Stay at Home Moms
Options

Are boys just missing a "common sense" gene?

Or maybe it's just mine? This morning my 3.5 year old was amusing himself by doing pull-ups onto the kitchen counter while I made breakfast. All of a sudden, out of the blue, he says "Mommy, watch this!" He pushed up off the floor with his hands flat on the counter, planted his feet on the dishwasher, and then totally pistoned himself backward....straight into the kitchen island.

I was totally freaking out because he hit hard, and he had a huge goose-egg on the back of his head, but as soon as I determined he didn't have a concussion, I was so exasperated with him. I said, "WHY DID YOU DO THAT???" and he said "But I didn't know there was anything back there!!!!" Um, OK, kiddo...the island has been there since you were born, you walk around it every day of your life, but suddenly it's a huge shock when you can't just go sailing through it?

Aye yai yai. I love boys, but I think they're making me go prematurely gray. 

Re: Are boys just missing a "common sense" gene?

• Options

Oh my goodness, this made me laugh :) What a crazy little guy, haha. Glad he's ok! Isn't it funny how they are just fearless? I wish they had an ounce less of that, and I had an ounce more :)

A stunt double in the future? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My five yr old amuses himself by trying new crazy things all the time this week its skateboarding and no matter how many times he falls or scraps he gets he gets up and keeps trying lol boys will be boys
    GinaNate210
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is only 9 months old, has just started army crawling, and I am fairly certain that he will do something similar throughout his childhood. I'm preparing myself for many sprints to keep my kid from seriously injuring himself. :) 
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    A house full of boys is always full of action. This sounds like something my 4 yr old would do for sure. And yes, the piece of furniture would be the offender. Yet again, proof that 4 yr olds do not always understand cause and effect. I look forward to the day when he'll think things through before acting, but I imagine that will be awhile yet! Sometimes, I think I seem him trying to decide whether or not to do something.....he usually goes for it even if he thinks I won't like it. But this is usually just at our house....he's slightly more cautious when I take him out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would say that is pretty common for the age. I just think these things happen more to boys than girls because they tend to be "rough" in general. But my one twin girl would totally do that. She really should have been a boy and I see many trips to the ER and broken bones coming my way. She broke her collar bone back in July and a month later we were in the ER because she split open the bottom of her chin and required to have surgical glue to pull the wound together (they don't like to do stitches on those kinds of wounds anymore, glue is a better option). When I took her to the Pedi. Ortho for her collar bone, he said "try to keep her from falling on it again for the next month while it heals" as she was running around the exam table with her arm in a sling and then said "good luck with that Mom". She just runs around until she falls or hits something pretty much. She loves to chase lizards on our back deck and frogs.

Her twin, no way. Very cautious about everything and hates touching dirt. Such a girly girl.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yup, my 4 year old jumps off everything and looks at me funny when I tell him it's a bad idea and he's going to get hurt.   
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it carries over into adulthood. My dh is very smart in all aspects, but he sucks at taking me places the same way 2x. When I wanted to go to destination maternity, it was an hour away, well he decided to take a "shortcut" and it took us 1 hour 45minutes to get there. I really wanted to walk around the mall that the store was in but it took us so long to get there that we had to shop quick and leave because we had play tickets for the local school play that night.

When we were leaving I snarkly said to him...we are going down Rte X to get home right? He knew I was ticked.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"