Breastfeeding
Options

nursing in public?

I EBF and LO has a hard time taking a bottle from me. He cries until he gets nursed. I am still nursing about every 2 hours. And recently I have been nursing with nursing cover in waiting rooms (dr's office) and have nursed in the car. I noticed how uncomfortable other people get when they see me nursing. I have not nursed at the mall or anywhere else more public like restaurants etc...Has anyone else and what has your experience been like?

Re: nursing in public?

• Options

I am slowly practicing... I don't use the cover, it makes it more obvious.

I got some good nursing tops and I put an oversized burp cloth covering the top of my breast/ LO's head. It is more discrete. I did it in a school meeting and it didn't attract much attention.

I will try in a restaurant now that DH will be back!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I nurse everywhere. Restaurants, mall, walking, target, etc. I don't pay attention to how others are reacting. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemwitter80:
    I nurse everywhere. Restaurants, mall, walking, target, etc. I don't pay attention to how others are reacting. 

Yup!  Do what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about others ;) 

• Options
    imagencbelle:

imagemwitter80:

Yup!  Do what makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about others ;) 

This. It's their problem if they're uncomfortable, not mine.
  • Options
    I have just recently become more comfortable with NIP.  I use a cover most places unless I am nursing in the car, then I don't care.  I have nursed at the mall, a museum, in my car, at the Dr. office, in a restaurant, etc.  I have done it pretty much everywhere at least once!  I am starting not to care what other people think.  I think that feeling will go away with time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options

Now that LO is almost a year I don't nurse in public because everyone in sight would get a fantastic view of my boobs.  She has to have both out now, and bounces from side to side.  Ha ha ha. 

Anyways I nursed in public plenty when she was younger.  I would bring a light blanket, and sometimes I would use it.  Often what I was wearing would be enough to cover.  

• Options

I've done it with a cover... It's not the most comfortable or convenient thing for either of us, but it was the only thing I could do at the time. I've also had DD in the k'tan with a giant sunhat on, and been able to nurse her that way without anyone seeing what was actually going on.

I try to be as discreet as I can, and I understand that some people are uncomfortable, but I also feel that they should meet me halfway - I use the cover, which means that they don't have to see anything. At that point, there's not much more than they can expect of me!

I think some restaurants are more friendly to it than others (ie, the more informal ones), so you sort of have to get the feel for the place to really know. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I used to NIP all the time (LO is older now, so he only nurses a few times a day) and almost never got bad looks.  Most people didn't notice or didn't care, and I even got a few positive comments.  I didn't use a nursing cover, so I'm not sure if maybe that makes a difference?

Are you sure they are uncomfortalbe?  Maybe they are just confused (like, "hey I wonder what she's doing under that blanket there") or they are just avoiding looking for your own privacy.  It could be different in different areas, but where I am (the Northeast) the majority of people are not made uncomfortable by NIP.

My advice is don't worry about it, and if you are worried, don't look around for other people's reactions while you are NIP.  Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if maybe you are seeing something that isn't there (regarding people's reactions to your NIP).

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"