2nd Trimester
Options

FYI Ikea Furniture

While it is SO inexpensive, the pieces dubbed "baby" furniture are SO small!! They had a set for $299- crib, armoir, and bookcase/changing table.  Great price, right???  Well, the amoir was no taller than me -- I am about 5 foot 6.  I felt like a giant lol.  :(

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: FYI Ikea Furniture

• Options

lol This is because the brand was made to fit in small spaces in Europe, and here in the States we've adopted the modern theme they have. :p Over there, it isn't uncommon for you to have a family of several people living in 800 or less square feet. 

Yeah, I was a little disappointed in the crib selection, just because I was hoping for bigger slats than what they had. Oh well!!  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    It isn't ALL small.  I have the Gulliver crib and LOVE it!
    Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    In most furniture stores the kid furniture is smaller. 
  • Options
    I think my problem is that I am comparing it to DS' furniture.  He has Stanley furniture from the Young America collection.  The pieces are big as they are meant to be kept until adulthood. Unfortunately, we are unable to afford furniture like that for this LO.  :(
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We got our crib there plus an adult dresser and bookcase. The sizes are fine, and DS's room is small anyway, so I would want larger pieces anyway. Compact, sturdy, with plenty of storage.

We will be going with Young America for our sons' big boy furniture. They have great furniture, but I wouldn't want it at the mercy of a toddler.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am now considering getting a dresser & bookcase from Ikea (from the adult stuff) and a crib from somewhere else.  I don't consider myself to be a tall person, but I was disappointed with the height of the "baby" pieces there.
  • Options
    Why would you want a taller crib? The lower it is the shorter the fall for your toddler when he learns to climb out.

• Options

You are 100% right in that respect, but I am looking for a more substantial piece of furniture. 

And when I said about the height, I meant the bookcase and armoire.   

• Options
    We got the Sundvik crib and it fits a standard mattress but it's definitely shorter.  Being short myself, I like that.  We got the Hemnes dressers to go with it though and they are big and sturdy!
  • Options

Just an FYI for the future about IKEA, their toddler beds don't take crib mattresses.

Aaaaand we'll be returning to IKEA this weekend or next week (2-4 hours away one way) to go pick up a mattress.  Ugh. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm planning on purchasing my crib from Ikea. I enjoy their furniture in general, and at 5'2", I prefer a shorter crib. They do take a standard sized mattress. I think they suit their function just perfectly, especially for a smaller space.
  • Options
    Yeah, we'll be getting the crib from Ikea since I'm short and prefer the lower rails (less hoisting a sleeping baby up and over high rails = better IMO), but we'll stick to our normal "grown up" furniture for the rest of the room.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i bought a Sundsvik crib from IKEA and it's not bad.  dh wants a infant crib instead of 4 in 1 convertible.  we are going to put it in our bedroom together with the changing table and the dresser and they are all perfect in our room.  We are planning to buy a better full size bed when our LO is older.  The cribs from ikea can only convert to toddler bed the most and that's what we need.  
  • Options

Please know that I meant no disrespect to you when I was talking about the furniture.  Your siggy pic is actually what got me interested in Ikea to begin with!  :) 

imagebearkatjen:
    Why would you want a taller crib? The lower it is the shorter the fall for your toddler when he learns to climb out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"