May 2012 Moms

Constantly wishing away the time...

I'm so frustrated with myself, but I constantly find that I'm wishing away the time and that DD was older. Granted, she's a lot more fun and easier to deal with at almost 3 months than at, say, 4 weeks, but I'm sooooooooo ready to get to an age when they're really more interactive and communicative (not to mention can keep themselves amused for longer than 10 minutes). I feel bad because I know that we're supposed to savor the moment, that later I'll probably look back and regret not enjoying her when things went by so quickly, and honestly I should always just be happy with who she is! She's not overly fussy, but she's definitely not the easiest baby out there and is pretty needy and sensitive - she always wants me around, she gets tired after about an hour of being awake and becomes cranky, but at the same time she's a huge nap fighter which is tough, and she still wakes up about 4 times/night with no sign of sleeping longer anytime soon. I also think that she gets kind of frustrated because she wants to do more than she's capable of; for example, she seems to get mad quickly on the activity gym because she can't really control her arms yet but wants to grab a hold of the toys. So part of me also feels like she will also be able to enjoy everything more once she's a little older and more capable. I look at pictures of my friends' kids who are older and feel a little bit jealous of where their babies are developmentally. I think my biggest concern is that I'll always be like this - instead of enjoying DD, I'll always think 'well, this is OK, but I can't wait to get to this other stage!' I really hope that that's not true, though... I want SO badly to enjoy her completely!

Am I the only one? I guess this is sort of my perpetual bad mom moment... Why can't I just be happy with DD as she is right now?? Shouldn't we always love our children for who they are?? I mean, I do love her so much, but why am I so anxiously waiting for her to change?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Constantly wishing away the time...

• Dh and I just had this conversation. We love watching dd do new things, meet new milestones but we also know how much we LOVE the older stages. We have 2 other kids and have gone through it. I don't think that there is anything wrong with wanting your LO to be more capable. Some people LOVE the infant stage while others HATE it. Just like some people LOVE being pregnant and others, myself included HATE it. Although I must not have hated it too much, I did it 3 times. Just try to live in the moment and enjoy the new things she does and know that time goes so fast and soon you will be trying to remember those times you didn't think  you liked in past. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Completely agree, and I know I felt this way with DD1 but yet my husband and I discuss how she was never this bad, haha but I know deep down she was just now its times 2 and with a 2 year old destroying everything it makes your patience for that age a lot less. They also cry if not paying attention to them. I can actually have them laying on the floor next to each other and if I'm talking to say Aria and looking at her, Arilyn will cry, so I focus attention on Arilyn and Aria cries! I just can't win! This stage is BY FAR better than newborn, I hate wishing away newborn stage but seriously it is sooo hard! I just can't wait for them to keep hold of the toy they want or reach and grab it if they drop it and to hold their bottles! They want to so bad but just knock it out of their mouths continuously and it is soooo frustrating for everyone!

But it will get better and don't beat yourself up for feeling this way. You are not alone!!

• Loading the player...
  • imageRamaOtster:

I feel like this sometimes too and then I see something like FyreFlyes post about sids and feel sick to my stomach thinking about how often I've been frusterated with LO for not going to sleep...

I honestly think it has made me realize how lucky we are to have LO 

Exactly!! That's another reason why I feel so guilty, but I can't stop my brain from thinking it... I try to remind myself to appreciate every moment, and it's not that I'm miserable by any means, but in the back of my mind I still constantly think 'but it'll be soooo much better when she's 6 months old!'

But it is good to hear that I'm not alone, and it's true - different people DO like different stages more than others. It does give me hope that I won't always be feeling like this :)

I also can't imagine trying to mind twins at the same time! Gosh, that must be really tough! 

• I feel that way sometimes too.  When I do though, I'll go back and look at ALL my photos of LO since Day 1.  And then I realize how amazingly fast they grow, and I remember what it was like I struggled to keep him awake for feedings as a newborn, or that adorable sound he made in the hospital before he really cried, etc.  So seeing the way he used to be, makes me appreciate the way he is now, and that helps me savor the moment!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Don't feel bad! DH and I totally felt the same way with our first. This time, I don't feel that way -- I think it's because you have zero benchmark for your first baby and everything seems like it takes forever! Now that DD1 is 3, I cannot keep her from growing and it's going too fast. So with DD2, I feel like I'm able to enjoy the different stages more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Not me the newborn is hard but the three month is much easier than the terrible twos my middle is entering or the sarcasm my eight year old is full of. Try to enjoy it so soon they are so much bigger and so are their problems.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • I'm hoping that I can get better at enjoying the moment soon! Like I said, I definitely enjoy it a lot more now than I did 6/7 weeks ago... I can also see it being easier to enjoy the 2nd+ child once you know what to expect when, and why certain things are happening with LO.
  • imagemkflower3000:
    I'm hoping that I can get better at enjoying the moment soon! Like I said, I definitely enjoy it a lot more now than I did 6/7 weeks ago... I can also see it being easier to enjoy the 2nd+ child once you know what to expect when, and why certain things are happening with LO.

yup! I think each baby teaches you unique things: dd1 taught me patience, this one is teaching me to slow down more

• I just wanted to say that I too thought LO would never sleep through the night. at 2 1/2 months she was up at least 3 times and I thought she just wouldnt be one of htose babies who sttn....

well RANDOMLY, one night around 3 months she started to sttn... 8 or 9pm  to 7 or 8am and has been since. On her own she eats less frequently but more at one feeding. I feed her on demand and never cut her off.  I started a bedtime routine around 2 months so maybe that helps.. but I just wanted to let you know it can happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"