July 2012 Moms
Options

LO throwing up-what to do?

Lo has thrown up breastmilk(we're talking projectile here) at least 4 times in 3 days. Now some of the time Ive walked in on him in his crib at night in a puddle of spit up could of been throw up and I would just never know. So it may have been more.

LO pees and poops alot so it doesnt seem like he is dehydrated. But he does feel hot and looks flush. We did a temp last night and it was normal(although the thermometer my DH bought is kinda  complicated so Im not sure of how accurate it is).

We made an appt for an 1 1/2 from now but Im worried. LO actually slept for about 8 hours out of the day yesterday which is not like him, he usually only sleeps like 3 hours total(he is very gassy/colicky).

Has anyone else had experience with this throwing up?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LO throwing up-what to do?

• Options

DD has reflux and it sounds like what you are going through, too. She will projectile vomit (we describe it as the vomit fountain). It is NOT just spit up. Is the puddle in a line out away from your LO? That is how it looked in her crib. She wouldn't actually be laying in it, it would be in a stream out from her, she even managed to get it on the floor. The other day she managed to get the rug, the tile, her swing, me, and one of the dogs all at once! THAT was fun to clean up, lol.

She is on Zantac now which doesn't stop the puking but it does neutralize the acid so that it won't damage her esophogus coming back up. The good news, for us, is that it HAS decreased in frequency. Also, remember that it looks like a lot of milk (I was afraid she was spitting up whole feedings), but it typically is not. DD is gaining perfectly at 6 1/2 weeks old despite the reflux and is 100% breastfed.

DD now sleeps in her Rock N Play. She needs to sleep at an angle. This seems to help both with the reflux itself and her own comfort.

We also have to keep her upright after she nurses for 30 minutes. I just pull the boppy out away from me a bit so that her head is propped on it and her feet are under it on my lap so we can still cuddle and she can fall asleep.

We did an upper GI test with the barium (sp?) swallow, which sucked but did at least give us the knowledge that there is nothing wrong with her physically, just the normal not-yet-fully-developed muscle that keeps her food down. Reflux is supposed to go away starting at 6 months when the muscle begins to strengthen.

I'm now trying Probiotics with her but we just started so nothing to report yet. Good luck and I hope you can get some help for your LO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"