he perks up enough to finish. Then I hold him a good ten minutes before putting him in his cosleeper. And we have a fan in the room on low that makes white noise. Who knows if that worked or he figured it out himself though. I assume it was him more than me!
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imagek.martell:
    Day lights on, tv/radio going, regular voice levels and now big sis running around, etc.Nights whispering, very low lights for changing/feeding, no stimuli.Took about 6wks for DD, I'm sure it will be earlier this time around with an active big sis in the house.
    This is what we're doing. Just a few days ago we started having 3 hour stretches at night and a little bit more awake time during the day! Slowly but surely it will get better.
  • imagek.martell:

Day - lights on, tv/radio going, regular voice levels and now big sis running around, etc.

Nights - whispering, very low lights for changing/feeding, no stimuli.

This is what we did as well.  DD and DS1 both corrected themselves by about 3-4 weeks old.  Remember, it's your LO's norm to be awake at night (that's likely when they were most active while still in the womb).  Hang in there! 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Congrats!

I don't post here often but I thought I would reply because I am having pretty good luck and I thought it might help.

My LO is 3 weeks old tomorrow and during the day she eats every 2-3 hours.  She wakes up about 7 or 8 and I feed her and change her out of her swaddle.  She is usually awake and happy at this time so I cuddle with her for about 15 minutes and then I lay her in her play mat.  She loves bright colors and loves her play mat.  She usually hits and kicks around for about an hour or so and then I feed her and she takes a nap from about 10-12pm.  When she wakes up,  I feed her and repeat. She is always pretty fussy around dinner time till bed.  She will fall asleep for 20 minutes here and there but for the most part she is awake.  During this time, I cluster feed (brestfeed) and around 8:30, I put her in her swaddle and feed her for the last time. She is usually in bed at 9 or 9:15 and sleeps till 3 or 4am.  I wake up, change her/feed her and she is out again within 30 minutes and sleeps till 7 or 8. 

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"