March 2013 Moms

Simply Curious - feeding choice

Re: Simply Curious - feeding choice

• I plan on equipping my baby hours after birth with a spear and a pack of corn seeds. It must make its own way in the world.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageLicia&Wayne:
    I plan on equipping my baby hours after birth with a spear and a pack of corn seeds. It must make its own way in the world.

LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on breast feeding unless this baby is allergic like my second baby was.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageLiciaWayne:
    I plan on equipping my baby hours after birth with a spear and a pack of corn seeds. It must make its own way in the world.
    Thank God someone is sensible around here. I was beginning to think we were all in a baby brain fog.
  • imageLicia&Wayne:

Bhahaha!  This made me smile.  Totally picturing a baby in all of nature's glory stalking prey in the woods.  Hilarious. 

• I plan to BF but DS has been FF so I have no issues if I decide to switch over to formula.

• imagemsf11:
    imageLiciaWayne:
    Thank God someone is sensible around here. I was beginning to think we were all in a baby brain fog.

Seriously! Teach a baby to fish and it will eat for a lifetime. Give it a bottle/boob, and it will just poop its pants!

It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • From my experience on here with my first daughter the vast majority of people plan breastfeed and do for a little while but then a lot of us (myself included) drop out fairly early.
  • imageLicia&Wayne:

imagemsf11:
    imageLiciaWayne:

Seriously! Teach a baby to fish and it will eat for a lifetime. Give it a bottle/boob, and it will just poop its pants!

lolllllll

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I don't like getting into this debate - people can get soooo nasty about this topic.

What I will say is that the minute that kid cuts a tooth, the boob is closing up shop.  I may pump at that point if it's still before the 6 month mark, but I am not BFing a baby with teeth.

• I originally was fine with formula feeding- BF just sounded weird to me.  But since getting pg I've been bombarded with "BREAST IS BEST" at my doctor's office, baby stores, even DH.  I get that it's proven to be better for baby, but I feel like I don't really have a choice in the matter.  I'm hoping that once LO arrives I won't be so weirded out by the process, that my motherly instincts will take over or whatever.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetinne004:

I originally was fine with formula feeding- BF just sounded weird to me.  But since getting pg I've been bombarded with "BREAST IS BEST" at my doctor's office, baby stores, even DH.  I get that it's proven to be better for baby, but I feel like I don't really have a choice in the matter.  I'm hoping that once LO arrives I won't be so weirded out by the process, that my motherly instincts will take over or whatever.

I don't think there's anything to be weirded out by, and you should give BFing a shot, but I will say that you DO have a choice.

• imageMizMess:

I don't like getting into this debate - people can get soooo nasty about this topic.

What I will say is that the minute that kid cuts a tooth, the boob is closing up shop.  I may pump at that point if it's still before the 6 month mark, but I am not BFing a baby with teeth.

I wasn't looking to start a debate and I hope that if it turns into such, people are respectful.  I was hoping to avoid any drama by leaving it as a poll.

It is totally a personal decision and there isn't really a "wrong" answer.  I was just curious what others were leaning towards - that's all.  Nothing more, nothing less!  :) 

• So far I have been very lucky to successfully breastfeed all of my LOs for the 1st year. Hoping for the same this time around. :)

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagewittyschaffy:
    imageMizMess:

I don't like getting into this debate - people can get soooo nasty about this topic.

I wasn't looking to start a debate and I hope that if it turns into such, people are respectful.  I was hoping to avoid any drama by leaving it as a poll.

It is totally a personal decision and there isn't really a "wrong" answer.  I was just curious what others were leaning towards - that's all.  Nothing more, nothing less!  :) 

Oops - didn't mean to suggest you were trying to stir up trouble.  I find myself curious about it, too.  I just try to tread carefully because it can get ugly - I do think setting it up as a poll was a good idea on your part :)

It's funny, I was just talking with my midwife about it today and realized that literally every woman I know who's had a baby in the past few years has really, REALLY struggled trying to BF.  So while I plan on giving it my best, I do feel there comes a point where it's either preserve your sanity and go with formula, or drive yourself nuts trying to do something that isn't working.

• imageLicia&Wayne:

imagemsf11:
    imageLiciaWayne:

This is how we raise our young in Asgard. Wise woman.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • imagetinne004:

I originally was fine with formula feeding- BF just sounded weird to me.  But since getting pg I've been bombarded with "BREAST IS BEST" at my doctor's office, baby stores, even DH.  I get that it's proven to be better for baby, but I feel like I don't really have a choice in the matter.  I'm hoping that once LO arrives I won't be so weirded out by the process, that my motherly instincts will take over or whatever.

You absolutely do have a choice.  Do what works for you, your family, your circumstances.  All that really matters is that your baby is fed. 

• Thor, I knew we were soulmates.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagejessuhmarie:
    imagetinne004:

This is the most natural way to feed your child. It is how kids forever and ever were fed before bottles were ever around. I'm not sure what's weird about that..

Comments like these are what start the nasty debate.  Obviously it's naturally and I'm pretty sure we all are aware that is how babies have been feed since the beginning of the time. 

That doesn't mean everyone feels like it's meant for them.

• I plan to do whatever works for us!!  If I find BF'ing is great, I will stick with that.  If BF doesn't work for us,then we'll go FF.  Either way our child will be eating high quality goods - formula has drastically changed over the years and offer babies plenty of good nutrition.  We will always do what is best for our child, either way we go. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • imageMizMess:

What if he/she doesn't bite?  DD nursed for over 2 years and never bit me. 

BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagesucrets4:
    imageMizMess:

Wow - I have heard from other mothers that they got bitten big time lol.  Glad you had better luck!

• imagejessuhmarie:
    imagetinne004:

This is the most natural way to feed your child. It is how kids forever and ever were fed before bottles were ever around. I'm not sure what's weird about that..

LOOOOOVE it when people who have never BF before get on their high horse about breastfeeding. It's harder than it looks.

I BF my DD for 3 months but my supply sucked. She was always supplemented by formula even after many interventions by multiple lactation consultants. I am going to BF this child as well, but no pressure to keep it up for X length of time.

• imageLicia&Wayne:

Yes This made me laugh so hard!!! Thanks, I needed that :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagetinne004:

Considering the way our country sexualized the female body (esp. breasts), I can see where you're coming fromt. At a meeting for new and expectant moms I went to yesterday, the leader gave good advice. She suggested going to LLL (or any breastfeeding friendly support groups) before giving birth just so that you can watch women breastfeed. She said not only does that help us get used to what it looks like, but the best way to learn is to watch and ask other women who BF. She said it often looks and feels a lot different than we imagine, so being around other women who breastfeed can help give us a more realistic idea of what to expect.

I'd never thought of doing that before, but I think I'm going to find a few meetings I can get to before we give birth as a way to help me learn and become more comfortable with it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Honestly- I plan on not even thinking about it until the baby gets here. BF'ing has been incredibly stressful and emotionally painful for me in the past and I am choosing to not freak out about it this time. I will put baby to breast as soon as its born like I did with both my other kids and I'll give it the old college try for the 1st month since thats what DH and I agree upon then I will go from there...I am definitely very pro-BF'ing but I also am someone who has formula fed both my kids for a period of time. There are more important things such as a moms mental health and well being to consider when it comes to making the decision of how to feed your child.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMizMess:
    imagesucrets4:
    imageMizMess:

Wow - I have heard from other mothers that they got bitten big time lol.  Glad you had better luck!

Biting can definitely happen, but there are ways to avoid it or end it.  I have been bitten by all 4 of mine, but the worst was the very first time.  #1 got TWO teeth at just barely 4mo and THREE more at 5mo.  As soon as he got that third tooth, he bit me, and it drew blood (it was Valentine's Day, how romantic).  I learned to recognize his mannerisms pre-bite and saved myself from any more horrors and went on to bf long after the first birthday with all of them.

• For those of you who battled supply issues, I HIGHLY recommend visiting your local herb/health foods shop and getting some Fenugreek to use after your LO is born. My midwife told me about it when I was struggling with my supply after my 1st. It's a natural herb, COMPLETELY safe for mom & baby, and it was a MIRACLE worker for me! You take it in excess for the benefits of milk reproduction. When I say excess, I mean 9-12 capsules a day. Start out with 9; I did 3 capsules 3 x's a day. If after a couple days you don't notice an improvement, bump it up to 12. Either 4 three x's a day or 3 four x's a day.. it doesn't matter. The only side effect I ever had was I smelled like maple syrup.. completely normal. I've recommended it to many of my friends & family and they always had good results as well. I'm tellin' ya.. it is AMAZING stuff!

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Breastfeeding is natural, but is it easy? Not always. I am pretty sure that if the sweet nurse at the hospital hadn't physically grabbed my boob and shoved it in my new baby's mouth in various ways for over an hour, I would have given up and gone to formula.

The best advice I can give is to a) ask for help at the hospital to get the proper latch-on technique b) do your own research BEFORE you have the baby, I love the LLL book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" c) don't pump or give bottles/pacifiers for the first 6 weeks, pumping that early will mess up your milk supply big time d) lastly, if you try and it just isn't working for you don't feel bad if you have to switch to formula! Being a new mom is hard enough without us judging ourselves and each other.

• I'm hoping to breast feed for as long as possible with this LO but I know I will have to supplement with formula because I am/can't take off any time from school when LO is born and I won't be able to pump constantly.
    I BF DD for 13 months without supplementing once, I pumped the whole first month because she was a preemie and Bfing was too hard...too much work for her.

I also had doubts about how it would feel and if it would be weird but once I started I absolutely loved it and it really did feel natural to me. Plus it's free and WAY more conveinient than FF...apparently now you have to boil the water before you mix it with the formula powder and then let it cool to room temp because there is bacteria in the powders.

Everyone's choice is their own but I do encourage everyone to at least try BFing. A lot of time there are problems and it can't be done and that's completely understandable. The people who think its just plain gross I think are immature...not saying anyone here, I've just heard that before, and that disappoints me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemommajewels87:

For those of you who battled supply issues, I HIGHLY recommend visiting your local herb/health foods shop and getting some Fenugreek to use after your LO is born. My midwife told me about it when I was struggling with my supply after my 1st. It's a natural herb, COMPLETELY safe for mom & baby, and it was a MIRACLE worker for me! You take it in excess for the benefits of milk reproduction. When I say excess, I mean 9-12 capsules a day. Start out with 9; I did 3 capsules 3 x's a day. If after a couple days you don't notice an improvement, bump it up to 12. Either 4 three x's a day or 3 four x's a day.. it doesn't matter. The only side effect I ever had was I smelled like maple syrup.. completely normal. I've recommended it to many of my friends & family and they always had good results as well. I'm tellin' ya.. it is AMAZING stuff!

I've heard too that adding Blessed Thistle bumps it up even more.  If you are worried about getting pg while bfing and don't want to use Fenugreek (which is NOT ok to take while pg), then try the combination of Nettle and Alfalfa.  It didn't help me as much as Fenugreek + Blessed Thistle while I was donating, but once I got close to 1y I was worried about getting pg (my cycles come back between 13m and 17m), so I switched.

• imagemommajewels87:

For those of you who battled supply issues, I HIGHLY recommend visiting your local herb/health foods shop and getting some Fenugreek to use after your LO is born. My midwife told me about it when I was struggling with my supply after my 1st. It's a natural herb, COMPLETELY safe for mom & baby, and it was a MIRACLE worker for me! You take it in excess for the benefits of milk reproduction. When I say excess, I mean 9-12 capsules a day. Start out with 9; I did 3 capsules 3 x's a day. If after a couple days you don't notice an improvement, bump it up to 12. Either 4 three x's a day or 3 four x's a day.. it doesn't matter. The only side effect I ever had was I smelled like maple syrup.. completely normal. I've recommended it to many of my friends & family and they always had good results as well. I'm tellin' ya.. it is AMAZING stuff!

My LC had me try fenugreek but I don't think I took it in that high of a dosage (I would remember taking 9-12! lol). Obviously a low dosage didn't work for me but I will try to remember this for this LO. Thanks for the tip! 

• I didnt vote because I would like to do both. I am hoping to BF for the first three months ish but not exclusively. Someone suggested doing the first and last feeding as BF and the rest as FF. I want LO to take a bottle and I want help! I have heard the stories of how hard BF is and I think I want to try it, but I know its not something I can keep up when returning to work. I have nowhere to pump and I do not want to be attached to a pump all day long. I am still looking into how to do both or which feedings to do which. Any advice?
  • Weirds me out, too. Sorry! Attack away...

Any remotely intelligent woman knows that breast feeding is good for baby. That doesn't make it the be all end all. Formula feeding is good too. Some women cannot breast feed, some can't stand it.  

This is my third child. I've been there done that. I will be formula feeding.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagejessuhmarie:
    imageashmmill:
    imagejessuhmarie:
    imagetinne004:

LOOOOOVE it when people who have never BF before get on their high horse about breastfeeding. It's harder than it looks.

I BF my DD for 3 months but my supply sucked. She was always supplemented by formula even after many interventions by multiple lactation consultants. I am going to BF this child as well, but no pressure to keep it up for X length of time.

I wasn't on my high horse and I certainly didn't say it was a cake walk. I asked her why it weirded her out. TOTALLY different. I never said one word about how everyone should BF or anything of that nature. It sounds like you came into this post looking for an argument.

No, but you were giving her the business about being weirded out by it. Who cares how people feed their babies as long as they are feeding them! All the stigma about the "natural, best, etc." is what makes people who choose not to, suck at it (such as myself), or can't for whatever reason feel like lesser of mothers, and they don't need to. 

• imagejessuhmarie:
    imagetinne004:

I have to say that before I had DD I thought breast feeding was way too "National Geographic" for me. When i got pg I didn't register for any supplies (pumps, creams, pads, etc.) and didn't read any books about it. I decided I would try it and if it worked it worked. I had no problem giving her formula if I had to. The truth is after Dd was born I loved the bond we shared from Bf'ing. She's almost 14 months old and while we're down to only one session a day I've really enjoyed it. I hope I have as great of an experience with my second.

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJezebell26:
    I didnt vote because I would like to do both. I am hoping to BF for the first three months ish but not exclusively. Someone suggested doing the first and last feeding as BF and the rest as FF. I want LO to take a bottle and I want help! I have heard the stories of how hard BF is and I think I want to try it, but I know its not something I can keep up when returning to work. I have nowhere to pump and I do not want to be attached to a pump all day long. I am still looking into how to do both or which feedings to do which. Any advice?

In the beginning they recommend that you Bf exclusively to avoid potential supply issues. I think at around 3 or 4 weeks is when they say is a good time to introduce a bottle. Any earlier and it may effect how the baby takes to the breast...any later and they could get nipple confusion.

When I originally went back to work I pumped in a room, but then I swiched jobs and didn't have anywhere to do it so I started pumping in my car. I despised pumping, but by that point I had gotten really committed to BF'ing. I would pump three times a day. In the morning on my way to work ( probably not super safe but it worked for me) and I would split my lunch break in half and go to my car and pump twice during the work day.

Im all for doing whatever works best for you. If you ever need any advice on Bf I'd be more than glad to help. 

Mr.&Mrs. Ash&Vic Est.1.21.2006 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"