Trouble TTC
Options

ivf: have you been told NOT to bd?

The nurse told us to abstain for the entire cycle. I was a bit surprised by this. Not that I expect it to work, but wouldnt they want us to try all that we can?
together since 2006
full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
Bloodwork: normal
2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
New RE appt 8/14/12
IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
Beta #1 BFP! 97
Beta #2 234
Beta #3 4937
ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
10/20/12 graduated!!!
EDD 6/7/12
Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: ivf: have you been told NOT to bd?

• Options

No.  I was give a certain point/date that we do have to stop and another date when MH has to ejaculate before the transfer. 

I suppose if you're doing a quick cycle, no BCP/Lupron I could see it maybe?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were given no restrictions during the Lupron suppression cycle.  However, we are not having sex during stimming.  DH was told to ejaculate every 2-5 days throughout the suppression and stim cycle though....
    Baking Blog | TTC Blog | Pinterest
    TTC #1 since October 2010 | Began Testing in January 2012
    DH SA - low motility with 0% morph; varicocele (repaired); low T (on Clomid)
    IVF w/ICSI (long Lupron w/ Repronex and Follistim) in September 2012

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were told to abstain for a few days before ER and after ET - not the whole cycle though.
  • Options
    We were told to abstain from about 8-10 days before trigger and we're still abstaining now... we were told we could be abstaining for the whole first tri if we get a BFP... DH is pretty befuddled about that one.
    TTC #1 2+ Years with Unexplained IF
    1st & Only BFP: 1st IVF w/ ICSI, 3dt of 2 7-cell, grade 2 embryos on 8/25/12
    Beta #1 9/5: 87.2 BFP! - Beta #2 9/7: 248 - 1st US @ 6w3d Two Heartbeats! - MoDi Girls!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We are because of my uterine polyp surgery. No sex for two weeks which will drop us into the middle of stims hopefully. DH is in for a surprise...haha. He didn't go with me for surgery and had to work the last few nights so he isn't aware.
  • Options
    We had to abstain 4 days before ER until our Beta 9/4. No orgasm from ET until our Beta- maybe longer...........torture......

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options

imageWifey xo:
    We had to abstain 4 days before ER until our Beta 9/4. No orgasm from ET until our Beta- maybe longer...........torture......

No orgasms?  What's that about?  They didn't mention anything about abstaining during my consult so now I'm curious about that...

Me: 43 DH: 39 - AMA, DOR
    Mommy to Sami (IVF), Born 8.30.13
    Surprise non-assisted BFP - 12.29.2014, Beta 1 = 322, Beta 2 = 760
    EDD 9.7.2015

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    imageJuicy71:

imageWifey xo:

No orgasms?  What's that about?  They didn't mention anything about abstaining during my consult so now I'm curious about that...

Yes, this was an instruction during our group orientation. When I asked the OR nurse after transfer, I think she thought I was messing with her (I joke alot) and my husband and I were not really clear. I do see this instruction on the website's of other IVF clinics as well, although not always.

Fun times! GL!

imageimage

Me:41/ lean PCOS, 2 clotting disorders, IC/ DH:41~ TTC since 1/11
    Clomid 50mg,100mg,150mg | Injectables + IUI#1 & IUI#2= BFN
    IVF#1~ 8/2012~ 13 frosties~ BFP! OHSS
    12/4/12 Luke & Kyle born @ 18 weeks
    SHG+ Hysteroscopy+ FET= BFP | Cerclage+ Lovenox+ 5m Bed Rest
    ~Our wee guy is here! 11/27/13~

PAL January Siggy Challenge~ Good Advice

• Options
    We were told to abstain before ER and ET but not the entire cycle.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagelily_721:
    Not that I expect it to work, but wouldnt they want us to try all that we can?

To clarify, it sounds like you might not completely understand how IVF works.  If your IVF goes properly there's no possible way that having sex could "work."  You would have to ovulate and have an egg or eggs available in your fallopian tubes in order to get pregnant from sex.  In IVF they do anything they can to make sure you don't ovulate because they harvest all of the eggs just before you ovulate in order to do the insemination. 

I'd guess there are a few different things they worry about - number and timing of ejaculations can affect your H's sperm results, and the motions involved in sex and orgasm can sort of "shake things up" to use a totally technical term.  :)  Abstaining the whole IVF cycle sounds a bit extreme, but you can see many people here got some variation on your instructions.

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"